1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Online Firearm sales questions.

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Ross817, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross817

Ross817 TS Member

0   0   0

I'm sadly looking to part with my MX2000 Skeet combo. I have never sold such an expensive item online and have a few questions regarding thow this process works. First of all I know paypal is frowned upon in the firearms community based on their, and Ebay's negative view on guns in general. Is a postal money order the perfered method of payment? Secondly is shipping and FFL fees usually the responsability of the buyer? Also, what is normal practice for shipping/recieving payment? Do I ship before payment arrives or after? It also seems a 3 day inspection is the norm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Ross: Usually a Postal Money Order is the preferred payment. Who pays the shipping and any fees would be something you and the seller can decide. Usually the buyer pays any FFL fees on their end. The shipping charges can either be paid by the seller or the buyer. (Negotiable) On a gun of that value, you will need to certainly receive payment first. The buyer will need to send you a signed copy of an FFL to enable you to ship. Ship the gun to the address on the FFL. Keep the signed FFL on your person as the shipper might want to see it. (To be assured it is being sent to an FFL). As far as shipping; due to the value of this gun, I would ship it Registered Mail. This is the most secure way. Hope this helps. Ed

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ross, I buy a lot of guns online, usually on GunsAmercia.com, GunBroker.com or this very site. I pay via USPS money order and the shipping charges are often my responsibility although now and then the seller of a more expensive gun will cover them in whole or partially.

One way you could handle it and feel safer in the process would be to ship the gun to an impartial shop who would inspect it, advise the buyer of its condition and only release the gun and mail the money order to you if the buyer was happy with the purchase. That way, both parties have some protection. A fellow I know did that years ago with a K-80 receiver. He had the seller ship it to Krieghoff International in Ottsville and mailed the funds to them for them to mail to the seller only if the receiver was in good condition.

Inspection periods give potential buyers a safe feeling but you should specify that it be NON-FIRING.

Ed

4. Ross817

Ross817 TS Member

0   0   0

Gents,

I appreciate the quick replys. Thanks for all the info.

-Ross

5. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

0   0   0

Ross, depending on your lever of paranoia, you might want to consider setting up a separate bank account and having funds wire transferred into that account....don't use any of your existing accounts. The potential issue with a money order is that a money order is a piece of paper and a piece of paper can be forged. In closing large transactions in my area (northeast Ohio) we have banks here that hold their OWN money orders for 10 days to be sure it clears because some of these banks have had their own money orders forged.

Just a thought.

Attorney Jay Cutler

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have accepted money orders, personal checks and those Western Union money orders things that can be bought at the supermarkets. In my ads, I clearly state all funds must clear my bank before item ships. I deposit the "money" into my main bank account and wait until the funds clear. Then I ship out the gun. I have done this with all of the guns I have sold...most expensive gun was $7300.

When deciding on shipping charges and such, I first do my homework and find what the current market value of my gun is. I price accordingly (whatever price I am comfortable at) and include shipping in the price of the gun (meaning shipping is on my dime). I don't care about the buyer's FFL transfer fees, that's his problem to deal with if his FFL charges an unreasonable amount to do transfers. I had a guy wanting me to drop $100 off the price of a gun (I put it at $600 shipped) I was selling just because his FFL charges $100 to do transfers...and this guy lived in an very populated area with a bunch of other gunshops so you are telling me you can't find another dealer to do it cheaper? Sorry, not falling for that gimmick. I ended up saying thanks but no thanks and was just patient until another buyer came along and gave me what my asking price was. So patience is important here...I'm open to negotiation but it depends on the gun I'm selling.

I can pretty much tell if a buyer is going to be a pain in the ass or not just by his communication with me. You will encounter many tirekickers.

With regard to the 3 day inspection rule, I don't allow returns just because the buyer changed his mind and found a better deal or wants to spend his money on something else. Too bad, too sad. It's your gun now. I only accept returns within 3 days if the gun I shipped does not match up what was represented in my ad, hence I suggest detailing every detail, good and bad, about your gun, so that the buyer knows exactly what he is getting. If my ad states I have put 5000 rounds through the gun, don't expect a return if you go out the next day and shoot it and the firing pin breaks. I'm not selling a NIB gun straight from the manufacturer with a warranty. That's the risk you take when buying used or an unfired gun that does not have the manufacturer warranty anymore.

bottomline:

if you want to avoud headaches, detail every little thing, good and bad, about your gun and post lots of pics when placing your ad.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

There is no norm-

sevn99 has a pretty good sense of things- read his post again

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I second the good, plentiful photos suggestion. As a buyer, I often request more and/or better photos of guns in which I'm interested. I've not bid or made an offer on many guns that sounded great but didn't have photos that showed detail. I looked at an S&W M686 this morning that had two photos taken on a bright red backdrop that put so much red glare in the photos that the gun could have been like new or rough as a cob and you couldn't tell the difference.

I've never even considered returning a gun but then, I only buy ones I can see well.

Ed

9. Ross817

Ross817 TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks again Yall!

-Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.