1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One thing I do not miss about Christmas.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ....and that's my grandmother's lutefisk and lefsa.

Mmmm, gelatinous codfish soaked in lye and served on a piece of buttered cardboard.

Uff da.

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Ham. When I was younger and had no choice in the matter I was forced to eat ham. Not spiral ham, but the kind that came in a tin can. And it was served with my all time "favorite" vegatable - Lima Beans. Dave T.

3. Brian in Oregon

My mom is from Oklahoma and Texas. I hated hominy, collared greens, okra, etc. Didn't mind lima beans. Really liked black eyed peas. Haven't had them since I was a kid.

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

Dave T. You miss spelled what you don't miss... That was SPAM,, Merry Christmas to you and yours, Mike

5. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I'm with you, Brian. I can still remember the distinct lack of flavor. If it wasn't for the butter, even a dog wouldn't eat it;) Neil

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I hated getting clothes for Christmas; and, the only dessert was fruitcake.

Thinking back to the things I miss, back in the late 50's my parents would take us down town to Dayton, Ohio, to the large Sears, Roebuck & Co. store and going down to the lower floor you would smell the roasting nuts and see all the toys mounted on plywood. All these years have passed and that memory still stays with me. It's funny how something so insignificant stays with you after 50 years. Darrell

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I miss my father.

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is nothing I don't miss around Christmas. I do miss my grand parents, and I miss my brother Robbie. He died Nov. 6, 1986. Charlie

9. Brian in Oregon

Russ-in-Pa, quote: <i>"I miss my father."</i>

This will be my first Christmas without my father, who passed away in mid-October.

Won't be the first Christmas with some sadness. My grandfather died a couple of days before Christmas when I was a teenager, and my grandmother died on Christmas Eve when I was a young man.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's too bad when something bad happens at this time of year

But damn Brian i am with you on the ludefisk, my Dad would get it shipped in from Sweden, it was dry flay and kind of opaque, you could almost see through it then soak it in lye, I didn't pay too much attention, just knowing when all the aunts and unckes got around at dinner time, they always made us eat that sh*(, like fish smelling slime with butter on top of it, and the juice would get all over the plate so everything tasted or smelled like it

The ought to serve it in prison, sort of a re-hab

11. porky

porky TS Member

I miss the large gatherings at Christmas and New Year's, but I don't miss some of the food. My parents and grandparents had been through some hard times including the Depression and WWII. Some of foods they ate helped them to remember how good they had it. We never had to suffer as they did. Just remembering them and the good times makes this whole crazy world seem more tolerable this time of year.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Bryan, if you cook I can send you the recipe for southern black eyed peas and greens...and also for cornbread. That's our New Year's tradition.

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Ludefisk is an acquired taste. Lefsa is heaven if done correctly. Most folks would never learn to like ludefisk, especially if they were around when it was cooked. It did help put a lot of norskies out to sea for several centuries.

14. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

My middle daughter, age 36, passed away one year ago today. We went ahead with Christmas pretty much as per plans but we sure miss having her around. The thing I don't miss around Christmas is my grandma Lewis' fried chicken -- a great grandmother she was, but she could ruin fried chicken............ But, she would also boil up a big pot of locally made weiners from Merkley's in Jasper ---- I sure do miss those, in a very good way. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I like Chit'lin's, myself...

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I greatly miss all the family and friends that have passed but I don't miss my mother's cranberry jello salad with chopped nuts and chopped celery along with whole cranberries in it. Made me like mayonnaise at an early age as I used a lot of it to coat the salad to get it down.

DoubleAuto

17. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I miss my sister and my grandmother. I always enjoyed going to pick up my grandmother for Christmas. My sister was always a joy to have around, her voice and laughter is missed so much during Christmas. Last year was the first Christmas without my sister, very hard on my parents, but I'm hoping things are easier this year. Can't think of anything I don't miss.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I can't imagine anybody not liking lefse?? OTOH, lutefisk is, as omgb say's "an acquired taste". I've always believed that even those old Norvegions don't really LIKE lutefisk, they just eat it to prove they're Norske. Kinda like cowboys & rocky mountain oysters?

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The Finlander's make it around here. Bill

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

As a boy I got sick of hearing the same old stories told over the holidays by my dad and his brothers and my grandfather. When I was young I thought my dad and my relatives would always be here with us. They are all gone now and I would give anything to go back in time and listen to them talk one more time. I sometimes wonder why is it that most of us don't appreciate people until they are gone?
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.