1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? One Shotgun To Shoot It All ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I enjoy shooting Trap, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and small game hunting. Want to truly shoot skeet sometime but just have not picked up and went for the heck of it and tried it.

I have various shotguns that I use. The ones I shoot the most I know how and where they shoot. For example when I pack up to shoot trap I'm shooting a Citori Trap and a BT-99, at the S/C Course I'm grabbing my 1100, for field use I picking up my favorite Wingmaster or the old model 12 pump. I've been doing this for years.

Do many of you guys have one gun that you shoot in the field, trap range and sporting clay course? (I'm not implying turkey gun or slug or buck shot use I'll leave those areas by themselves). But, have you decided to shoot just one to eliminate one for this or one for that type of stuff? I realize these guns shoot different, are choked different, barrel lengths & barrel boring diffrences, stock configurations etc..

There must be many guys who have adopted to a one gun philosophy. The use if just one gun has to have some benefit. Am I wrong in thinking that just one would be a better true extension of your arm, mind and eyes, than switching up guns? Just interested in your take on it.

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Spanky

My daughter shoots 4-H shooting sports. Shoots 6 games Trap, International Trap, Skeet, International Skeet, 5-stand, and Sporting clays. She is 15 years old and shoots a Browning XT for the last 2 years. She has done well.

Just our 2 cents worth.

Wesley

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Spanky: Are you nuts?? Anyone who calls themselves a shooter know you need many, many guns to fill all ones shooting needs. You also will need many "backup" guns to assure that if any of these needed guns would happen to malfunction; another one is "waiting in the wings". LOL. Ed

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I don't hunt any more but I shoot doubles trap, skeet, sporting, 5 stand, and would shoot bunker with one gun, a M.32 trap model Kreighoff with two sets of barrels. If I lost the 28" choke tubed barrels, I'd just send the 30" barrels to Briley for chokes and continue right on....Bob Dodd

5. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

I shoot a Beretta 303 32" for trap, same gun but change barrels to a 30"for skeet, sport clays and hunting

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Zardozsixtyplus, Black and Decker and only if it's someone else's barrel - <;-)

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Old remington 1100. Change barrels and go at another game. I even shoot deer with it in Iowa with a slug barrel.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what Ed said! Man was never intended to have but one gun! Even if you know you only need one gun, you can NEVER ever admit that to yourself nor anyone else.You need a Perazzi for Trap, another Perazzi for Skeet, another Perazzi for Clays, a Fabbri for hunting birds, another Perazzi for home protection, another Perazzi for backup!

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

One gun to shoot it all. That kind of depends on what shooting it all means. I only shoot one gun and from experience I can say one gun for skeet and sporting clays (don't shoot the others) is workable. However the darn game called trap is an animal all it's own. I never understood the term trap gun until I shot trap. Now I get it, they are just a special gun and make trap shooting easier ( if that's possible). Now you can learn to shoot your skeet gun on the trap field but you probably won't get good enough to win anything with it. I average about the same shooting skeet and trap, about a 23.2. But I could use a trap gun just for that game. Notice that even the people that use the same gun change the barrels and it sure would be nice to change the comb also. It's just easier with more than one gun. Now to convince the wife I need another gun rather than want one. Humm convincig her that lead at $50.00 a bag is worth it is hard enough at this point. Keep in mind the cost of a gun is nothing compared to the money that gets blasted out the barrel.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a straight trap stocked Winchester Superx-1 that I wouldn't hesitate to use for everything from hunting,trap,sporting,5=stand, skeet as well as Live bird shooting. I will never do it but I know for a fact I could as I have tried it. Jeff

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Spanky:

In my opinion, a well fitting o/u having 30" barrels with an adjustable comb and a pad adjuster that can be adjusted for LOP, pitch and cast at the toe, would allow one gun to be set up for all disciplines. It would not be perfect for all disciplines but it would be very nearly so.

Rollin

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You might check with Dennis DeVault and he could give you some help in this area. With his adjustability of his DeVault conversions, you will be able to change all the adjustments that Mr. Oswald speaks of. Best of luck in your search.

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If I had it all to do over again I'd buy one 12b gun set up for international trap and use it for all clay shooting sports. I prefer to use a 20b for upland hunting, so I'd need a second gun for that.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shouldered a Guerini O/U sporting gun with 34" bbls....very nice balance...don't know about recoil though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.