1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One shot size,one FPS for everything, every gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I've a had a set of reloaders for a while but havent set them up yet.

I shoot a little of about everything...but mostly skeet and trap, so I'll confine the question to skeet and trap.

I may load all 4 gauges for skeet, and 12 gauge for trap, including doubles and handicap...and I'm considering loading one size shot and one FPS velocity on all the gauges.

...I was musing that #8 shot and a 1200 FPS load on everything might work pretty well. Seems like that's what I wind up with most times when I buy factory loads anyway.

...even with a 28 gauge, trap shots work pretty darn good (just for fun..and you wouldn't believe the distance, so I won't say). In fact that's what got me considering one size lead and one FPS velocity for everything....with maximum standard lead charges in all gauges.

It's a head game anyway...so I'd like a way to simplify it some...and just concentrate what I'm doing, instead of constantly thinking about what shells to use or not to use.

Any opinions on this..?

Thanks...Stan

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you ask your gun which load it likes? HMB

3. StansCustoms

All six of my guns seem to be deaf dummies...all they say is bang, bang, bang...and once in a while bang...lol.

All kidding aside I can't say that I have ever been able to blame a miss on the shells.

I shoot AA's all the time now...but before I joined our club which gets great discounts ..I have shot whatever was available for practice...Walmart field loads, cheap imports..you name it. I hit well with all of them...or at least up to my normal level. The only thing I noticed was that some of them left the gun really dirty inside..and some of them stink to high heaven.

I did have box of Winchester's 1300 field loads that was about 5 years old that were tight in the gun...didn't want to come out after they were fired.

I'm just a country boy that grew up shooting whatever I could get my hands on...it never occured to me that something was wrong with the cheap shells I was shooting when I missed...heck , half the time they wern't even the same brand, shot, or velocity. Didn't seem to matter ..whatever I was shooting at didn't like any of them..lol!

I just don't want to be guilty of overanalyzing anything ...I'm thinking even if everything is perfect, then it's easy to get a handicap "in the mind".

... especially if the tiniest thing isn't up to snuff....like running out of 1200 FPS #whatever...Oh horrors, now what will I do...!! These other shells will just blow my whole average...wahhh wahhh wahh!!

Am I the only one that worries about over analyzing the shell thing..??

It has become a problem for me. I've got 8 or 9 flats of different shells..and when I get on the line...and miss, I think to myself.."darn , I knew I should have brought he 1300 FPS 7 1/2's, or whatever else I could have decided on...

Then some guy that is lucky to have shells at all, is grinning from ear to ear....and doing OK with a beat up gun with duct tape on the stock.

Hmmm...Maybe it's time I got back to the basics of life...like Willie and Waylon and the Boys.. or KISS....(not the band..KeepItSimpleStupid)

...and just get a good all around load and shoot till they grind targets.

Sometimes it's easier to shoot with a known handicap..than with a mental one

Maybe not too...

Just askin'...

Best regards..Stan

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, if you shoot skeet at HGC, you'll use 9's....

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You may have trouble with the shot hanging up in the drop tube if you go larger than #9 in the .410 reloader. Ron

6. StansCustoms

Big M...what's HGC...?

Yep guys you are right...I should have excluded .410 from this senario...#9's for sure there.

I imagine 1200 FPS would be OK though.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You are missing out on a good part of the fun of reloading if you only make one shell. Experimenting is half of the fun!

8. StansCustoms

Avaldes..

I loaded quite a bit 20(+) years back...got it out of my system I guess. I didn't mind it at all then...but now if money was no issue...I'd shoot new AA's and flip 'em out on the ground. NOT gona happen...but I'm just sayin'

These days I just want to have a zillion of 'em already loaded ... shoot all I want... Then take a nap..LOL.

Stan...

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Stan, I like to load 8 l/2's for everything and in every gauge as well. Yes, even the 410 for skeet. 8 l/2's will work just fine for short yardage handicap as well. I do like to keep a bag or two of 8's around just in case I need some longer shots in trap or Sporting Clays. As far a speed goes keep all your loads around 1200 fps and your good to go. ll80 fps on a one oz. load of shot in the 12 gauge will break everything there as well. Now you don't have to worry about changeing leads when you change gauges. Best of Luck with your one load and break em all Jeff

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

If I had to settle on a one size fits all I'd go 1 1/8 oz of #8 @ 1200.

11. StansCustoms

Pull and Mark..

Yeah..my main reason for a set velocity (like the aforementioned 1200 fps)is lead consistency from game to another. (lead = distance in front of target).

It seems to make a difference when I change velocities from skeet to trap for instance. Or velocity differences from one gauge to another in skeet ( I think...could be one of those mind handicaps)

...or differences in hot loads on the 27 yard line...compared to slower loads on the 16.

Stan...

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Stan,

One shot size, one speed would work just fine. I would go with 7-1/2's but like others said, go to 8-1/2's or 9's for .410.

Honestly, at 16 yard trap I can switch between 1180 fps loads and 1400 fps loads and I can't tell the difference in leads, but my shoulder can tell the difference in recoil.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

StansCustoms: I think that is a very good idea, you learn your leads that way and are always shooting the same speed.

1200 fps is a very good speed for every thing in my opinion.

Good luck w/your idea, it is a good one a lot o0f shooters could learn from.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. StansCustoms

Flincher 100...

Just curious..why wouldn't I be asking this question if I was shooting from long yardage?

Thanks for the input..

Stan..

15. StansCustoms

Dr. Longshot..

Thanks for that..I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea...but no one does it ...so I thought I would ask about it?

It seems to me that consistancy is the name of the game, all the shotgun games...so consistant loads and shot should be a big help.

..not having to carry a truck load of different shells would be nice too. Just go get a box and shoot...without having to decide if the yardage, the wind ..the moon and everything else is right for whatever that day.

More concentration on shootiong and less on everything else...would be a big gain it seems to me. Any consistant shooter can break 'em well with "any" average load...yes/no?

I would "really" like to see a comprehensive test using unmarked shells and see if shooters shot better or worse with loads they had no idea what were.

If I were a wagering man ...I'd bet most would shoot the same ..and except for hot load recoil wouldn't have a clue what they were.. (...including me)

..Stan

16. MR870

MR870 Member

1oz 1250 7.1/2's is all you need for trap or sporting.Skeet,load some 8.1/2 or 9's.Just a word of warning though,if your gun club goes to bio targets you'll need 7.1/2's or fast 8's.The bio's will dust but not break.When I shoot tournaments I've got more 7's than I do 8's.

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

When I shot both Skeet and trap I loaded everything but .410 with 8s and did alright with them. Agree 9s for the baby gun. Just not enough shot in 1/2 ounce of anything else!

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Load equal amounts of 71/2s 8s and 9s in each shell. Put the 71/2s in last so they can come out of the barrel first. The smaller shot can draft in behind the larger shot and retain their energy for a greater distance. This surely will solve all your problems. HMB

19. StansCustoms

HMB..

Gee that's a GREAT idea!!!...in fact ...I could do that and increase the velocity on everything to 13000fps and shoot handicap trap as well as anything else.

It would break the target..then break the chips again with the 8's, and then make all of it totally disapper with the 9's that are trailing the 8's...

But wait that wouldn't work..cause someone would could holler no bird since it "flat disappeared". They will assume it was just a Mirage!! The only ones they could see would be the lost ones...and you'd get chewed out for shooting at mirages!!!

Dang ..I really thought we were on to something for a minute..LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.