1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Reason We Are Loosing ATA Shooters....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine went to a shoot at Ventura, Ia this week. He went on Friday, and had planned on shooting Saturday and Sunday too.

But, he only shot one day and never went back.

When I saw him the following week I asked why he didn't come back on Saturday and Sunday, as I knew he had planned on it.

He said that the people signing him up made fun of his short yardage.

He is a new shooter and had never shot this sport before a year or so ago, and he is now about 68 years old.

During the last winter he had signed up for the ATA because he found out he loved to shoot this game. He goes south for the winter and shot 7000 targets down south. He isn't a really great shot and he knows it, but he is trying to get better just like most of us.

Apparently they started him on the 20 yard line and he has had a couple of reductions so that he now stands on the 18 yard line.

He said they gave him so much sh*t when he signed up at Ventura and then they placed him with a 20 yarder and a 21 yarder from Minnesota, who also gave him a bunch of crap because he stands so close. Like they're standing a long way back.

I told him not to worry about those short yardage snobs and if he liked the sport to just keep on shooting and not to let them get into your head.

When he told me this story, I really felt sorry for him and more sorry for those shooters who supposedly represent the ATA.

Hopefully he will continue shooting.

Tis truly sad when we make fun of our own and laugh at them because they aren't as accomplished as we'd like. Not everyone has an easy time of it.

When I started, I shot myself down to the 19 yard line and years later ended up on the 27 for a number of years.

Please be tolerant of those who are struggling. At least they are trying. You have to give them that.........

Thank you!

Hauxfan!

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I too am new to the game of trap and can feel his pain.
    I would tell him as long as he is doing his best,.....screw them....and keep shooting.
    I will bet that the guy's on the longer yardage did not just start shooting last year at the age of 68 like your friend.

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I'll shoot with him anytime. I've just started shooting caps and am short yardage. Works fine for me as I get to shoot with my 12 year old. We need an older gentleman to capture another generation on the squad.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Haux. Snobbery rampant in ATA hcp shooting. But Ventura may have been different because of the crowd. He needs a friend.

5. Hauxfan

Thanks Guys, I'll pass your messages of support along to him.

I'm sure he will continue shooting, but he was definitely thrown a curve ball last weekend.

I just hope it didn't dampen his spirits.

I'll continue talking to him and encouraging him.

He loves to shoot so I doubt this will curb his enthusiasm, but I sincerely doubt if he ever goes back to Ventura and I can't say as I blame him.

Hauxfan!

6. 100straight

100straight Member

I wish everyone would realize that every time someone in the shooting sports makes fun of another shooter, even in jest, it hurts all of us. Whether it is making fun of a fellow trapshooter who is at short yardage, making fun of those who shoot skeet, or a Zumbo saying that black rifles have no purpose, it hurts the shooting sports as a whole. We need every shooter we can get.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Hauxfan: Maybe you should/could say something to Ventura. Don't judge the majority by the actions of a few. I have found long yardage shooters more than willing to help those closer up. Don't take innocent dumb remarks the wrong way. They may not even realize they said anything wrong. Your friend needs to quit being so so sensitive about comments.

Don

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Years ago I was treated poorly by some trap shooters and went back to the skeet field. I wasted my youthful reflexes and vision on other shooting sports, because of some rude mid-yardage #@$*%. Now I try to remember that and I welcome and help new shooters. AJ

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Haux, tell your friend to take the ducks back approach and continue doing what he loves!

I took a lot of ribbing for taking my earned reductions to the 23 also. Some in jest, some in earnest but it didn't take me long to straighten them out either. The ribbing I got was nothing compared to shooting with pain whether made in fun or a jab. My name even came up at the clubs meetings as how a guy can break them all one day and shoot terrible the next. Like your friend, I love to shoot and have gotten 2- one yard punches for my better days.

I certainly hope he learns to let foul/fowl words roll off his back and continue doing what he loves too!!

Hap

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The reason we're loosing trapshooters is because they are being planted faster than we can grow new ones. As to your friend, some pople are just jerks at trap clubs or maybe they think your friend is maybe a sandbagger if they don't know him. I think I would if he just showed up out of the blue.

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Maybe the answer to this and another thread currently on hcp"sand bagging" is to scrap our current Hcp system and just have yardage shoots say, 16, 22 and 27 and let anyone enter any event they want, subject to the AA through D class system??? Let those shoot where they want in their own class division.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Is your friends name COPPER?

13. blooper

blooper TS Member

they should have read the new rule on 18 yard shooters....there should not have been a 21 yarder on that squad

14. Hauxfan

Blooper, that was my thought too.

He said they didn't know where to put him as there weren't any other shooters that close.

Hauxfan!

15. blooper

blooper TS Member

2. In Handicap there shall be no more than two (2) yards difference
    between adjacent shooters in the squad, and no more than a total
    difference of three (3) yards in a squad.>>>>> When squadding 18 yard
    shooters, there shall be no more than one yard difference between
    adjacent shooters in the squad and no more than a total difference of
    two yards in a squad.<<<<

16. Ron Duvall

Ron Duvall TS Member

I too am a realitivy new shooter 2 years, I have noticed the are you a "sandbagger look" the last experience with that was in Middletown Ohio when I was getting regisitered the gentalman who was signing me in gave me a long stare and look at my yardage then made a comment something to the sorts of your kidding right! I had no response to the comment but well lets just say my thought process was really working hard.
    I had a good weekend during that shoot and although I did not place I was very sastified with my scores and I have learned that this sport has way too many great folks involved that will work with you and coach you through any shooting issue.
    So to those who think they are better than the rest or look down on a new shooter I think you folks are the outcast of our great sport.

LIVE LAUGH AND JUST SHOOT THE BIRD!

Ron D

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ron Duvall: Did you show up out of the blue? Did you bet the money? Are you on less than the 20? Those are questions any handicapper will ask themselves when regestering you. Get real...

18. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

God point Hawk. There are as many horse's rears in trapshooting as any place, but unlike a lot of places there are a goodly number of nice guys to........Roger

19. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

A related story but not about trap; a 'former friend' with a small plane wanted me to go for a ride, he knew I had a fear of flying and I agreed to go up, circle the field and land. We went up and he took off nearly straight up, flew sideways, finally upside-down, then a roll, then a stall and he faked a heart attack once. After landing he laughed and said he'd 'got my cherry' and it wasn't so bad was it! I had thrown up once and have only flown in a commercial jet twice since....some 40 years later. Dick

20. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The "Good Old Boy's" network and circle the wagons approach when one of the GoB's makes a poor decision. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.