1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Progression in Restoration===whiting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mlcameron, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Whiting:

Here is a progression in restoration of a stock set. It takes patience but the results can be fantastic. It will not only improve your guns appearance, but, the value of the gun as well.

The before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step one:
    The Brownells Whiting mixed per directions with TCE cleaner/degreaser now gets applied as a paste to the checkering. This is followed by patience as the whiting needs time to dry completely.

[​IMG]

Step two:
    Once dried, a soft nylon bristled brush works well for removal (don't scrub)lightly worked in the direction of the cuts in checkering.

[​IMG]

Once all the whiting is removed, this is what it will look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step three:
    Next step is to use the soft bristle brush and remove the residual whiting from the checkering. For this (on the advise of a good friend) I used a vinegar based multi surface cleaner and again go slow. After cleaning, again it is time to let it dry completely. Over nite is good. That should leave you with something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step four:
    Now, the final process may differ based on the type of finish your stock may have or your personal preference. For the final stage on this Perazzi stock set, I used Tru Oil cut with Mineral spirits to achieve the desired protection and finish. Here is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steps one through three may have to be repeated for extreme cases. It takes a few days to allow the various phases of the operation to cure correctly but the outcome I'm sure you'll agree is well worth it. Let me know if you would like this done to your stock set and don't have the time. I find myself with plenty of time, so for a small fee I would enjoy doing the work for you.

You paid alot for your guns, I hope this helps in the care of them.
    Mark

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Very nice.

ss

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice job. Bulge.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I think I get it. The "whiting" is kind of a poltice. Does a super neat job...thanks for sharing. I assume that the goal was to clean the gunk out of the checkering. I had a very filthy grungy Ljutic, used, that I had to clean up...the checkering was almost buried in gunk. I used some product I found at the local Ralph's market, but haven't seen it lately: "Good For Wood"...a cleaner/waxer. Worked very well and similiar to the whiting. Later on, the Ljutic came out looking and behaving like new due to a bluing and tune up at Ljutic.. I do bet, however, the whiting does a slightly better job. But the "Good For Wood" stuff amazed me..I also believe a poltice type of cleaner works very well to suck dirt out of porous surfaces; used to clean up smoke and grunge in marble. I know that, I used to watch Bob Villa do his thing in the 80's! "Me smart, watch educational/public TV"

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Was curious what "whiting" is/was.

Nice job in "whitening" your wood.

Whiz White

6. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

This may be a dumb question, but can you use whiting on the whole stock and forearm? I would love to do this to my TB.

Chad

7. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Yes you can. The effectiveness will depend on the condition of the wood and finish.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- nice job cleaning up the checkering. I have never tried that. But, the checkering could just be recut with an hour or so work time and it looks as if a few worn areas could stand to be recut.

Pat Ireland

9. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

As for the recheckering who does it and for how much. (stock and fore arm) does the lines per inch make a big difference in the price of recheckering? Please share.
    Mark

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- At one time I was very involved with checkering and engraving. For me, the lines per inch were not a factor. With very little expense in tools and a little time, anyone can learn how to checker.

Pat Ireland

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

That was a very interesting thread with a great result. Thank you.....Uncle Sam, Pa.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

13. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

I've seen a few inquiries as to the process so I thought I'd bring it up again.
    Mark

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

They decided to call it whiting because somehow Whiz-ing on one's gun just didn't sound like a good idea.

15. high 2

high 2 Member

Pat, a Perazzi is the one of the worst to recut as I`m sure you know. Most shoot them far too long before a refinish. Sometimes it`s easier to start from scratch than to recut. Larry

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wow! really nice job. I'm impressed.

17. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

Most cherkerers charge about the same for re-cutting/pointing up a checkering job as an original checkering job. For a standard Perazzi point pattern, I normally charge $250 - $300 (depending on LPI). Yes, I do charge a few bucks more for 26 LPI and above.
    Mike

18. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

Hi Mark: I just read the two reviews on Brownells www site for Old Fashion Whiting Compound and this product is not recommended, dries to hard and is difficult to remove. Are there any other recommendations for restoration? I have three stocks and forearms that I am interested in cleaning up. Mr Earl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.