1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Ounce Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A lot of you have been shooting one ounce loads a lot longer than I have, I only just recently went to shooting one ounce loads, I loaded them to the 1200fps speed to match what I have been loading in 1 1/8th oz speed, and using my Caesar Guerini Full Choke tube they are patterning damn good. I have not had to change my point of aim and am smoking targets.

Now some of you have said you load them faster let's say 1290-1320fps what have been your results using full choke?

Presently loading the Rio Hull w/12SO Claybuster wads they are sealing just fine using RIO Primer 18.3 Grs of Promo Powder per Federal Gold Medal Plastic Loading Info listed at 1200fps.

This is giving me excellent resuts have any of you tried this combination?

I have only loaded one bag of shot in these hulls approx 416 shells.

What are your comments?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

They don't need to be faster. If they work for you now why change?

Faster won't affect the pattern one way or the other.

1200 fps is fine.

Keller

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Keller......breakemall

4. oz

oz Active Member

Just try a modified choke you will be suprised.

5. 27-T

27-T Member

Wish the ATA would mandate 1oz. loads for all events.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I am not the best shooter on here.......lots of people with way more experience than I will ever have, BUT I like these:

7/8 oz at 1200 fps #8
    1 oz at 1150 fps #8
    1/1/8oz at 1100 fps #7.5

Maybe as I get better, things will change. However, these lite recoils I like.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I realize that the pattern for a shell is unique for that particular shell but what little patterning I done with 1 oz of 8's loads they seem to be more consistently even though out the 30 in circle. I have been loading them at 1180 fps.

I shoot 1 oz of 8's in pratice and some in ATA events and even been shooting 1 oz of reclaimed lateley just for the heck of it. The only problem I've been having is with me.

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"...using my Caesar Guerini Full Choke tube they are patterning damn good...."</i></blockquote>I see no need for a full choke in my XT when a Briley extended IM will make targets disappear. It takes only so many pellets to set a target to breaking and packing them all into the center of the pattern seems sorta counter-productive to me.

Keller

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dr. Longshot,

Can you get better result than smoking them? Increasing your speed will just mean using more powder and getting more recoil. I've loaded Rio hulls similarly and have gotten your result in my DT-10 with light full chokes.

Chichay

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The faster the shell , try a more open choke---if you are using a full choke from the 16 & shooting a 1250 fps load you are most likely trying to kill a target with a needle. Give the pattern time to open up @ distance you want to break the target.

Phil Berkowitz

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just have this idea of shooting full chokes, just like Frank Little, he shot full choke all the time even from 16s.

I have more confidence in the full choke, and I like the patterns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,just maybe your experiment backs up what an Older fella told me about 1 ounce loads.He swore they patterned better than 1 1/8 loads.Never did ask him from what distance and what choke.He uses Promo also,maybe I'll give it a try being 1 ounce loads are as low as you can go with green dot,which is what I use,amazingly about the same charge,usually 18.5- 18.9 gr.

Doug H.

13. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I find green dot to be very dirty with 1oz loads and have switched to Clays. I use gd for 1-1/8 loads

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the same load with 20 gr Red Dot for 1250 fps. Really smokes 16 yd targets with MOD choke out of my Blaser.

Sudden death on Sporting targets.

15. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

1oz of 7.5's, 1250 fps Green Dot, Green Dusters, seems to work rather well for me.

16. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I shoot 1 oz. loads with ClayDot. Not dirty at all. Found the best patterns with a #6 Wrights choke (.024). When I used a Briley IM (.025) I did not get as good patterns. With Briley IM choke and 1 1/8 oz. the patterns were better. Need to pattern your chokes with your shot charge. Not all chokes throw the same patterns.

17. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Doug H,

Alliant shows online in their reloading guide some 7/8 oz loads with Green Dot in Rem, Winchester and Federal hulls. Lyle

18. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Why the big interest in 1200 fps + shells?

I (for singles ) use 16.3-16.5 gr. PROMO in a old style AA

hull,CLAYBUSTER 1100,CHEDDITE PRIMER,34"unsingle

with I.M. choke.it patterns very evenly,very low recoil,boils targets

if I do my part. And saves on components.Ive never chrono'd it but id guess

its about 1000 to 1050 fps

Im not saying this is the only way to go,just that It works for me

As I recall many learned and experienced shooters on this fourum

have made the case that "speed kills"(patterns).

Just my take on things

JIM

19. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Alliant shows online in their reloading guide some 7/8 oz loads with Green Dot in Rem, Winchester and Federal hulls."</I></blockquote>They also post data using tapered-hull wads in straight-walled hulls.

Just because they publish a formula doesn't mean that it will make a good load or even fit properly in the hull; they do it because they know somebody is gonna decide to try it so they need to C their A by including it in their tested loads (i.e. it's "safe").

Keller

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Depending on the powder being used, the lower weight of the payload, you have to increase velocities to keep pressures up for a complete powder burn. The more complete powder burn, the more consistent patterns will be.

I get great patterns with 1 ounce of shot 1225 fps. Green Dot. IM Carlson's extended sporting choke.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz trap loads

can you use 1 ounce loads for trap shooting

do i need one once hulls to load one ounce target loads

trap shooting 1 ounce loads