1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One ounce load data question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by prairiewind, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairiewind

prairiewind TS Member

I began shooting again late last year after a five year lay off. So far, I have used my old 1 1/8 ounce loads like always but it seems like one ounce loads are more popular these days. I have several thousand Winchester WT12 (orange) wads and 4 pounds or so of the old Winchester AA Plus powder on hand that I would like to try and use up. Can anyone offer load data for a one ounce load using this wad and powder or in lieu of that, offer a suggestion that would allow me to use up my old components before buying new?

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think you are gonna get dished in crimps with that wad and powder at 1 oz. I use the WT12 wads for 1 1/8 oz and the pink WAA12SL wads for 1 oz.

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I load 1oz. in that wad,Win. hull. I had to adjust pre-crimp and crimp stations until I had what I wanted. Iuse Green Dot powder and its a bulky powder. Works great for me. MEC Reloader. GOOD LUCK

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

prairiewind

Maybe you can trade the wads with someone for a more appropriate 1oz wad like the WAA12SL or it's clones. That powder is very dense and with the shorter wad (WT-12) you may have some problems getting a proper crimp. I would just load them with the load you had been using and buy some new components to load the 1oz. I have not seen any data for that wad (WT-12) with your powder in a 1oz load. It's sometimes not worth experimenting.

5. LST AND DEAD

LST AND DEAD TS Member

with ref. to your 10z loads ihave loaded clays powder 17 to 18 oz claybuster wads ( the lighting wads that is for 7/8 or once loads) that load works well in any shotgun. good luck

6. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

There are a couple of options I have used. First ( and best) is if you can find some 20 ga. .135 paper "filler" wads, place one in each shot cup and load away. It will mean you will need less adjustment for good crimps.

The other option I read about in an old "Trap & Field" Magazine ( or some similar magazine) in an article by Vic Reinders. This is probably close to 20 years ago, and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of warnings that this is "unsafe" or will result in "blown patterns". It worked very well for me though: drop one or two popcorn hulls (unpopped) into each shot cup before you drop the shot. I tried it when I first experimented with 1 ounce loads. (I used 2-3 when I tried 7/8 oz. loads in a 1 1/8 wad.) I think that the popcorn hull will travel more slowly once the ejecta emerges from the barrel, so I don't believe it will "blow" the pattern. I know I did some pattern testing back then, but don't recall the results.

Good luck.

7. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Theres nothing better than a good ole dry black eyed pea to take up some room
    Fred

8. prairiewind

prairiewind TS Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It has given me a lot to ponder.

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I think the safest course is not to worry what is popular...but worry more about what is confirmed safe. not that adding corn or peas is dangerous...but why? Unless you're desperate to save shot (which isnt a long shot) I'd just use the same load you've been using and buy new 1oz wads when you run out.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Top performer: AA or STS hull/ Clays 17.4/ 1 oz. of #8's/ Green Duster Wad/ AA primer @ about 1210+ ft./sec. No problem with crimps... load and shoot. Fred

11. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

prairiewind

I don't think you will find any data on the old Winchester AA Plus powder.

Winchester powders are now under the Hodgdon Powder Company. The following is a copy/past from http://www.winchester.com/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=158

"Winchester Ammunition and Hodgdon Powder Company, two great names in reloading, are proud to announce a license agreement that is sure to excite every handloader. Winchester® branded reloading powders will now be licensed to Hodgdon Powder Company".

I would suggest you dispose of the AA powder. A safe way is to sprinkle it over your lawn, it is a good fertilizer.

Now, go the the URL above, Hodgdon reloading data, and select a powder for one ounce loads.

Please use creditable loading data and AVOID any gimmicks. I load Federal Gold Medal hulls. I found an excellent one ounce load using Clays powder (18.3 grains) , Federal 209A primer and Winchester WAA12SL wad.

Good luck.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.