1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

one ounce and full choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I have visually compared patterns shot with a .032 choke and 1 oz of #8s and 1-1/8 #7-1/2s. I have not counted holes or anything scientific. It does not appear that the chances of a pellet striking a target in the fringe area is much different with either load. Both loads should be about 1175 fps. (not checked) Patterns were shot at 30 yards and I considered the fringe to be between 18" diameter and 22" diameter. I"m trying to convince myself that for singles, 1 oz of 8s would work nearly as well as 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2s. I am assuming that at singles distances both sizes have sufficient energy to break a target.Has anyone done more scientific tests?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

And if you reload...you get an extra 2 boxes of shell per bag of shot!

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

You can shoot good scores with 1 oz loads. You will likely shoot a bit better with 1 1/8 oz. Maybe it is no more than 1 bird in 100 or 200. No one can tell you for sure.

Common sense. More is better if recoil is not bothering you. How can less be as good. If you have dusted a target and wondered "I wonder if bigger shot or more velocity would have chipped it" you are normal. If the thought never entered your mind - well - just keep doing what you are doing and please play all the options.

Crushing 25 is not an indicator of performance.

Do I use 1 oz - YOU BET. But NEVER when it counts.

Don Verna

4. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

The only reason I use 1 1/8 is I think 1 1/4 is against the rules, Dan Witcher

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

wlc, if the choice is between 1oz 8 and 1 1/8oz 7 1/2, the only difference you will see is in your breaks. The breaks with 7 1/2 will be a little more energetic. If I were going to shoot 1 1/8oz of anything for singles, it certainly would not be 7 1/2. I'd use 8s.

6. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I think the difference between 1oz 8's and 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's when shooting registered targets is you will still have your head on the stock for your last 25 targets with the 1oz load,therefore you will shoot higher scores.Jerry

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Tigman, try the 8 1/2's. You will like them. I have used them for years. When shooting in the leagues or for short yardage money games I would use 1 1/8 ounce of 8 1/2's. It smokes them.

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

When i started shooting 25yrs. ago, I knew nothing about choke constriction. I bought a 680 Beretta Unsingle and shot 1oz. 8's Winchester thru a .043 choke.

That will make you stand up and take notice. Nothing but negroe talcum powder left.

yes, 1oz. loads are fine for singles and doubles.

Roy

9. RobPete

RobPete Member

My 16 yard load is 1oz of 7 1/2's w/promo. This combo, along with a downrange xl-1, turns them inside out. I know every load is different with every gun/choke, but my gun seems to like this one. I've tried many 1oz and 1 1/8 combinations. As they say, the proof is in the pudding..............

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

All my trap targets I shoot with the same 1 1/8 oz. # 7 1/2 shot load/reload. 16, 21, and 23 yd.. I'll never have to worry about a handicap beyond that. I just stick with what works best for me. 1 oz. of #8 1/2 for skeet, 1 1/8 oz. #8's for S/C's.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting 1 oz loads and keeping your head on the stock is much better than shooting 1 1/8 oz shot and lifting you head now and then.

This year I am planning to shoot 1 1/8 oz shells and keeping my head down. That might even work the best. Actually, I had planned to do that last year but gave up after a few shoots.

Pat Ireland

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't quite get the comparison of head lifting and and shot load. If I'm gonna move my head I'm gonna move it. Please reply, I'm not sure where you are coming from with that statement.

13. wlc

wlc Member

I have not compared patterns using 1 oz and 1-1/8 of the same size shot. Is the extra shot normally distributed evenly throughout the pattern or does it get concentrated in the center? I'm wondering if the fringe becomes denser?

14. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Head-lifting: If you are going to move your head anyway, a heavy load might encourage you to do it more than anticipated.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Marlon, thanks. I'm really not sure why I'm lifting my head on ocassion. I know when it happens that's what it is. I just never thought a lighter shell should solve it. I never figured it was becasue of my shells, this is all I've ever shot for the most part. Sort of have myself confused now. I've always related it to poor concentration.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

wlc, the extra shot is distributed about like the rest. Which is to say, the diameter of the circle which encloses 75% of the shot is the same, on the average. What I mean is illustrated by the end of the first post in the link thread above.

Neil

Neil

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone would need a full choke for singles. My LM .015 Briley S2, Extended choke in my gun with a .740 bore & a33" barrel just vaporizes the short distance target when I do my part. By the way I use 81/2 magnum shot @ 1185 or factory STS at the same speed. Nothing to see,can't get any better than total disappearance.

Phil Berkowitz

18. wlc

wlc Member

Neil, thank you. I had done a search for this post and didn't find it.

Phil, What does your .015" choke pattern look like at 30 yards. I know a shooter who uses a .015" choke in a Kolar and he get the kind of breaks that you describe. Don't know what size shot he uses but I did hear him say that he only uses 1-1/8 oz loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.