1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One or two...Advan..Disadvan

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bocephas, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Michael, I shoot with one eye.

Would like to shoot with both eyes,they say this is best.
    Tried it just will not work for me.

I think there are a couple of All Americans that are one eyed shooters.

Bo

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Anyone else shoot with both closed like me???

3. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Mike, I also shoot with one eye. I was taught to shoot with both eyes open, but do to vision problems I no longer can.

One thing I still do, is keep both eyes open till I see the bird, then I squint my left eye in order to keep the bead, and bird in line.

Tom R.

4. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I shoot with both eyes open now but use the Browning majic dot to block my right eye from seeing the front bead (I'm left handed-Right eye dominant). This solution is still a handicap because I have no dept perception. Before I would just shut my right eye. I'm still trying things out to see what the best solution is for me. I just ordered a Hiviz Magni comp sight to see if that will work so I can keep both eyes open without the majic dot blocking the front bead. I have my doubts that I will be able to adjust, but I think it’s worth the effort to have both eyes available for more accurately picking up the path or line of the bird and for the depth perception. Who knows I'm just a beginner.

As a side note regarding the Majic Dot. I haven’t tried setting it up to only block the bead, not sure if it's easily accomplished to only block the bead and not the target on top of the bead. Just an idea.

5. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Determining your Dominant Eye go to the link.

Bill

6. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

I shoot with my left eye closed.I shoot right handed but i'm left eye dominate,so I keep both open till see the bird then close my left eye.I tryed shooting left handed an that simply was not going to work. Tom

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Do you drive, catch a ball, or drink beer with one eye closed? (well 2 out of 3 ain't bad) I believe 2 eyes are better than one. You can actually look thru the barrel and see the bird emerge. Easier to track.

8. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Bill,

No wonder I'm screwed up. Via your eye dominance test, it looks to me like I can make either eye dominant using a little concentration when facing the target (head straight). I can also force dominance to either eye by turning my head slightly (like when sighting a shotgun) Problem is, when turning my head for a left shoulder mount my right eye becomes dominant. Is this normal?

9. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

shoot right handed but I'm left eye dominate, that's my problem as well so I keep my left eye closed or at lest squint the left eye.

Bill

10. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Right handed, left eye dominant. Have always shot left handed, one eyed till my Kiner clinic. Had me open both, took some time but it is working real well if I do my part. Nubs Wagner.

11. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I shoot one eye because when I tried to shoot two I missed all the targets. I'm told I'll never be able to run straight rounds because of this, but I'd rather be able to hit 15 to 20 per 25 and actually have fun than to hit 2 or 3 per round trying to accomplish something I am unable to do. Remington's own online description of trap shooting is that it is like "rifle shooting with a shotgun". So why not?

12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I shoot right handed but I'm left eye dominate. I shoot with both eyes. I bring the gun up to my face and use my right eye with the beads to check that the gun fit is correct. (After that I never look at them or the barrel.) I next look in front of the trap house with my eyes, keeping my face/cheek and arms in place and call for the bird. And I beat Phil occasionally. AJ

13. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

If your left eye is dominate and you don't feel comfortable closing your left eye try different things like putting a piece of Scotch tape on the left lines of your glasses just enough to distort your vision with that eye.

The problem with shooting with one eye is you don't have a good depth perception, but if your left eye is dominate you don't have much choice, you'll be shooting to the left all the time.

With enough practice you'll hit-em all I shoot 93 96 all the time with my one bad eye and sometimes I get lucky and hit-em all 25's that is.

Just shoot one bird at a time, don't even try to hit the bird, try to match it's speed and direction and when you do squeeze the trigger but keep moveing with it.

Bill

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nearly everyone has a dominant and a recessive eye. Codominance in vision is as uncommon as ambidexterity. When we look at one thing, we align our dominant eye so that is it looking straight at the object. Eye dominance is easily determined by tearing a +- 1/2 inch hole in a sheet of paper, holding the paper at arms length and then looking at something through the hole that is 15 or more feet away. Slowly bring the paper to your eye without losing sight of the object you are looking at. The hole in the paper will always end up over your dominant eye.

If you are cross dominant (left eye dominant but shoot right handed) it is almost always necessary to block your dominant eye. Closing the dominant eye or blocking the area of the dominant eye that sees the front sight will work. I prefer to block the dominant eye with Scotch tape. Only a small piece is required.

Blocking one eye will reduce depth perception, but when shooting we are only concerned with a straight line from the gun to the target. Depth perception is not as important as when throwing a ball that travels in a high arc to a point some distance away.

If you are right handed with a left dominant eye, as I am, point your finger at an object, close your dominant left eye and look at the object with your right eye. This is what you see looking down the rib. Next, close your right eye and look at the object with your dominant left eye and do not move your arm. It will appear as if your finger has moved several inches to the right. This exercise will demonstrate what happens when you move your rear sight about 4 inches to the left. If you call for the bird and then move your rear sight 4 inches to the left as you are tracking the target, you have a problem.

If you do not have cross dominance, you are fortunate. If you do have cross dominance, you need to do something others are not required to do.

Pat Ireland

15. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Bill,
    I used scotch tape for awhile and it works well. I moved to the majic dots because they are easier to align properly on the lens and you can remove them for cleaning. Also, they come in a six pack of different colors (which doesn’t really matter). But the fact that there are six of them helps if you have several sets of shooting glasses like I do. BTW they come with a ring like device that you stick on the outside of the lens then move it around until you can cover your front bead (use your wife or girlfriend to place it), then you line up the majic dot with it on the inside of the lens and then remove the ring. They stay in place with no trouble even if I lightly wipe the lens.

Hawk,

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why not try a real dark lens on the eye you don't want interfering with your "sighting" eye? The dark color lens is bound to reduce the amount of light entering that eye which reduces vision. Try that with the dominate test and see what pops out then? If it works there, it will with your shotgun. Hap

17. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Hap,
    I like that idea with the darker lens. I might try that out. Hope the guys don't jag me to much when I show up with two differnt lens' in my shooting glasses.

Hawk,

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I tried a dark lense on my left non dominant eye. Didn't work for me. I have to use tape or close my left eye...Bill

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hawk57, if it works, who cares what the buds say? I have some really dark lens which is ok when it really bright outside. When clouds roll overhead, I have to change lens because I lose too much needed target vision because of lack of light. If a dark lens restricts amount of light entering the master eye (which it does), the sighting eye would crush the target in the meantime, no? If I had this sort of problem I sure would do some experimenting before nixing it because it's not the norm or acceptable procedure. Hap

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap - I tried the dark lens over my dominant eye and it did help some during the short time I was looking down the barrel, but it caused me difficulty between shots and walking from field to field.

The different lens colors interfered with some normal functions of my eyes. Both pupils of your eyes are supposed to dilate/contract uniformly based on the amount of light entering them. Mine got confused. Clear vision requires both eyes looking at the same point (convergence). My eyes lost convergence and resulted in me seeing double images. Have you ever tried to shoot doubles with a 4 barrel gun?

It might work for others, but it did now work for me.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.