1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

ONE OF A KIND...TRIDENT TRAP GUN

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Big Dave, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

I just listed a couple of guns on GunBroker (user name Dancing Bear) but because a while ago I posted a picture of my Trident Trap gun, and several people expressed interest in buying it, (can't remember who they were) so I thought I would list it here first. I'll take more pictures, measure the barrel, etc. when I get it out of the safe later, but figured I better get on here before I put it off (again). I'll take $2,000 plus actual FedEx shipping charges from 19804. Three day non firing inspection. I'll take personal or cashiers checks and postal money orders in payment. Gun will ship when payment clears my bank.

<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/dancingbear12/?action=view&current=trident.jpg" target="_blank"> trident.jpg </a>
  2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

I have very little history on the gun. I bought it two years ago, on a whim. I have been told that it was made by a gentleman named William Wendall Holmes. Having researched him I have found that he made AR-15 type rifles and 50 caliber rifles, a well as writing numerous books for the Pallidin press, but could find no mention of his having made any shotguns.

The bolt stays open, just like on a rifle, and cocks on opening, it is sear fired (no hammer.) Both the front and rear sight are adjustable for elevation. The front has a bead and the rear a notch. There is a recoil reducing system in the stock that uses springs for the dampening. The barrel is ported, under the flash suppressor. I have yet to mike it for choke, but it will smoke a target from the back fence. The wood is walnut. The gun is blue, except for the trigger housing, which is color case hardened. It shoots well, but is a little barrel heavy.

That's all I know about the gun. If you would like to know anything specific please ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

The picture is the one sent to me when I bought the gun, the case pictured does not come with the gun, as I didn't get it with the gun

Thank you
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

0   0   0

I wonder if ole Wendell and Al Ljutic dreamt this thing up
  4. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

0   0   0

Never have seen a picture of one

Have you shot it?

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I love to try it. It would turn heads no doubt.

Good luck. Someone will buy it out of curiosity like you did.
  6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

I took the gun up to the club today to shoot it again, but didn't because of the rain. I did however take some measurements. It has a 30" barrel with a .752 bore and a .714 choke for a .038 constriction. It also has a 14 5/8" length of pull, but doesn't feel that long when shouldered, maybe it's the pistol grip thing?
  7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

0   0   0

I remember seeing a used one for sale about 15+ years ago by a vendor at the grand, if I remember correctly about $1,200. The 1992 gun digest lists this gun as a Trident supertrap II with a feature of pull or release by 1 turn of a screw. The list price was $2,500
  8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

Mr. Holmes was from Arkansas, from what I read, all of the parts used to build his guns were made from scratch, he did not use any parts from any other manufacturer. The receiver, trigger housing, and all other parts, ON THIS GUN, were machined from solid stock.

COPIED FROM THE WEB SITE ABOVE.

William “Bill” Holmes, author of the Paladin Home Workshop Weaponry series of books and videos, died on December 4, 2008.

Many people call themselves gunmakers, but few have actually made a gun. Instead most buy parts from various manufacturers and assemble them. Bill Holmes made countless rifles, handguns, and shotguns from scratch—ranging in caliber from .17 to .50—for almost 60 years. As a result he became an acknowledged expert on most firearms, as well as the laws governing their manufacture, modification, and possession. Once he stopped building precision-crafted firearms for others, he concentrated on writing about how to make guns safely and legally so that others could make their own weapons. He wrote his first Paladin book in 1977, Home Workshop Guns for Defense and Resistance, Volume I: The Submachine Gun. Through his seven books (The .50-Caliber Rifle Construction Manual; Home Workshop Guns for Defense and Resistance, Volumes I–V; Home Workshop Prototype Firearms; and A Master Gunmaker’s Guide to Building Bolt-Action Rifles) and two videos (The Home Workshop .50-Caliber Sniper Rifle and Home Workshop Weaponry) for Paladin, Bill attracted a legion of followers who anxiously awaited each new project from the master gunmaker. He also published a scathing indictment of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in Entrapment: The BATF in Action, recounting the agency’s fruitless efforts to hang an illegal weapons charge on him.

Bill kept a fully equipped machine shop in an outbuilding next to his home in Fayetteville, Arkansas, but in later years was forced to sell off his lathes, drill press, and other equipment to pay legal and medical bills. For a brief period he turned his hand to knifemaking. (The knife shown in the photo was a gift to Paladin staff.) He will be missed by many.

Bill Holmes was preceded in death by two sons, Jeff and James Holmes. Survivors include a daughter, Leslie Bracy of Stillwater, Oklahoma; and two grandchildren.
  9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If it smokes 27 yard targets why in the world would you sell it? I shoot so crummy I might just have to buy it. :)
  10. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

I'm selling it, and others, because I am physically unable to shoot any more and the young ones I am helping to spoil already had their pick of my guns.
    Going on GunBroker tomorrow.
  11. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

0   0   0

Gun is now listed on GunBroker
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.