1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One more try to explain Special Categories to me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

It is my understanding that, if she broke 200, she would shoot off for High Gun for the event. If she loses that shoot off, she would fall back to Lady II, and shoot off there if necessary. She would not be eligible for Class D trophies.

Now, if she broke a 199 AND a 200 was shot for High Gun AND a 200 was shot by a Lady II shooter, then she would be eligible for D Class as she was not in the running for either of the other categories.

From the ATA Rule Book...

3. Any shooter who is tied for event Champion may shoot-off/carry-over
    for the Championship trophy. If a shooter fails in the championship
    trophy shoot-off/carry-over and has declared a special category at
    the time of classification, the shooter will fall back to the declared
    special category.

4. Any shooter who has declared a special category at the time of
    classification and whose score qualifies for any trophy in his/her
    declared category, will compete for the category trophy and not for
    place, class or yardage group.

5. Any special category shooter whose score does not qualify for a
    trophy in his/her category, may compete for place, class or yardage
    group trophies.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you choose/declare catagory over class then that's what you shoot for. I believe that the answer to the 2nd question is "yes".

Eric

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Everybody can shoot off for Champion.

In your scenario, your wife could be (or shoot off for) D Class champion provided she did not qualify for a category trophy (High Lady 2, Lady 2 R/U, Lady 2 3rd, etc).

If a category shooter qualifies for a category trophy, that is the trophy that they will win or shoot off for.

If she had a 200 and shot off for Champion and lost that shoot off, she'd fall back to High Lady 2, which she'd either win outright, or shoot off for with any other Lady 2 competitors who were likewise unsuccessful in their bid to be Champion.

If she shoots off for High Lady 2, and loses, then she can only win a Lady 2 runner-up, or 3rd, etc. trophy (if they exist). She can't then win a class trophy (for that event).

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Also, remember, once you declare category at a shoot, you can't change your mind later and "un-declare". Bill Malcolm

6. BigM-Perazzi

For that shoot only...clarifying ...

7. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

In texas state hcp a sr vet shoots off for state hcp winner and does not win, why is he not the runner up hcp winner instead of sr vet. the added money was runner up was $450 and sr vet was $125. please explain?

8. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

reddottm1

Your example can be explained very easily according to the current fall back rules; In that situation the Sr. Vet very simply "BUTTA BINGED" himself because he declaired catagory prior to shooting. This is as irritating as it gets when it happens to you or a good friend. Especially so, when the catagory shooter brakes more targets in the event than the person that winds up in the runner up spot from a shoot off result that he or she didn't even qualify for in the first place.......Think carefully before declairing catagory......

Lewis LaRoche, Sr.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There is no "Lady" category for "anyone who's not in the AA game".

If a point shoot does not use the new Lady I and Lady II designations, then they will have Lady (which will include both) but it is still for AA points. The ATA will just transfer the points to the proper category.

If a point shoot uses Lady I and Lady II, there will be no "Lady" category. A lady would have to declare for one or the other, or not at all.

10. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

Big M Perazzi,

I posed this question to Dave Kaiser. He writes the article House Rules for Trap and Field.

"If one chooses a category or a sub-category are they locked into that category for every shoot thereafter? On page 19, of the rule book, #7 says that the choice is 'irrevocable.' Does that mean that you cannot change for that event, shoot, or is it permanent?"

Mr. Kaiser's reply was, "The rule you are refering to has to do with changing categories that are age based. For example if you turn 70 during the target year and choose to declare Senior Vet at a shoot, you must continue to declare Senior Vet and may not declare Vet at any SUBSEQUENCE shoot. Under thosae circumstances you may choose to continue declaring Vet for the remainder of the current year but once you declare Senior Vet you are LOCKED IN."

The capitol letters are my doing not Mr. Kaiser's.

Keep Your Head Down and Follow Through,

Harold T. Pack

11. BigM-Perazzi

Harold, my point was, you do not have to declare a category at every shoot..

only for the duration of that shoot.

I could declare sub-vet at the GLG, and no category at the Grand.

Nothing to do with mr Kaiser's reply....

12. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

My wife was in the same boat. Just keep in mind if she is a "D" shooter, and shoots in "D" class, she is competing against other "D" shooters (theoretically). If shes a "D" shooter and declares "Lady" class, she is now competing against AA shooters.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Wifes should remain in the galley where they belong thereby negating the requirement for "special" girl rules.

Thier only commitment to Trap Shooting should be the production of fresh ham sammiches upon request.

All the rest should man-up and shoot. No categories, excuses or other BS.

Guy B.

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I still believe there should be an "E" class..............HAR HAR HAR

D.P.Reynolds

15. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

Big M Perazzi,
    You are 100% correct.

Harold T. Pack

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Wait till next year at the Dollar...I hear there will be L1 L2 and cougar

17. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

gdbabin wrote: "Wifes should remain in the galley where they belong thereby negating the requirement for "special" girl rules.

Thier only commitment to Trap Shooting should be the production of fresh ham sammiches upon request.

All the rest should man-up and shoot. No categories, excuses or other BS"

How's that working out for ya Guy????

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thankfully only women with a sense of humor find me attractive....

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.