1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One more time-dry eyes.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Those of you who use an eye lubricant, try GenTeal FOR SEVERE DRY EYES. Most
    likely it will not be on the shelf, even though you may purchase without an Rx. Ask your pharmacist & he/she will order it. I repeat, GEL-SEVERE Dry Eye Relief. This is a gel & NOT their eye DROPS. Comes in a 10ml tube.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

who makes it? Bill

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"who makes it?"

It's made by Norvatis Opthalmics...and it's WAAAYYY too strong for me. Even the "moderate to severe" potion blurs my vision for 20 minutes after I put it in.

Morgan

4. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Try www.genteal.com The previous answer is correct, it's manufactured for Novaritis. Because of it's formula the gel is long acting. Naturally, try it before you go to a shoot.Usually,it does NOT cause blurred vision. Most eye ointments DO cause blurred vision, that's ONE of the reasons, the ointments should be used at bedtime.

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone have any answers for those of us that have watery eyes in cold windy weather?

6. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

TRY ZADITOR , IT WORKS FOR ME , PHIL BURTON 95-02565

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Panoptix make a excellent product to help your eyes in windy conditions.

Many Eye Docs are recommending taking fish oil and flax seed oil for dry eyes. It really helped me.

8. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Go back & read the thread on watering eyes while shooting. I believe it was around two weeks ago. Zaditor will help IF it's caused by an allergy. Also read about the side effects of these drops.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I shot with my eye doctor yesterday and in talking about this problem he suggested that I might try untinted vanity contact lenses, the kind that are used to change eye color. He's never thried them for that purpose but said that the theory is sound and the lenses are inexpensive enough.

Morgan

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have an appointment in a few weeks with a local plastic surgeon who advertises that he can fix dry eye syndrome. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ed

11. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Here is another user of flax seed and fish oil. I take 3000 mg of omega 3 oil a day and it has helped much but not cured.

Arnie

12. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

One thing that has really seemed to help with my watery eyes in the cold winter wind is to wear glasses that have a wrap-around shield to lessen the cold breeze from blowing across my eyes and making them water. I've also noticed that wearing those cardboard "blinders" on the temples of the glasses does almost the same thing, but you'll lose some peripheral vision if you shoot skeet or sporting. .....Rick

13. idoc

idoc Member

Folks: We do a lot of dry eye in our practice. Dry eye a decade ago was largely considered a lubricating problem. Today the thoughts are more centered on an inflammatory condition. It seems the correct answer is different for certain individuals. We know for sure that post menopausal women on non-estrogen therapy for example are set up for difficulty. Also as we get older the condition gets worse. One of the best diagnostic tools that we have is, if your eyes bother you most when you first wake up in the morning chances are very good it's dry eye.
    Let's start with systemic problems. If there is a history in your family or with your self of Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disease, or if you may have been exposed to lime disease your chances are greater of having difficulty.
    Here are the things that you can do to try to help. 1. No smoking (big). 2.Not more than 2 cups of coffee a day (reduce caffeine). 3. Drink 3-5 glasses of water a day. 4. Eat fish three times a week. Also recommend taking a good fatty acid supplement. The best I have found is from a site called opthealth.com Not cheap about 28 bucks a month but it gives you the necessary 2000 mg of omega 3 in three capsules you take with breakfast. It's called Advanced Dry Eye. If that's too expensive you can read the ingredients and try to duplicate as much as possible.
    Being a shooter and having trouble with dry eye I can relate to the problem. In fact a recent study in Japan indicated a significant affect on acuity. They recommended we actually have the patient blink a few times in the office better we measure their vision. Drinking the water is really important. What Ed is probably referring to is there are new meds on the market that are anti-inflammatory that help dry eye. The one used most is called Restasis. The treatment of dry eye has come a long way in a short period of time. If you having trouble see your eye doctor. Have to get to the office. Will try to get back later with some recommendations on different lubricants..........Rich

14. idoc

idoc Member

Rick your right about the wrap glasses....The hidefspex panther is great (expensive).............Rich

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I took Restasis for six months and noticed only marginal improvement. What works best for me, although very temporarily, is saline nasal spray dropped into my eye. I got that tip from Nora Ross, as she also suffers from dry eye and was given that advice several years ago by the doctor she sees in Florida.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.