1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One More Spolar Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Greg LV, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I want to replace my 12-ga loader and have been researching the Spolar. Many of you have posted positive and negative comments on the Spolar and I appreciate your candor. I found a video on U-Tube, I've pasted the link below, of a guy from Texas demonstrating how to load on a Spolar. Now to the question; what is that God awful buzzing sound when the press is in the full up stroke position? And what is its usefulness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyP0LL43Jws

2. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

That is the vibrator. It's purpose is to keep the primers moving and settle the powder and shot for consistent loads. I agree it is awful annoying. It seems to me that a premium quality product like the Spolar could use a much nicer vibrator. The noise spoils the enjoyment of loading with a Spolar.

Dave Stearns

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

At first, I agree with the annoying noise situation. However, after using the Spolar for a few months, I find the noise quite tolerable, and I miss it when it is not on.

The primer tray on Spolar does not have enough angle to work without it well. The P/W tray did (for the most part) slide the primers without the vibrator. I had to tap it several times during each session on the P/W. That just never happens on the Spolar. Perhaps if Spolar had more angle on the tray the small motor would not be necessary, but I believe the powder drops are related to it also.

I had the momentary switch go out on my Spolar, and tried to load without it while waiting for a replacement part. I found it distressing to load without the vibrator. I short stroked a couple of primers, and it was just plain miserable. New plate installed, life is good again.

It is perhaps an acquired taste, but effective. Never miss a primer feed, powder is dead on every time. The joy of reloading on a Spolar is greater than just a vibrator going off. Same with hydraulic, as the sound change is my clue to get off the pedal. Reloading becomes a rhythm if that makes any sense, and you can casually load vast amounts of perfect reloads in a short period of time on one.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

you guys are cracking me up! why don't my other reloaders need a vibrator?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

quartering---Do you do anything on this site other than stir up sh!t? If you ever loaded on a Spolar the concept of why your other loaders don't need it or have it would be evident. Why does a Hornady use their type of system? Why does MEC use their type of system? Its how Spolar's set-up is designed.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Didreckson, I don't have a Spolar, I have a PW. I don't think the primer tray angle makes any difference. Too step also will cause problems. You can bet Spolar has tried everything. What caught my attention was the commment about the PW primer tray working "(for the most part)" and tapping it. That is my experience. It seems most are in denial about the problem. I added a vibrator to my PW. Only vibrates when I seat the primer. I got tired of constantly "tapping it." There is no way to adjust for it. It is not a matter of how slick the tray is but of how the primers form an arch where the tray narrows at the bottom and stop flowing. The vibrator keeps the arch from forming.

The vibrator will vibrate the whole machine like a speaker. I doubt there is an effective way to muffle the noise. Not worth the effort.

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I actually asked Carter about the primer tray, and he rattled off some data that meant nothing to me. Bottom line, spolar tray works fine with the vibrator. Various angles as you say being steeper I guess was not the answer. I do keep my polished nicely, clean it very often, including the q-tip through the little maze before the track.

My P/W honestly worked OK. It did as you eluded to arch at the top, and a few bumps would straighten it right out and flow again for maybe a couple of boxes worth of shells. I kept the P/W very clean and polished also, but that only worked until the primers met the track entrance.

All good....Would not trade my spolar, but the P/W and Mec's I have owned made a great shell also.

8. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Setteled, I'm going for the Spolar. Thank you all for your feed back.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

Quartering hails from Shotgun World. Shotgun World is MEC central. It is very hard to to get past the "mec will do anything and is all you really need" attitude over there.

john

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK. Yea, the vibrator noise is a tad annoying. Call or email Whiz White. He has a vibrator that is just as effective with a fraction of the noise.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Someone on this site had the great idea of putting one of those really thick rubber bands around the spolar primer tray, thus reducing the noise. The kind that might be on broccoli at the super market.

I think that 300 shaking primers are the main culprit of annoying noise? The motor certainly makes some noise, but after loading on #2225 for a couple of years, it is comforting to me. When my momentary switch went out, I honestly just had to quit loading. To distracting not having my top stop sound off.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hell, that noise ain't annoying. You want to hear annoying, i'll tape myself singing while i reload on my Pacific. Then you'll be wishing your Spolar vibrator was louder. Wish i had to worry about that annoying buzzzz.-----Matt

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Use a large rubber band instead of tape - it's easier to open and has additional noise damping qualities. I agree - the vibe is loud at first, but I've come to like it as a judge of the steadiness of my rhythm and stroke.

14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I got my Spolar about a year ago and it actually came with a rubber band for the primer tray. To much of a hassle for me to take it on and off. I do mind the buzz, but that thing works. Just forget to turn it on and see how long before the primer doesn't seat. The only problem I have ever had with a Spolar was self inflicted. Over 10K shells loaded on it and zero issues. Hal Hitchcock

15. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I found it interesting that during the demonstration on the youtube link referred to in the first post of this thread the demonstrator was having problems with the primer feed, etc. Not too impressive for such an expensive machine.

16. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

During the demonstration, the fellow also stated that his favorite hull to reload was the Remington AA. Enough said.

17. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Its a good buzz.........................

18. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Greg,
    Thank you.

All of the online videos make the sound of the vibrator sound worse than it actually is if the reloader is being operated in the normal way, for a couple of reasons:

First, the vibrator is activated by the momentary switch, and normally only activates for a fraction of a second before the operator reverses direction, resulting in little more than a short beep. In the case of the videos, the operators are talking about the reloader and reloading at the same time and as a consequence, don’t reverse quickly enough, the noise is louder and longer than normal. In such instances or when the operator wants to keep the die turret in the up position for an extended period of time, there is an on off switch, next to the momentary switch, that can be used to turn the vibrator off completely. We also provide a heavy rubber band that helps dampen the noise.

Second, the videos were filmed in rooms which magnified the noise.

Our primer system holds about 400 primers and is standard equipment. It holds twice as many primers than even the primer tray extension some companies offer as an accessory for sale. Many of our other standard features, are “accessories” for other companies or are offered only by aftermarket “fix the problem guys”.The vibrator does more than eliminate the need to bang on the side of the primer tray to move the primers. It also settles the powder and shot in the bushings and results in the most accurate and consistent component drops possible. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our reloader and have incorporated many suggestions by customers over the years. We have looked at ways to improve the vibrator, but so far have not found an improvement we think will work as well and also be economically feasible.

Dicksie Spolar
    Spolar Power Load, Inc.
    800 227 9667

19. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Dicksi;

Thank you for the clarification on the noise the vibrator makes while reloading on a Spolar. I wouldn’t let the noise stop from purchasing a Spolar, just doing some research before I buy. Is there a brochure available that you might be able to send me?

Thanks again

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I made a vibrator (motor with offset weight) for the primer tray on my P/W 900. I put a micro switch on the base that actuated when the primer was seated. It worked great!

I could not atand the noise!! Ended up taking it off. Just have to tap the primer tray a few times to fill the track. No big deal as it is right in front.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.