1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One More Question about AVG AntiVirus

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Dog, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Am going to drop Norton. Went to store today and found AVG software. There were two kinds. Am wondering which would be better, the AVG anti-virus or the AVG Internet Security which includes anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware. Both said low system usage. Help and thank you.

Old Dog

2. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I got tired of Norton and dropped them also. I went to AVG Internet Security. Before going with AVG I had virus issues and had to rebuild the computer. Since installing the AVG which I purchased for a 2 year contract, I have not had a problem.

I let it completely run once a day and start the day with any updates. I think it's a great program. Michael

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you are using Windows XP or a previous version, the full internet security package may be your best bet, especially if you are not behind a router. Just remember that AVG has a free version that you can use for personal use that can be downloaded from their site. You should also run a firewall and there are several versions available for free. A popular one is Zone Alarm from Zone Labs.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I agree with Quack...those are what I use...no more problems!

5. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Ok guys, thanks. Went with the AVG Internet Security package. It is now installed and Norton is gone.

OD

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you sure Nortons gone? Norton has a download that will remove all traces of Norton from your unit.

7. Mnflatlander

Mnflatlander TS Member

Old Dog,
    I also used Norton. I bought a new computer(XP)and had AVG installed. So far, I'm very happy! I think Norton has alot of stuff that fills the computer memory. AVG runs everyday. Works great! Phil

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Once it's in it's never out. It's in there, hiding, waiting to reactivate. HMB

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I tried to remove all of Mc Afee with their MCPR2.exe removal tool before installing the new version. Could not get rid of a lot of stuff, and I mean a lot.

I too think that once it is in, it's in. Even went to the "C"drive to try and remove the leftover junk. Even did a search for McAfee and found s lot more junk.Said "Cannot delete mcvsshl.dll: Access is denied". Etc. Etc.

I had the free version of AVG on one computer and it still sits next to my desk infected with two viruses that I identified but could never get out. It crawled slower than a snail before I put it to rest. Ray

10. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

grunt...We did a search for "Norton" and a few items came up. We deleted them, did a second search and nothing came up. Does that mean Norton is really gone. If not, and we have to use the download you mentioned, how do we get that download? Thanks

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

x Trap 2: Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-[delete] ONCE to get to the PROCESSES running and run down the list to see if "mcvsshl.dll" is running If it appears on the list, highlight it and delete the process, then run the Norton uninstall again.

Whiz

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Once you've ran Norton on your computer and decide to remove it, you should use a Norton Removal Tool. Click on this link Norton Removal Tool and find the one that pertains to your computer.

Hope this helps.

Hauxfan!

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hauxfan, Your the man!! Dave

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Grunt, I just try to help where I can. Hope it helped you and others.

Hauxfan!

15. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Thanks Hauxfan, will try this Norton Removal Tool when the woman gets home from Church. Maybe there is still some Norton lurking because so far the computer is slower with the AVG than with the Norton.

Old Dog

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Old Dog you might want to also do a search for files with the word Symantec in then that is the only way I could find all the files that are related to Norton.

Bob Lawless

17. bas

bas Member

I don't have problems with Norton either...have used it "forever".

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Whiz, No it is not running. I also do not run Norton. I was trying to do an upgrade when McAfee expired.

The new disk I bought gave me the W32/ircBOT.WORM! I could not log on to the internet. I did a system restore to an earlier time. I did the un install again an tried to reinstall it. Same thing happened three times. I searched and could not get all out.

I emailed several times with no luck. I was just given bad links and the run around. I then called McAfee and they said I did not have a disk and I was on a 30 day trial as it was not registered. I told her I could not register it as it did not work and gave me the worm. I told her I had bought a disk last year, it was registered, when it expired and all was fine. I did the same thing this year and the CD gave me the worm. She would not listed and was no help.

I called where I had bought the Mcafee CD and they offered to refund my money or send me another disk. Reluctantly I said to send me another disk as I wanted it working, but I really thought I would have the same trouble installing it. Well,I did all the same way and it installed fine. Is up and running now. I started in August and got it working in December.

All I can say is that you can not talk to McAfee, or at least not the woman I got. Ray.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.