1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One million rounds....have you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cbxchris, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Well to settle another topic where many have claimed BS on shotgunworld I ask another question of you experienced shooters.

I made the statement one million rounds have commonly been shot in one K gun. I know of three locally that would qualify. Of course they have had some break downs but the guns are still in service. I have also seen several come in to a great gunsmith where a shot count is documented.

I expect to to see some very high numbers here.

As a addition to the original question it was also questioned (and I was called BS on also) that it was virtually impossible for a shooter to acquire 1 million rounds in a lifetime of shooting. I totally disagree with that assumption.

Thanks for your time. This should be interesting.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just to get our heads around the number... If you shot 100 rounds five times per week, 52 weeks per year, for 38 years straight, all in the same shotgun, you'd still fall short of 1 Million rounds.

"Commonly" therefore seems like a stretch.

-Gary

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

In my best years I managed to shoot 20,000 rounds (& not from one gun). I did it for 3 out of 5 serious competition years. That's 400 rounds every week, on average. At that rate I'd have to shoot for 50 years to make a million. Some guys have all the luck.

Kip

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

1,000,000 rounds through a KGun? Thats impossible! Haven't you heard how they come apart after shooting considerable less than that. Check the archives. Many many have experienced this occurence according to posts on here. Why I would suspect more like 100,000 to be max.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I know of one guy with 250k through his. He is 80+ years young and still shooting. He has reloaded over 850,000 shells.

His name is Jerry Grimes.

I doubt you will find too many guns with a million rounds through them.

Don Verna

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

How much would it cost to shoot a million rounds?
    Steve Balistreri

7. kemco01

kemco01 TS Member

There is a man from Ohio, 1,620,650 singles and still at it, absolutley amazing!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not through one shotgun, he doesn't.

-Gary

9. ken a

ken a Member

AS the saying goes that pretty good whether they did it or not. Some people just don't have a grasp on math.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Many folks, including myself, have shot far in excess of a million rounds. Through the same gun? Not I. There have been many years in which I have shot over 100,000 rounds annually, rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I don't even want to think how many houses, cars, and retirement funds I put through the barrel of a gun. LOL

At nearly 65, I have slowed way down. I have had a good run, and still enjoy shooting as much as I did when I was 8 years old. "The magic never fades."

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I don't know about the K gun....BUT....1 million rounds is not that big of a deal....I've known pistol shooters that would shoot 50,000 of practice minimum, for 1 match. Some people practice. I used to feel lazy if I didn't shoot 2000 a week.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an article in T&F several years back about Vic Reinders and his Remington model 31 and how many shots he put through that gun? Anyone recall that clip?

Hap

13. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I was fortunate enought to shoot next to Gerald Burkhart at the club in Pittsburg at a registered shoot last summer. I was there on a trip, and took my trap gun along.

At the time he had over 1,600,000 registered singles. You can check his totals on the ATA website.

I don't think I have been welcomed and treated any nicer anywhere I have been. That is really a nice club.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Never had a gun that long. Owned them long enough to put several thousand through them.

Amazing how the rifle and pistol shooting creeps in here. Punching holes in paper is different than shooting clays, especially on a cost basis. The original question was about a shotgun.

I too doubt one gun = one million.

Don

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There was an old fellow that use to shoot in San Diego "Bill Gemmion" (sp?) He had been shooting trap since the early 1930's. When Ljutic came out, he bought gun #4. He shot that gun until he could not shoot any longer (late 1990's). The gun was beat to hell. He told me it had well over 1,000,000 rounds through it. When he quit shooting, he either sold or gave it to another shooter. That man, had the gun rebuilt by Ljutic and bought my unused butt stock, to replace the battered one. As far as I know he's still shooting the gun. Maybe, someone in San Diego knows who I'm talking about. I can't recall his name.

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

BIGDON, whats you feelings on slingshots?

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mahlon Schwar shot over 334,000 registered singles with the same Model 12-plenty more in practice, meat and money shoots!!

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

bigdon.....you haven't purchased any match ammo ? you need to get out more.....shooting a shotgun is one of the cheapest activities with a firearm. Good match ammo can be 1.00 ea and more.

If ya only want to talk shotguns. there's the MU's The Olympians, Kim Rhode, who shoots 500-1000 rds per day.

From what I've seen, the majority of trapshooters are hobbyists, especially the registered shooters.....you know them ......the ones that won't waste their time practicing.

19. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I also have had the honor of shooting with Jerry from Ohio. He is a true gentleman, and a fine shooter. With 1.6+ million registered singles, I am sure he has shot a few unregistered targets over the years also.

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I think I shot a million bb's throught my crosman 766 when i was a kid..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.