1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Gun for Singles / Another for Doubles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TrapDude21, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapDude21

TrapDude21 TS Member

I'm looking to start shooting doubles and wasn't sure if folks use one gun for both events OR if you have one gun for each. What are the advantages & disadvantages? Appreciate your thoughts.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a combo but there is certainly nothing wrong with an over/under or an auto or if you are good enough, a pump to shoot both events. An advantage of two guns is choke selection. Some disadvantages are finding two guns that fit, additional costs and more guns to clean.

Pat Ireland

3. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I am happy with a Ljutic Monogun for singles/handicap in combo with a (modified for trap doubles) Citori 425.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shot singles and caps with a 90T, then switched to a Citori Plus for doubles. It worked OK but they just had two totally different feel. Sold the Citori, gave the 90T to my son and bought a Kolar combo, no comparison.
    I could have shot everything with the Citori and saved me a bunch, but what fun would that have been.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The basic mantra is that the combination set will give you one well fitted stock and receiver for doubles and single bird events. But, it can be said that shooting an O/U for all events accomplishes the same thing - and further true with an auto-loader. The other side of the coin is that having two guns, one for doubles and another for single bird events, gives you a second gun or a backup should the single barrel fail at just the wrong moment. I've seen many people using all of the choices I mentioned.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat, Sarge, and all:

There's a reason people refer to autoloaders as "automaybees and jamamatics". They all take a squat sooner or later. Malfunctions seem most likely to occur when the owner or a squad mate is in the midst of a 'career best' event.

At this point I expect some proud auto owner/shooter to chime in and proudly announce, "my (Beretta, SuperX, 1100/1187, etc.) doesn't malfunction" to which I'll respond in advance, "YET".

sissy

Yes, I own several. No, I don't shoot them in serious competition.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting a single bbl for singles and 'cap's and an O/U for doubles since I started....back then combos were pretty exotic and I've never been tempted to change although that new Guerini Maxum combo is interesting....but it ain't a Ljutic or a Browning Superposed....

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot a K-80 combo for 7 years, then bought a used Seitz, and converted my MX8 32" sporting gun to a doubles gun using a PFS. Had my highest averages in years. I thought it would be a huge learning curve, but if the guns fit right, no problem.

9. BMC

BMC Member

I started with an 1100 which was fine for all three disciplines. It was a great gun. But then I upgraded to a BT100 and after dialing it in, I was more consistent with it for singles and caps, and just used the 1100 for doubles. After experiencing the occasional failure to cycle in doubles I decided to get an XT Trap after trying out a friends gun in doubles. Once I got the XT set up good for doubles it didn't take me long before I was using it exclusively, and became way more consistent across the board in all three games. Now the BT100 is used by my son and the 1100 stays in the case as a back up gun. One gun for everything now.

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ya mean no-one shoots a pump for doubles?

11. Recoil Sissy

An old friend pumped a bird's eye maple Wenig stocked 870 at doubles for a couple of years worth of registered doubles. Did a pretty good job with it too.

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Some of the greats did shoot pump guns for doubles. Model 12s and 870s were the favorites. Post-2

13. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Sissy,

Any progress on the Orlich articles? I would very much appreciate a copy if possible. I asked 'He Himself' last weekend and he doesn't have a copy after all these years.

Thank you, Steve

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Combo

Over/Under

Two guns with identical sight pictures one an O/U.

Auto

Two guns of whatever configuration.

This would be my order of preference, all things considered. The only possible disdvantage to a combo is tne receiver gets all of the wear and tear.

Using an O/U leaves you with the barrel length dilemma.

Finding two guns that fit, sight and shoot the same can be tough.

The auto means you're stuck with one choke for doubles and dirty looks from your squadmate on your right for flinging hulls.

Two guns is a poor man's choice or a make do, with a lot of post shoot "what if" sessions.

Your choice. Good luck.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I tried to use a pump a few times to shoot doubles. My greatest challenge was to get the second shell chambered before I shot at the second bird. I did not do well. I have seen some fine double shooters shooting a pump but they have become rather rare now.

recoil sissy- Yes, automatics will eventually malfunction due to a broken part, but so will other guns. I have had broken parts on the line with my previous M-12, Ljutic and Perazzi. My current K-80 has had its share of broken parts. I suspect that shooters have mental break downs on the line far more frequently than the worst built trap guns break.

Pat Ireland

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100s break alot of parts, but usually they fall out the bottom of the gun and the 1100 still functions good enough to get through the event.

The most important thing with an O/U for doubles is the POI of the two barrels. A good POI for the first shot and a good, but usually different, POI for the second shot, is not easy to come by. HMB

17. Recoil Sissy

RENOSTEVE:

It appears you have me confused with another "sissy" who knows something about Orlich articles. Sorry I can't help.

sissy

18. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Sissy,

My apologies, thanks for the comeback.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

90t gun for doubles