1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

one gun for everything

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slayer, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O.K. there is a saying at our trap and hunting club. "Beware of the man with one gun". I persaonally have tried to find a shotgun that I can comfortably use for trap and hunting [pheasants, grouse] with little success. the Browning gold hunter was my first try. I put in a mid bead and raised the comb with a cheek-eeze pad. Couldn't get out of the high teens low twenties with it, but it excels as a field gun. After some moderate success at trap with the Browning trap guns [bt-99, xt ultra], I am still bugged by the idea that I can get an auto loader that I can use for multi-purposes. Any suggestions?

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well you may be taking the "one gun" line a little too much to heart. My understanding, it is one gun for clay targets minus the hunting. Like the shooter who shoots the same gun for handicap singles and doulbes...........I personally think a good clay target gun is not a good hunting gun.

GS

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

OK sum it up for you......buy a field 870 or 1100/1187 with 28" barrel IM choke fixed or tubes. MC stock prefered for me. Shoot ONLY that gun for everything. Trap.sport.skeet.hunting. You shoot it enough it will shoot well for you. The 870/1100/1187 are flat shooters, much flatter than a XT or BT99
    For hah hah's last week I mounted my 22" slug barrel on my 870 express. With AA 26g #8s feather lights I manged a 17 23 19 20. Mind you I perposly was taking them as fast As I could. The slug barrel matches the specs of my Remington Mod choke. If I where to compete in a one gun shoot that combined trap skeet and sporting I would grab my 870 or browning gold. Which I really like also. The browning gold with wenigs semi inletted New American trap makes this gun a good all around shooter. For Strictly Trap I would stick to my XT with PFS set up to shoot high, considerably higher than the OEM stock and any of my field guns. For gotta grab 1 gun and go......my 870 field.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For me the one gun would be a Beretta 390, B80 Browning or 1100. I can average 24's in skeet or 16 yd trap without having done anything to it except swapping barrels around from my 390 to the B80. I normally do very well with the same guns for shooting doves as well. Don't get to shoot phesants yet but will change that next year. I have 4 or 5 O/U's, one of which is a 680 SP with a tube set and it just seems to fit also. I am at the point where I believe that the only way my shooting will improve is to be fitted and learn to concentrate better. How serious are you or do you want to be? Jackie B.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If I could find one gun, my 48 gun guncase would be empty!!!!!

Why would anyone want one gun?????

I want them all!!!!

Before they take them away

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Get a BLASER.

7. ink ball

ink ball Member

Presently, I have one gun for skeet, one gun for sporting clays, one gun for trap and one gun for hunting....that is a close to a "one gun shooter" as I'll ever get!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

slayer, I would think your XT would be a prime canidate for your purposes stated.

For a few years I used a MD12 Trap for both clay targets, pheasant, quail prarie chicken, duck, geese, occasional coyote. I also used a Perazzi O/U for the same plus skeet.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A Super X Model-1 with a straight trap stock, and different barrels. Although I would not want to lug one around in the Field all day for hunting. Wayne

10. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

Try the Beretta 391 Urika 2 Parallel w/30" barrel. Comes with 5 extended chokes.

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Missing a bird in bird season won't mean a bad day vs. a good day. It could be a difference between a win/lose in trapshooting (or any clay target sport for that matter). Get a dedicated gun for trapshooting and use whatever for hunting (just as long as you can hit reasonably well with it). I would bet most of the guys shooting they're rabbit guns for trap aren't the best trapshooters out there, but that's just my opinion and I don't know these people.

12. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I agree with GS. To me, one gun for everything means one gun for trap singles, doubles and handicap. A combo gun or automatic. If you want to hunt, skeet and sporting clays with the same (trap) gun, then get an adjustable comb, maybe adjustable length of pull, different barrel lengths and chokes. An auto or pump would be the least expensive way to go. I shoot a Beretta auto but have different barrels and adjustable stock, release trigger for trap, pull for everything else.

Good Luck!!!

milt

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot all trap events with 1 1/2 guns (K-80 combo). I guess I could change the Precision Fit Stock to make the gun OK in the field, but I an not sure about the double release triggers.

Pat Ireland

14. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

My one gun for target shooting is the Beretta 682X, have a 34" oversingle barrel for singles and handicap, 30" O/U FC for trap doubles, and a 30 3/4" sporting barrel with Kolar AAA tubes for Skeet/Sporting.

Ronbo

15. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

One Gun for everyday of the year that way you don't get tied down.

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Here in Central California, the quail hunting terrain can get mighty steep. I wouldn't want to lug a heavy target shotgun up and down the hills all day. My field gun is a M-12 20 ga., and sometimes even it seems too heavy.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks for all of the input guys. Pheasantmaster, I just got back from a great hunt in north central Iowa. i used the xt only once. When you are used to an auto [browning gold hunter] the double just doesn't get it for hunting. the multiple flushes left me empty more than once. the reason I like the "one gun concept"[for hunting and clays] is the idea of not having to adjust to a different gun all of the time. I think I'm going to try the beretta 391 parallel. But I'm not gettting rid of any of the other ones.

Bill in MI

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

slayer, you need to hand around some ole time duck hunters and they will teach you the concept of getting that two holer filled back up quickly. If we ever cross paths I will be happy to deminstrate.

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Beretta 390or391, yep that'll get er done.

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Been there....I mean, REALLY been there. Didn't work. You need the right tool for the right job.

Tron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one shotgun for everything