1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One for the ole 870

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I went to a Registered shoot Last sunday and thought I would shoot my 870 with adjustable morgan pad just for fun. The recoil pad is the only changes to the gun outside that it is Just a field 1975 wingmaster with a 30" full choke. there was a good turnout with plenty of high dollar trap guns, I shot a 97 and Lost to a 98 but I could'nt help but feel good about beating all but 1 of those high dollar guns with a field 870!

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Congratulations! I won my first junior State Shoot title in CT back in 1981 with a field grade 870, 28" full; also took class D that year with it for a 191x200 (my first year shooting).

The next week - I switched to the 1100; earned 7-1/2 yards in handicap over the next 6 weeks; including my first Grand, where I also ran my first 100 straight with the 1100.

When I wasn't shooting, I was watching Leo Harrison,III vaporize 27 yard handicap targets with his 1100 as if they were at 16 yards and the GAH winner that year used a field grade 1100.

God Bless field 870s and 1100s!

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Many of the older 870's and 1100's seemed to me to have great barrels, even in field grade.

4. cmh

cmh Member

Good for you!!! I normally shoot at the 16 with a old 60's era remington 870 TC. Stock as the day it left the factory. They needed another shooter for 27 yd handicap. I decided what the hell. So they called the squad and one of the guys happened to be someone I shoot with quite a bit. The guy on the other side of me had one of those jazzed up engraved brownings. A nice looking gun but he was a a**. He peered at me over his shooting glasses and in his best "do you have any grey poupon voice" said " you do realize this is for 27 yd handicap don't you" and looked disgustingly at my 870 like I was holding a pile of poop. I smiled back at him and said "yes, why else would I be out here" and turned around. Well, somehow I managed to pull and 24/25 on that round. Grey poupon shot a 14. My friend said "wow, 24 out of 25 for your first time at the 27 is excellant". At that time I made sure to look him right in the eyes and he seem to melt back up to the club house and I have never shot with him again. Now, I am not in the same league as many of you here. But at that moment I thought I just shot the best round ever. SImply because of his $$$$ attitude.

5. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

After 30 years absence from shooting I picked up the old 870TB, 1962 model, and recently broke a 99 in singles. The other night subbed on my brothers league team and had to shoot from the 26. Shot a 23. Man is that a long ways back. Have only seen the trap house from that far back when walking to the 20 yard line. Just can't beat the 870's.

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Rudy Etchen, possibly the greatest shotgunner ever, claimed to have put 2 million rounds through his 870. If it was good enough for Rudy...of course Rudy also owned a bespoke Purdey too...

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

It is a matter of can and choice. I begrude nothing to those that are able to invest more into this sport(that's the can) and choose(their choice)to shoot something a little more upbeat.I know of people from both ends of the spectrum, too poor to shoot(but do)and those very well off. I have found great friends through it all. I have also found some of the greatest disappointments, at either end of the spectrum. You see the only difference between a rich a$$hole and a poor one is the type of gun he is likely to be holding in his hands.It is very much like the size of the dog in fight, the only thing that matters is how much fight is in the dog. Savy?

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

It is a matter of can and choice. I begrude nothing to those that are able to invest more into this sport(that's the can) and choose(their choice)to shoot something a little more upbeat.I know of people from both ends of the spectrum, too poor to shoot(but do)and those very well off. I have found great friends through it all. I have also found some of the greatest disappointments, at either end of the spectrum. You see the only difference between a rich a$$hole and a poor one is the type of gun he is likely to be holding in his hands.It is very much like the size of the dog in fight, the only thing that matters is how much fight is in the dog. Savy?

9. Dave McC

Dave McC TS Member

Been shooting 870s since Ike was Prez. I've owned and operated other shotguns but keep going back to what I know works.

Dave McCracken....

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot an 870 TA. I love it and own a nice bass boat instead of a high end gun that I could not shoot as well as the 870.

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Several shooters have shot themselves into the HOF with Mod.12s, 870s, 1100s etc. It isn't the arrow, it's the indian. I begrudge NO ONE the ownership of a high end gun(just as long as they don't try and look down their nose at other people because they have one). Horses @$$es don't belong to a particular income bracket,you can find them in all social levels. Iv'e seen some Horses behinds with money, but then again, I have seen some wealthy men who were true gentlemen and sporstmen! I do not beleive it makes that much difference in the long run how expensive the gun is. It's all about what the man(or woman) behind the gun does with it. Rudy Etchen once told me there are 3 things that are a must on a trap gun. --A stock that fits the shooter, a good trigger, and a good choke. The rest is all fluff. Rudy won about everything but the title to the club houses at most gun clubs with his trusty 870. He was a man who could afford ANY gun and owned some fine ones(his duck gun was a Model 21 Winchester), but chose to shoot his 870 in competition trap. Rudy was man of substantial means, but trearted EVERYBODY the same. He was a true gentleman and sportsman in every sense!

12. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

13. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I've been snubbed before by some of the high end gun guys. While it doesn't bother me in the least I do see the subtle effect it has on new shooters or "on the fence" people who have come out to try shooting - and wanting very much to fit in, and being swarmed by people telling them "you need a good gun - at least a BT-99" (easily over $1,000 new), or worse, "if you like the sport, you need__________ gun (thousands of dollars)" Even if the guys are really nice about it, the truth is they are putting that "jab" in there. (Hey, if you want to be one of "us" you need_______")

Believe me, I've seen it happen over and over again and it makes me sick. Because new people with a genuine interest get turned away because they go home from the club thinking "oh well, I guess I'll stick to bowling" or whatever. They talk to their wives, who can barely stand the issue of having any gun in the house but might be willing to tolerate it if it's safe and fun, then she hears, "honey, I need to buy this $2,000 over under shotgun because that's what these guys use" and the reply is - Forget it!

Articles and leters have been written about this in Shotgun Sports
    magazine over the years. The snobbery is real, it's there and it's killing our future and turning new people away.

14. Bridger

Bridger Member

In all the years I've been shooting I have never seen any kind of discrimination against anyone who does not shoot a big name gun. In fact everyone here congratulated the poster on his success and many undoubtedly shoot far more expensive guns. Has anyone on here ever seen someone come on here and tell us about how he just beat the poor guy shooting the 870? I very much doubt it. It's always the reverse.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It' not the arrows, It's the indian. But it helps if the Bow shoots where you look.

16. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Stevel-ct,

Back when you and I started shooting, 870s, 1100s and model 12 were so common in the gun racks we had to put our names on them. They all looked about the same. When I made the move from my 870 to my model 12, which I still shoot on singles, I felt I had arrived!

Its always enjoyable to put a big score on the board, and savor the moment, when you are the only one shooting a model 12. I had such a moment today at a local hill top club which is known to be a difficult place to shoot a good score. I posted a 97 to win my class and had a blooper to lose out on a 98.

Rather than being looked down on, I usually get comments from the older shooters about the model 12 they used to shoot and should have kept. My only concession to age and recoil is to shoot one ounce loads along with the edwards recoil reducer which has been singing to me for over thirty years.

My advice is to choose a gun which you can afford and fits you. It is sad when new shooters are made to feel they have to spend a couple of grand to be accepted. Didn't used to be that way.

The main thing is to get out and shoot. Its results that count!

ed.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd won an 870 trap at a shoot back in the 70's and a month later I won a handicap event at the Grand with it.

Only modifications were a higher stock, Ray Stafford "bent" barrel, and a Herb Orre choke.

It was all redone 100% by A&A Engraving here, the company that makes all the commeratives you see in the NRA Hunter magazine. It was a beautiful refurbish and now sits in a glass case at home in the den.

A fun gun to shoot.

WW

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What everone forgets is that a shotgun will put them in the same place every time!

Barrel and choke will vary the pattern somewhat.

If you put that pattern on the bird..it will go up in a puff! Doesn't matter if it is a Crown Grade Kreighoff, or a Mossberg!

Old 870/1100s and Mod 12s are famous for great patterns.

I have a bunch of mod12s with fancy wood....I'm happy! I even have a couple of 870s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.