1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Final Toast to Doolittle's Raiders; Thank You.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

One Final Toast to Doolittle

Thank you gentlemen. While few remain, you carry the valor and bravery of all your brethren and the gratitude of a grateful nation. God's speed.

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Here-Here.
    Thanks for that reminder. Lest we forget.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The men of the Greatest Generation! I have a friend who is now 94. He was a Mitchell pilot in the Pacific during WWII. Although he did not fly the Doolittle Raid he did serve with him on several assingments. He also flew F-86s in Korea with Yager. Those of that generation gave all they had. I hold all of them in high reguard. God Bless them. Jake

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

A picture I took of Doolittle, John Landers and Leon Gray at 1986 Fighter Aces Reunion. Doolittle was ~ 96 and sharp as a tack. My father, an ace, was shot down by flak on August 18, 1944 and rescued by his #3 Royce Priest, another ace for the first Piggy Back rescue in USAAF (P-51). Priest got the DSC.

I asked General Doolittle why Priest didn't get the MoH as he had landed under intense fire from german infantry northeast of Paris to make the rescue. He recalled the 'incident', and knew my father's name even though I had just referenced him as 'my father'. He replied that Priest deserved it but he didn't want another incentive to risk two pilots - and issued a stern order to 'cease' to 8th FC.

drgondog_2012_131126.jpg

drgondog_2012_131127.jpg

5. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

Thank you gentlemen for your service to our country. You all are trully the Greatest Generation. God Bless you all.

6. thunder

thunder Active Member

A unbelievable generation of heroes. Thank all who served and for the greatest generation who sacrificed so much for us to be free. Let's not give our freedoms away.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Great men thanks for posting

8. UTVols

UTVols TS Member

Dear Lord...why am I crying???

9. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Thank you for reminding us.

10. 548

548 Guest

One of my favorite movies is "Pearl Harbor" with Ben Aflack & Kate Beckinsale. Granted, it was "Hollywooded" up a little bit, but it did a great job at the end when it portrayed the Doolittle Raid. If you haven't seen the movie, treat yourself to it please.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

@548 - if reality and facts are desirable there are Far better documentaries on the History and Military Channel..

12. Catpower

Bill 548 has no regard for reality and facts, it's all Hollyweird for him

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a picture of Jimmy Doolittle hanging in my house. I read his autobiography - "I could never be so lucky Again". Great read. Heck of a guy. If I remember right - he was the first who developed flying by instrutments.

Thanks.

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

IMO - he is one of America's greatest - all time

15. 548

548 Guest

drgondog - I realize that there are documentaries regarding the Doolittle Raid. I have seen and enjoyed them.

Catpower - Are you stalking me? Do you not have the ability to post useful topical information?

16. Catpower

No am not stalking you and I did post useful, topical, true information

It is real easy considering the drivel you post most of the time

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes, indeed, these are remarkable men. Doolittle and his men used the B-25 Mitchell bomber from an aircraft carrier, an aircraft named after a man court-martialed by the Army for "insubordination" for seeing the potential of the aircraft in warfare. Ironic. Look up Billy Mitchell. Chichay

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Talking about Pearl Harbor-the Japs really screwed up--instead of going after the ships they should have nailed the fuel depot, that supplied the entire Pacific fleet & dry docks first--then go after the ships--this way all the damaged ships would have had to be towed back to San Francisco for repairs & our undamaged carriers would have run out of fuel--this is per Chester Nimitz

Phil Berkowitz

19. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

I have had the opportunity since I retired to help restore a B-17. The orginization also has a restored B-25. They have hosted a Doolittle reuinion and fly in for several years since they are only approx 30 miles from Wright Patterson Museum. Two or three years ago I got to see three of the survivors.Great stories from great men! After sitting in a B-25 I do not know how they flew that many hours in those cramped noisy conditions but thank god they did.
    Marcus Taylor

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

It appears we have a good group of aviation buffs on here.

I would recommend, if you have not already, get a copy of the three part documentary "Pioneers in Aviation, The Race to the Moon".

This was produced by a good friend and classmate William (Bill) Winship, and has to be one of the best documentaries on aviation history. Many accolades if you look this up on the Net.

Thank You Gentlemen for your service !

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the final toast - thank you

the final toast thank you