1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One-Eyed to Two-Eyed Shooting- Experiences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kenf, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'm looking to finally begin converting to shoot with both eyes after a two year layoff. My averages weren't bad with only one eye, but there were times where I felt that shooting with one eye closed handicapped me. I guess if all else fails, I can always switch back.

I'm curious as to how others have handled the switch, and what if any pitfalls you struggled through getting confident with both eyes open. Also, did you eventually get frustrated and switch back, and did your scores improve, stay the same, or get worse over time.

2. mx3p4

mx3p4 Member

I began to shoot with 2 eyes and at first it was ackward but before long it became natural and I wish I had done it years ago. Your scores will inch upward with practice. Stay with it and you will be glad you did.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't close the eye; use something opaque to block the central vision of that eye so you can keep it open.

I tried for months to shoot with 2 both eyes. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. The most difficult part of it was in not being able to tell why I missed targets. With one eye I have a clear "image" of the rib in my field of vision even when I'm fully concentrated in the target. With 2 eyes I don't. I shoot both open sight and scoped rifles with both eyes open and have no problem at all but I can't manage that with a shotgun. I quit trying and went back to what I know works.

MK

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My experience was the same as MK's. Like a lot of middle-aged men, I am intermittently cross-dominant and could go along breaking targets like I knew what I was doing two-eyed and then miss six or eight in a row without knowing why. At Phil Kiner's suggestion, I put opaque tape across the top of my left shooting glasses lens.

Ed

5. The Stive

The Stive Member

I shoot one eye closed. I tried both eyes open and I saw two barrels crossing
    in an x. I went back to one eye and I am comfortable with it. I read some
    articles on shooting one eyed and that helped. The one thing that helped the
    most was to hold the gun lower on the house. My scores have improved and I am
    happy with the way I shoot. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.