1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One eyed shooting question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought my wife a new bt99 micro, this evening we shot a round through it, when I press down on the stock I can get the beads to figure 8 but cant hit anything with it when I have both eyes open.. after 7-8 misses I tried shooting it with just one eye, like a rifle and never missed a bird.. I never shoot with one eye always two.. any ideas on this? thanks!

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The gun doesn't fit you!

ss

3. kolarroy

kolarroy TS Member

Call Phil Simms, he can help you. He is not only a premier stock builder, but more importantly, a stock fitter. Hope this helps, Roy

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why are you shooting HER gun?

And, more importantly, how is SHE doing with it?

5. PODO

PODO TS Member

Blackcloud - what kind of scores do you get from shooting you shotgun with one eye? You might find out that some great shooters do shoot with one eye -TOM

6. Peasant

Peasant TS Member

I had the same problem...my vision is very poor I have double vision without my glasses on...plus I am right handed and left eye dominate. My trap coach suggested a small piece scotch tape on my glasses over (just a small piece to cloud the line of sight)on my dominate eye side...I can shoot with both eyes open now I see the target sooner more light and my average went from 92 to 97 only been shooting 6 month...hope this helps it helped me...

Good Luck

Ugo

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with shooting one eyed.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

blkcloud- Several things you stated struck me. First, you said that when you press your face down hard you can see a figure eight with the sights. You should never press down with your face. Always bring the gun up to your face, not your face down to the gun. Having the sights form a figure eight is nor relevant to anything. Bring the gun to your face and ignore any space between the mid bead and the front sight.

Shooting with one eye is sometimes necessary if one suffers from cross dominance. If you can use two eyes, that is better in nearly every case.

Pat Ireland

9. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

All a stacked figure 8 will tell you is your eye is directly over the center of the barrel. I think that when you "push down hard" that gets your right eye low and behind the gun, the left eye has a clear view of the target and just takes over.

Folks like me gain a great deal by jacking up the comb which gets me ABOVE the gun where my eyes can work together...get the gun outta my way helps keep that left eye from taking over. This makes the gun shoot high and I float and never loose sight of the target. This works for me and my eyeballs....your mileage may vary.

10. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone needs some time at the patterning board. They don't all require the same sight picture. Pad the comb til it is comfortable, print it on paper, and then use that visual image of the rib/beads when you shoot. Not the perfect solution but after all, it is your wife's gun.
    dju

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A BT-99 Micro is designed for women and sub-junior shooters. Many good shooters resort to using one eye or a patch of tape on their off shoulder lens.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

She did great with it, I have a atlas thrower set up in my back yard, out of around 20 shots she hit about 17 including the first one and the last one.. I have never shot a bt99 and figured if she did so well with it I could too...lol..
    I am relativetly new at this trapshooting game, I'm the coach of my daughters 4h team mainly because I showed more interest than some of the other parents, and I love shooting loading and such.. I have always been told you have to make the figure 8 if you wanted to hit anything, also been told you cannot get the lead right if you shoot with one eye.. my citori I shoot with has no middle bead and only has 26inch barrels.. I usually shoot about a 80 out of 100..

13. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

blkcloud--check your pm's

14. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

If the target is stationary then i can shoot with both eves open. Once the target moves such as trap then it is only natural for the eye that has no obstruction in front of it to take over. Missed. I have to tell myself at every shot to close my left eye (right handed shooter) if i do not close it i generally miss the target. If you have no idea why you missed the target, then both eye's were probably open. Steve

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

bt99- I agree with your comment but I think I see a flaw in your shooting method. There should not be an obstruction over your right eye. You should be looking over the front sight at the area just over the trap. This will not result in an obstruction.

Pat Ireland

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

One question I have is.. I shoot my citori and 1100's with both eyes open but why would I have to shoot the bt99 with one eye??

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Because it doesn't shoot where you are looking with two eyes. Test the gun at the patterning board with one eye and then with two eyes and see if the POI is the same. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.