1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One-eyed Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Anyone out there that's switched from shooting with both eyes open to becoming a one-eyed shooter, but still shoots doubles with both eyes?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jon- Sounds too complicated for me to try. I have to shoot everything using one eye.

Pat Ireland

3. Drusso

Drusso Member

I shot with both eyes about 6 months ago. Did well at 16 but had difficulty further back and was a mess at doubles. Currently, I am back to one eye and feel comfortable. I have to hold low on the house because my gun has a raised rib.

Damian

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Many people do it the other way - shoot single and handicap with both eyes and doubles with one eye.

5. Jon Reitz

OK, I would still like to hear more on this one-eyed vs, two-eyed shooting concept. I'm told some people even close their left eye momentarily, but then open it before they pull/release the trigger for the shot.

6. Drusso

Drusso Member

John,

You are going to find many theories and suggestions on both styles of shooting. Without a doubt there are many more shooters (two eye) than one eyed. The major advantage that the two eyed shooter has is a much better depth perception. Also, they usually have earlier recognition of the bird once it leave the house. I am nowhere near an expert, in fact, I would still consider myself new to the game. I would shoot what is most confortable to you, then begin to concentrate on the other factors that will improve your scores. Many of the shooters at our club give this advice-------don't think about what you are doing so much-----If you do your scores will only go down. In time the mechanical part of the game will become second nature......

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have also switched from one eyed to two eyed,I have to use a barrel blinder and a dot on my glasses but it was worth it,I see targets much faster and shoot more consistent scores.Since getting used to using two eyes I seldom miss a first target in doubles and shoot the second target much faster.I also had to go back to a white bead from the colorful fiber optic sight I used when shooting one eyed,with both eyes open I just couldn't quit looking at it instead of the target. Jerry

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm in the opposite situation from Jerry. Until about five years ago i had always shot with two eyes with no problem. Then at the end of a long day with cold weather I had a problem with crossfiring in the doubles event, and finished it shooting with the left eye closed. Standard dominance tests still show that I am right eye dominant, but when I bring a gun to my shoulder I go cross-eyed. I have varied between shooting with the left eye closed and using tape on the left lens, and have tried off and on without success shooting with two eyes again. My averages in singles are down about a class from where they used to be. Doubles are about the same, and handicap is about the same even though I am on the 27 yard line now versus the 22/23 then. One of these days I plan to buy a Jordan Wall Chart and see whether I can use it to go back to two eyes again, but for now I'm stuck with one.

9. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i for one cant shoot 2 eyed tried many times highest score at 16s was an 8

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

After a failed experimint in two eyed shooting. and having only used on eye all my life. I think I found the answer, (until I try it I won't know for sure)

that I have been shooting from the wrong shoulder all these years

A couple weeks ago I picked up a shotgun that just felt wrong, that is until I looked closer and saw that it was set up left handed. After that I mounted it left handed and having both eyes open looked and felt right. even swinging it on doves flying around felt good.

Next step set up a shotgun so it feels good left handed and blaze away. who know's maybe that is my answer!

AL

11. Jon Reitz

Thanks for the input. I shot several rounds yesterday. Shooting with two eyes only repeated what I've been experiencing lately (poor target acquisition, jerky moves to the target, shooting behind the bird, etc.). Using a dot, centered on my left lens, I could not break a target, period.

Closing my left eye completely was a little better. However, this introduces a whole new set of problems. My field of view is now much smaller, and it really cuts down my ability to see the target well. I have to lower my gun hold point to below the front edge of the house. That feels very uncomfortable. I can't shoot doubles with my left eye closed.

J had an eye exam and bought prescription lens a while back. I have Terry's wall chart and a barrel blinder. I also have Phil's tape. I even talked to him about this the other day also. Not sure where all this is headed, but I'm now out of ideas.

12. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Jon
    "Using a dot, centered on my left lens, I could not break a target, period. "
    You don't put the magic dot in the center of the lense-you put the dot
    where you're eye pupil is when looking down the rib. Usually, it is never in
    the center of the lense.Have someone help you locate it properly.
    When located properly you will see a big difference.

Joe

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I never had any success with a dot. Put tape across the top of the lens and learn to shoot with it there. Before my eye problems set in, I carried a .98xx singles average and was on the 27 with one lens taped over. I always said that I would concentrate on doubles after I became a good 27-yard shooter but the eye problems came along before that happened.

Shooting one-eyed is kind of like using a release trigger, something I always said I could never do. Well, when I started flinching and realized that converting to a release was the only way I could continue doing something I enjoyed, I got used to to it quickly and had a 24 on my second trap with it. But if you continue to tell yourself you can't do something, your subconscious will do whatever it takes to prove you were right.

Tape up that lens, hold on the roof and shoot some targets. How do you think Nora (Martin) Ross shoots her doubles?

Ed

14. Jon Reitz

Mirage1,

I actually had a friend (a one-eyed shooter) place the dot om my lens.

Ed,

While I understand your analogy of going to a release trigger due to a flinch, (I'm with you on that one), I don't think it's quite the same thing, or at last not that simple. This vision thing just flat has me stumped. And if the ultimate answer ends up coming down to the top of the house and closing my left eye, I know I'm stubborn enough to teach myself how to do that. I'm just not convinced that's the answer. The barrel blinder, dot, tape on the left lens just don't seem to be right for me. Closing the left eye altogether - maybe. Closing the left eye for doubles - I seriously doubt that.

15. Jon Reitz

Jerry,

Read above. I've done that.

Thanks,

Jon

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Well I'm a two-eyed shooter. I'm a lefty and I've been having trouble tracking left birds. I decided, just to see where my swing was ending up, to start with two eyes and then close my right eye, like a wink, to see where my barrel is ending up. Seems like alot to do in a second or two. Well it is. With partial success I figured out that I need to swing the damn gun and follow thru.
    Now let's not get into how fast eye muscles can wink. Please no charts or statistical equations. Dave T.

17. Jon Reitz

Dave,

This is good, and thank you for the summary re charts, graphs or statistical equations!

Jon

18. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

I am right handed but left eye dominate so I shoot left handed. I have always shot one eyed since I was a kid. I purchased a new gun and had some stock work done on it to make the stock adjustable. The guy doing the work was fitting me for it and noticed that I shoot one eyed. He told me I should not be doing that and should go to two eyed. I took his advice and tried it for about 6 months. My scores went down down down. Finally my father (who shoots two eyed) told me to go back to one eyed shooting and I did and my scores went back up.

I would say do what is comfortable, the main thing is to make sure you can see the target. If you don't see it with one eye or two eyes you won't break it. Now my father has had surgery on his eyes and is crossfiring so he had to put tape on this nondominate eye to keep it from taking over. So what works now might not work down the road just stick with what is comfortable and working. One way is not better than another.

Brent Huber

19. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

After reviewing my handicap scores of late, my friends think that I have been closing BOTH eyes!! Thank-you.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

closing one eye in trap shooting

one eyed shooter

one eyed vs two eyed shooting

prescription lenses for deeped perception one eyed shooter

trap guns for one eyed shooter

trap shooting tips for one eye shooters