1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One-Eyed Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

I've heard one-eyed shooters say they have to hold a low gun (at top of trap house). I don't understand why. If I close my left eye my vision is reduced to my left but not my lower vision?

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Without the other eye to pick up the bird, your barrel will block you vision for some angles. Holding the gun at the roof line allows you to see the bird clearly no matter what angle is presented.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with being a one eyed shooter, 50% of shooters are one eye shooters..But if you close one eye, you will lose 50% of your vision...nuff said...and yes, you should hold a lower gun, like on the roof of the trap house.....

4. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

I hold a real low gun. If the gun were to go off and was powerful enough it would break the bird in the machine itself. This has its advantages because when your gun moves to the target it is perfectly inline with it and I just pass and shoot. Because I only have one eye this is the only way to see the bird the second its presented at all angles.

5. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

One Eye'd shooters try it.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is important to see the target leave the house. When shooting with one eye, the field of vision below the barrel is blocked by the barrel.

Two Dogs- When you close one eye, you do not lose 50% of your vision (sounds strange doesn't it). Your field of vision consists of a rather small central area where things are clear and in focus surrounded by a much larger area where you see things that are out of focus. Look at any object 10 feet away from you. Do not move your head or eyes but become aware of the things you see to the side. They are way out of focus. Closing one eye does not reduce this area where you see things clearly very much. It will only reduce part of the area to the side where everything is out of focus.

Pat Ireland

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

1 eye:
    I agree with your point of aim, but I attribute it to letting the eye focus on the rock sooner with the gun/bead well below the line of sight than with it all on the upper edge of the trap house.
    And it seems even more important on hot days late in the game when the barrel is hot. Keeps the mirages from being a distraction.
    Having to swing a bit further to the rock does not seem to gum up the works.
    dju

8. tj303

tj303 Member

I have shot one eyed (using a 'dot') for years and have found after thousands of targets I do better with a hold point above the the house than below the roof line. Starting with a low gun creates to much gun speed, shooting over straight a ways and ahead of hard lefts/rights. The less you have to move a gun to get to a target the better your chances are of breaking the target.

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I can share with you what happened to me this weekend and WHY it is even more critical for a one eye shooter to hold the gun in the proper spot. As it states closing one eye will in effect decrease certain abilities you have for target vision......the ONLY way you can make up for this is by proper gun hold at all times. Regardless of how much gun speed you do or do not have I believe the most important issue for a one-eye shooter is to see the target leave the house as SOON as possible. With that said I always teach a one-eye shooter to hold at the level of the roof and on the end stations off the house about a foot and slightly lower than the roof. It is critical you do not let a target get out under your gun barrel before you see it. So this weekend I am at a little 50 bird non registered shoot. 5 of us go into the shoot-off for getting 50's after two rounds there is two of us. The club I am at has a rule for these shoot-offs that after the first 25 it is miss and out. So on my 264th target I miss.......WHY??? I was in station 5 and had poor gun placement. I had my gun off the house but I had held it too high letting the bird get out under my barrel. I was slow to the target because of this and dusted the bird for a loss. Over the years I have kept a record of how I miss. #1 Late to the target because of poor gun mount and not being able to see the target emerge, 2 High and behind.......usually caused by the same mechanical break down. 3 High.....Usually happens in good strong backwinds and just generating too much gun speed. Find out how you miss......and plan a course of action to lower those odds..........Focus on getting the best look at the target you can!!!!

GS

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I am a one eye, L eye very dominant, RH shooter. I am adding this message to reinforce that Hold Position is Very Personal with trial & result. I have been to 2 clinics this year where both notable instructors told me ( & us one eyers) to hold between the back edge and front edge of the roof(& put cones to help us).

I shot about 1500 targets this way, with lousy results and continual jumping at birds or moving gun in advance. I could not break 90. I did not see the target well. In the end of July, I returned to my "old" hold which is on the back of the house, (as low as where you see a house #) and low and off the house on 1 & 5. nearly on the ground. Yes these seem very low, and I feel I am a long way from the target.

Since returning to these low holds, I have averaged 95+ on my last 500 targets. I am in better control and have stopped moving before the target comes out, with better centered hits. Last fall, using my old low holds, I had several 98's, 97, etc. So, I tried holding on the roof & I tried it for 4+ months - it didn't work.....for me.

I am hardly qualified to give advice, but my experience is that I had to experiment & stick with it for a while, to find what works for my vision, my mount, my focus ability, me.

I am still a work in progress and seeking the confidence and repeatability to improve my scores.

Perhaps other one eyed shooters can learn from my experience and try to find their own personal hold points, that works for them. It does not matter what others shooters do, to find your hold spots - high, medium, low or spots you haven't tried yet.

Good Luck !

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Now when we speak of "one eyed" shooters are we also grouping in the folks that shoot with a dot on their lens, but keep both eyes open, like myself?

I couldn't imagine holding a gun as low as some of you have talked about. I am 6'5" and hold an almost flat gun. Now I have just recently just got back into shooting therefore I am really out of practice, but I am falling back on ways I was shown and taught (no clinics). During houses #1 & #5 I hold at the far front corner of the house about 2-3 ft on top. This sounds so much different than what is being said here I am wondering if I am that completely wrong.

Bryan

12. ned408

ned408 Member

If there are one-eyed shooters that are still wondering or have questions, feel free to call or write Nora. She can tell you what has worked for her, and she's always happy to do it. It won't replace a clinic, but it may get you going in the right direction. 859-473-1622
    Randy Ross

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Calkid My response is for all types of one eye shooters. But I only reccomend that one-eye shooters use some type of block and keep both eyes open.

GS

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

....Steve got it right--My glasses look exactly like his. Tried the dot but I tended to try to peek around it. Tried tape part way across still worked only marginally. Tape all the way across works best for me...SMOKIT

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I find that the dot works just fine. I use the system where you put a removable dot with a black ring and move it around the lens until you can see the beads through the black ring with your left eye. Then you put the more permanent dot on the inside lens using the black circle as a template. This allows for more peripheral vision, because the only thing you want to block your left eye from seeing is the barrel, not your entire field of view.

Bryan

16. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I have getting some great advice from a AAA/27 yd shooter re: one eyed shooting. It's the way he shoots and he is really tough. I have to close one eye completely, nothing less will work; I hold low, around the lower third of the back of the trap house. The tip above to get outside the house on Posts 1 & 5 finally made this all gel for me today. I broke my first 25 at 16 yds. I started out two eyed about 8 months ago and it has been a slow process to finally get this right for me. I encourage any one eyed shooter to work it out for themselves. No one has the "right" answer for you. You can only take the tips you here and work on them and finally reform it to fit you. I tried Magic Dots, tape, holding higher, calling for the bird with both eyes open and then closing the off eye, etc etc. Finally settled on where I am and have been steadily shooting better for several weeks. Now I hope to build on this.

The forum has been a great help to me, as has my one eyed champ friend. A couple of two eyed shooters also gave me lots of help on form and gunfit and don't mean to leave them out at all.

Good shooting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.