1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Eyed Shooters - What's Your POI ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I guess this is one of the subjects that gets burned out ocassionally. Anyway, since it is my belief that one eyed shooters generally have a flatter poi, I'd like to take a poll. I'm left eye dominant right handed shooter and feel that my comfort level is about a 80/20 POI. Opinions?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

blade819- I have the same contra-lateral situation that you have. My gun is now set at 100% high and I am thinking of going higher. Remember, the POI is where the gun shoots, not where you shoot the gun. It is not difficult to shoot a gun with a high POI low.

Pat Ireland

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hold on the house with a 100% gun. I can't make a logical argument to myself why I should have pellets below the POA with a rising target particulary if I want to see the target until I fire.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I think I'm somewhere around 60/40 or so the notches say on my Kolar. I hold on the house and shoot a rising gun. Sometimes with the wind or how the birds are flying I may be still bringing the gun up as the bird is leveling out, can't tell you how many times the bird broke when I've shot over it.
    It may all be in my mind but I do feel I'm shooting a very flat shooting gun.
    "A shooter, 95 average".

5. Kent

Kent TS Member

I shoot a 70/30 gun with the beads stacked. I actually rifle shoot/aim at every bird. I do hold on the bottom lip of the house and move the gun when I call pull. I know I do it the wrong way but after only a 100,000 targets a few of them started to break.

Not haveing one of my better years average wise but I have had 3- 98 plus singles seasons.

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

you better set your poi to where you are comfortable,not where somewhere else is

bill

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm a one-eyed shooter and patterning boards tell me that my trap guns shoot 120% high. But I must say that I firmly believe that we - or at least, I - shoot at moving targets with a moving gun differently than we/I shoot at a stationary target with a stationary gun. I can screw up or the wind can knock a target down so that when I release my trigger, the bead is covering the target and it still breaks fairly hard, although it was obviously hit high. If the guns really did shoot that high on moving targets, I would think those targets would be lost.

Before the onset of my eye problems, I was AA/AAA singles and my assigned yardage was 27.

Ed

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I don't have a dominant eye, so i have to shoot like wrong eyed people.

I used to shoot, quite well, a 22" high @ 40yards POI. I came all the way down, over time, to 50/50. Couldn't hit spit, so i crept higher. Right around where you are now and up to 90/10 (between 9" and 12" high @ 40 yards) is where I start hitting targets well. That applies whether I have tape over by left eye or not. I could easily shoot a higher gun for ATA, but I'm trying to stay low so I'm more consistent with the other shotgun sports.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My TMX and my MX-3 Single barrel both shoot about 9 inches high at 40 yards. I raised the comb to get a higher POI and it was a disaster so I went back to 9 inches high.

10. trappug

trappug TS Member

60/40 or 50/50 but I get the best breaks I've ever had.Sometimes I loose site of the bird(they still break),Which I know is bad,but I cant seem to get under them.I've tried higher poi but did not shoot well.I think I have done way to much field shooting or so Im told.

11. blade819

Thanks for the inputs. I shoot a K80 Trap Special and with the unsingle rib down all the way it produces about an 80/20 with close to a figure 8 on the beads. I wish I could lower the rib more and am thinking of maybe going to a lower rib or a top single. My O/U I am also shooting 80/20 and have a little more leeway to lower the rib perhaps producing a 100/0, I'm shooting this weekend at Hog Heaven so I'll experiment with the O/U. However, in agreement with most of you and advise of several "top guns" who I talked with, high guns kill birds is the opnion. I'm also taking a Nora clinic in November so I'll see what see says. Pat, I'll see you at the Dixie huh? Or maybe at the NC Hall of Fame?

John

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Im set up for 90-100%...i hold 3ft over the house...call for bird with both eyes open and then swing gun and close non shooting eye simultaneously...I think?

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Mine is 55/45 and 60/40 for handicap, hold right on the front lid. 98 singles,94 doubles av.......if I set my poi any higher I will blow over low targets...........

GS

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Depends on the gun. Recent past gun 13" high. Newest gun which I have just started working with, at present 16". I had one model 12 which was 20". Height was at 39 yards.

15. blade819

CalvinMD..... I use to keep both eyes open until I swung the gun then closed the left eye. Then I had a Eye Dr. tell me that when you close the left eye, the right eye needs to refocus (compensate) therefore you may miss. I now close my left eye at the house. You may want to give it a try. I thunk the Dr. was Frank Rivley who told me that.

John

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Calvin's way may seem problematic, but he doesn't miss much.

Maybe he has those eyes like a chameleon that work and move independently???

Is you a lizard Calvin??

Guy

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I might be...that would explain the 4ft tongue

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@Calvin!!

Pat and Ed, I've heard this term over the years made by lots of guys.

"Remember, the POI is where the gun shoots, not where you shoot the gun. It is not difficult to shoot a gun with a high POI low.

Pat Ireland"

"I'm a one-eyed shooter and patterning boards tell me that my trap guns shoot 120% high. But I must say that I firmly believe that we - or at least, I - shoot at moving targets with a moving gun differently than we/I shoot at a stationary target with a stationary gun. I can screw up or the wind can knock a target down so that when I release my trigger, the bead is covering the target and it still breaks fairly hard, although it was obviously hit high. If the guns really did shoot that high on moving targets, I would think those targets would be lost." By Average Ed

I'd think, looking for a logical answer on how that comes about, may prove to be very interesting? Specifically when the gun patterns well over 100% high and as Ed said above.

At the MO state shoot a while back I asked Ray Stafford how high his gun patterned. He told me his gun shot 32 inches high above his POA. I had time so I watched his moves (((intently))) on a lot of targets. I NEVER saw him raise his gun vertically much more than an inch, if that, for most of his shots! BTW, those were mostly smoked clays during which I think he broke a 98 that day?

My theory why this happens to most guys saying it happens is this. The gun is raised vertically and that vertical movement is stopped when the eye/bead makes the calculation that all is well? Stopping that upward movement creates an illusion he shot at that target. By the time the charge actually gets to the target, the bead is actually under said clay?

Would either of you two have a better explanation? If so, I'd really like to hear what it may be? Ray Stafford's high POI works so great because he uses a horizontal move much more so than a vertical one. There has to be a logical answer to this interesting ? Hap

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno Hap. Years ago when I shot with a Pull trigger I would come up to the bird and just slightly stop the gun's vertical climb and pull the trigger like two separate actions. Now with a Release trigger the two moves just blend into one and the gun just goes off usually with a smoked target. Some very good shooters still shoot with a much lower POI than many of the posts on this thread.

20. laura!

laura! Member

Is POI really that changeable? I think you should have the gun set up to shoot where you're looking. If you really want to raise the POI do it slowly!

Calvin - you're too funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.