1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

one-eyed shooter & high rib barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diva, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diva

Diva TS Member

I am curious of how many one-eyed shooters successfully shoot a gun with a high rib? I am much better with my low ribbed doubles barrel following the second target than using my high ribbed singles barrel on 16's and HC. Just a theory that maybe since I have one eye closed that the other eye might need to be closer to the barrel for optimum vision.

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Conventional wisdom says regular flat rib single barrel better for one eyes. Sounds logical.

3. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Go to a Nora Ross Clinic. The best one eye shooter ever.

4. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

im one eyed cant shoot high ribs at all tried high rib top single and unsingles cant shoot either one

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You called?? I shoot a T/A Max Kolar and am one-eyed. The key is to make sure you mount the gun properly IE: not canted. I still hold a low gun, but have adjusted where I look before calling for my target. I had a visit with Nora a month ago and she checked my gun fit and said it was good. She shot my gun and broke every target, even though the gun is set up for my fat face. My average is higher so far this year in every discipline than it was at the end of last year and we have most of the prime shooting season ahead of us here. I'm leaving for Jaqua's Flag City Shoot on Thursday and we shall see how we do. I wouldn't trade this Kolar for anything else. Bill Malcolm

6. biff

biff Active Member

Seems like it would depend on how long your neck is as to what rib you need. High ribs help long necked shooters keep their heads erect. Biff

7. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Diva, Are you going to Ft. Worth this weekend or Kansas? If Ft. Worth you need to try Audrey's gun. It is a low rib and I believe we can make it fit. We can tell from that if it's the rib or not. You can shoot a couple practice rounds and see what you think. Let me know.

Jimmy

8. Drusso

Drusso Member

I am a one eyed shooter. Previously shot a Ruger Red Label O/U, now I am shooting an SKB GC7 unsingle. My scores have gone up alot, the main reason is little recoil. I do enjoy shooting the high rib gun alot more.

9. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Diva, I am also a one eye shooter. I went from a BT-99 to a Cynergy trap combo recently with adjustable POI on the single barrel. I also had taken a class with Nora, just in May with the BT and she suggested things to do with that gun. Raise the comb, and harden up the recoil pad, so it did not give as much, and noticed I was canting the gun just a little. Well took the gun and got it fitted, my scores were improving, then I did the unthinkable, got a different gun. So first step, go back to have the gun fitted. If you have not done so, I strongly suggest it. The difference on the rib heights don't seem to bother me, and my scores are still going up. When I miss that bird I hear Nora's voice telling me turn into that gun more and then I tell myself to breath and I can normally hit the next bird, now if I can just get over my line jitters in competition now! But that is another thread in its own!

Good shooting!
    Deb

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Biff. The high rib compensates for a long neck. It is not directly related to one or two eyed shooting.

Pat Ireland

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I can crossfire with both eyes open but just occasionally and not all the time. I had the same thought that just maybe after 23 years the high rib on my TMX might make the tendency to crossfire even worse. I have a conventional rib single barrel for my MX-3 and it fits me and has the same POI as the TMX. So far my averages with the MX-3 are just about the same as the TMX. One thing I did notice was when I shot the TMX with the tape patch on my left lens, the sight picture looking down the rib was more definite than that vague see-through the high rib image I get with both eyes open. The problem is that so far I have not adapted to using the tape patch and my scores are better with both eyes open. After 23 years I can still hear Nora's voice when she said: "Y'all gotta look at the bird". That is the best advice I got from anyone.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

is it safe to say that all the top shooters do not crossfire- when they miss- what is their "reason"? i havent seen many, if any, use the dot or tape!?

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Diva...here's an answer to your question. What kind of gun does Nora shoot?

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Nora Ross closes her eye. Most top shooters shoot two eyes open. Bill Malcolm

Edit: link added above is a video of Nora. She is shooting a Perazzi, but I believe she is shooting her Silver Seitz now. BM

15. kjohnson

kjohnson Member

Diva,

I shoot a K-80 Trap Special unsingle. I love it. I have turned in some great scores and seems so much easier than my Perazzi MX 2000/10 Top Single. I shoot with a Magic Dot. I can see the target better with the high rib without the barrel in my view. I was intimidate with the unsingle at first, I was afraid of canting. As Bill and Deb mentioned- proper gun Fit is the key.

I have spoke to other K-80 owners because I thought of getting a top single barrel. They told me there is less recoil (as Drusso mentioned) with the unsingle, I don't know how much. Phil Kiner may be able to answer, he shoots a topsingle K-80 and has tried a unsingle barrel. I don't remember well enough to quote what his opinion was.

Biff and Pat Ireland is very accuate about a long neck- I have a long neck. I believe the rib hieght is the same on K-80 Unsingle/Top Singles barrels. So difference is the end of the barrel in your view or no barrel in your view.

I am not an expert, but this is my expirence between the top single and unsingle. Everyone is different.

Good Luck!!

Kathleen

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm a one eyed shooter..always shot 99 Pluses and Citori Pluses..which I consider a high rib gun...and hold levl over the house and just relax my eyefocus before calling for the target...done ok

17. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I am one eyed and shot a BT100 for quite some time, Now I have a 99 Plus, Citori Plus and a 99 MAX. I shoot them all pretty well. I hold below the roof line.

18. Diva

Diva TS Member

Thanks for all the feedback and great advice. After trying some things out, I found that the height of the rib is not my problem in missing targets. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but with time, I hope to figure it out!!!! What a frustrating game!

Thanks,
    Jerri

19. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Here is an image of Nora Ross shooting. Seems to be shooting a high rib (I hope the image shows).

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm a one-eyed shooter (tape over the off eye), currently shooting a Beretta 687 high rib 32" O/U & 34" unsingle combo. Shooting pretty well......

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high rib barrels for one eyed trap shooters

one eye shooter unsingle barrel

un single for one eyed shooter

what barrel for one eye shooter for trap