1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

one eye shooter help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I just found out that my left eye was taking over causing my scores to drop. Since i have shot all my life as a two eye shooter its going to be hard to adjustment using a dot or patch on my left eye. My hold points and ever thing else will also change. Any good pointers from you one eyed shooters that may help me adjust. thanks

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

get in trap & field magazine .order frank littles book & video on one eyed shooting or talk to phil ross or phil kiner.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Earl, I saved Phil Kiner's Trap & Field article and can send it to you in a private message if you want. Basically he says to do whatever it takes to overcome the problem. I can get by with the Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic front bead other shooters may need the patch.

4. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I am also a reformed one eyed shooter who's left eye would take over on a left angle target when I started shooting two eyes open. I immediately started using "vis-dots" to help train my brain with the left eye being open. Thankfully it didnt take that many shots to get it going. As for your holding points, that will come naturally. Like 24str8 said above, the dot will become invisible after the brain figures out what is going on while you are shooting. The key for me is to mount the gun like I am going to call for the target. I then close my right eye and place the dot over the part of my left lens that covers the bead. That hinders the left eye from seeing its own sight picture as you shoot, such as seeing two barrels as you come to the target. You may have to make adjustments to your dot, to keep your right eye sight picture true to any angle of the targets path. Once this is done, in my own experience, You should not have any trouble with the doubles portion of the sport. Take the time to get used to the dot over the lens, like I said it really doesnt take that long for the brain to catch up, and you will appriciate it later. There are alot of us out there who use this simple fix to improve scores.

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I tried for 2 years with dots and tape and my scores plummeted.If you shoot with 1 eye make sure whatever you put on your lense on your off eye keeps your off eye from seeing around it.About 2 months ago I just started closing my left eye and my scores jumped about 7 per hundred.When I shoot with one eye I hold below the edge of the traphouse and shoot aggressively.I am never going back to the dot.Just my experience.I am sure there are many other opinions out there.All I can say is with my off eye blocked there is no ? where the target is and my brain finds it faster.Hope you get it solved.

Darr

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

It should be obvious by now that the wrong-eye-dominant condition cones in a variety of degrees. I have developed the problem, especially with left-side targets. My problem must be minor in comparison to some others because I have been able to add 10 targets in a hundred by using a 7/16" dot made of an almost-transparent plastic that just blurs my vision through it to a degree. I can still see the color of the target but I can't see the gun barrel clearly enough to be confused by it. My dot is similar to a smear of Chap Stick in the right spot.

Bottom line is that you'll have to experiment with the techniques that have been presented to find what works for you.

Morgan

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

No it will NOT!!! I have installed over 30 plus dots for shooters in my career and worked with them to improve their shooting. I can assure you in 98% of the people I install a dot for their scores either remain the same or do go up. VERY RARELY do I ever see a score go down. Step 1 Get someone who knows how to install the dot....not might be as easy as plunking it on the lens in the center of your look. Step 2 put your gun on the roof of the house and do not put it above....EVER!!!! Step 3 enjoy your shooting and have fun.

GS

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The most frustrating part of having to start using a dot is that I am having to go back to the beginning in learning to point the gun again.

My leads are nowhere near the same (they're much shorter now) and I don't see about a third of my targets actually break because my follow through covers the break as it occurs; THAT'S frustrating!

Morgan

9. smsnyder

MIKETMX, please send those articles. Should be interesting reading, thanks earl

10. smsnyder

My left angles were killing my scores. I was about to give up the sport because i can't compete. A friend noticed that i was missing most of the left angle targets so we blocked out the left eye with tape. My Scores went from 17 18 back to 23/24 scores by blocking out the left eye. I allways thought god gave me two eyes to use that should work. Perhaps , i was wrong. I also went to one of those super high ribs on my Kolar to keep my head from lifting. One eye shooting going to be an adjustment. Thanks guys

11. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Is it normal to see a blurred vision when using the dot method. The dot does cure my double vision when looking down barrel but my vision is blurred. I have to assume that my left eye is still trying to look through the dot. Really difficult on the left targets and absolutely kills me when its overcast conditions. Has anyone been able to do something to overcome the blurred vision or is it something you just have to live with? Josh Andersen

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm a one eyed shooter, when I went for a gun fittin g last week in Ohio for my new Infinity, Dennis gave me a few hints---1) I'm a right handed shooter he said---basically shift hold points to the left & on stattion 5 shiof my foot position to an open position and look over the center of the house---it works I'm able to see the targets better and I don't have a hard swing to catch up with hard rights on station 5---Phil

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I have tried almost every way to stop cross firing dots blades tape light pipes etc. Now use flip-up clip on sun glasses from Wally world. Cut off right lens beyond the curve so it won't slip out to the left. I use a Dremel cut off wheel. Spray paint the left lens. Can flip it up out of the way when not shooting. Not original to me, saw it Mo state shoot several years ago. Come in several sizes. D Winter

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Earl, If you are interested in what Mr. Kiner has to say on one eyed shooting, so a search here under his sing on name and he has a very comprehensive post."

I remember it as being a rather long post but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I read every thread that came up under his sign-in name without success.

Morgan

15. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

24str8 and texshooter, thanks for the info. I have made an appt. with eye doc, and will try your exercise also 24str8. I really do appreciate the info I get from this site. Thanks to all. Josh Andersen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.