1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ONE EYE POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I am a one eye shooter and hold on the house. POI is about 70/30. What poi do you use under similar conditions?.......SMOKIT

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have found that 80/20 poi has worked the best for me. I used to hold a couple of feet above the house with a soft focus a few feet above that. Now I have found that holding on the top edge of the house on posts 2, 3 and 4 while holding 12 - 16 inches below the corners on 1 and 5 works better. I still have to adjust the hold up or down some according to the winds.

Just remember that what works for one may not for another

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Everyone is different, this is something you need to work out.

Pattern your gun first from a rest.

Best one eyed instructor that I know of is Nora Ross

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

SMOKIT...I'm a left eye dominant right hand one eyed shooter. I shoot about a 110 high POI. I just like it and feel comforatble with it. It's personal shooting preference. I took a Nota Ross clinic and she was fine with me shooting this heigth. Ya just gotts break em all.

blade819

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner's video addresses the one eyed shooter giving some very helpful information, I suggest you buy or borrow his video and view it several times, or take one of Phil's or Nora's shooting clinics.

I'm one eyed and hold just below the back of the trap house roof most times. Sometimes I hold lower or higher, but never higher than front lip of the house. These hold points work for me and may not be any good for you.

POI has to do with how you want to bring your shot together. Do you want to see a full target above your barrel when making the shot or partial target causing you to cover most or all of the target when making your shot. Your style of shooting will have an effect on what poi works best for you.

It's all about experimenting, you can speed up the process with the help of a good instructor.

Surfer

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

One eye or two, the faster you move the gun to the target the higher your POI can be set. Harlan Campbell had this one-eyed shooter adjust his gun to shoot about 10-12" high and then point at the target's 4, 6 or 8 o'clock with space between the barrel and the bird.

Keller

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Garry I'm sure Nora Ross has two eyes. Can't say I've seen many out there with just one eye. OH! You mean shooting with one eye.

On the POI thing everyone's is different. Most shooters that use one of their eyes for shooting tend to shoot lower POI's than those using two eyes to shoot.

Experiment untill you get the gun adjusted to crush the targets when your looking at them and you will have the correct POI for yourself.
    Joe

8. BIG B

BIG B Member

Is Nora Ross doing clinics this year?

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My POI is 13". Throughout several guns now it has remained the same. I can shoot a 15 or 16 incher and seem to do just fine but feel more comfortable with the stated one.

I never hold more than a foot above the lid. With some backgrounds and lighting conditions I may be half below the lid. Eye location in the distance changes with unusual conditions as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.