1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

One Eye or Two

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Do you shoot trap with one eye open or two?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Two eyes is harder to master but for most the advantages are worth the effort. Two eyed shooting gives you great peripheral vision and better depth perception. The trick to two eyed shooting is to keep your eyes on the target and not be distracted by the barrel in your sight picture.

Eric

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

One. I can break some skeet targets shooting two eyed, but it's a waste of lead for me to try to shoot trap with both eyes open.

~Michael

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I vary from one to two. I have no reason for this, it just happens. This happens whether I'm shooting trap, skeet, sporting.

I can tell you one thing though, my shooting is a bit sharper when shooting 2 eyed.

ec90t

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Eye, Eye said the drunken sailor. If you are able to shoot with 2 eyes open then do so; as for me I use 2 eyes in trapshooting, shooting pistols & rifles. Some people use a sight blinder to minimize the affect of the left eye if you shoot right handed but have a dominate left eye. However, there are some great one-eyed trapshooters. Use whichever works for you. Darrell

7. Art D

Art D Member

I just started shooting with two eyes with a dot on my left eye, due to the fact that I am Left Eye dominate. So far its working OK I do not see the Barrel as before or a sight picture. My eyes follow the target and the gun follows.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Two is preferable to one in almost all instances. Unless you are seriously handicapped you will probably shoot better with two.

Now I have a question. How many of you drive 1 eyed or throw a ball one eyed?

Any two eyed people playing tennis or golf one eyed?

Any more questions.

Joe

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I didn't know anybody shot with 1 eye only unless they had eye dominance problems. When you shoot one eyed do you aim it like a rifle? Maybe I will give it a try.

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Bruce.......I agree with Mixer. I shoot with both eyes open, and try to Focus on the leading edge of the Bird. The gun barrel naturally follows thru the with the trigger squeeze. bkt

12. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I used to shoot with one eye for years until I saw an article about how shooting with two eyes is better for depth perception and can actually help pick up a target quicker but I found sometimes my left eye took over so I shoot two eyes with a dot on the left lense now.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot with both eyes open but my left eye is blocked with tape. I have cross dominance.

Darrell- Do you really shoot a pistol with both eyes open? How can you focus on the front sight?

Pat Ireland

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Harry Bruhn told me a long time ago. "God gave you two eyes, use them".

It took me a while, but it was some of the best advice I ever had.

Hauxfan!

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Pat:

Since I'm right eye dominant, I got in the habit of shooting a pistol 50 years ago with both eyes open. It's a little more difficult to do this when my feet are pointed perpendicular to the target and I'm shooting with two hands. Now shooting with one hand, my toes are parallel to the target, it's much easier to favor the right eye. Most of my pistols have a white outlined or 2 dot rear sight. The front sight is easy to focus on if your right eye is aligned on the rear sight (even with both eyes open). Darrell

16. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Two and I could use three..............Roger

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife broke a 199 in the Singles Championship at the Southern Grand. She shoots one eye. I struggle to keep up with her sometimes with two eyes. Nora Ross is difficult to beat by anyone with at least two eyes. She also shoots one eye. Does anyone here believe it's a hard, fast rule that success can only be achieved by a shooter using two eyes? I beg to differ!!

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I could see how with trap it wouldn't make a difference. With pairs in sporting clays where your peripheral vision often has to pick up the second target it would be a bigger disadvantage. Sometimes I can't find the target with both eyes open.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Kind of a mixed up set of threads here. Whether you shoot one eyed or two eyed is kind of like Harry Potter's wand. "The wand chooses the wizard, Harry." or....................................................................................."Your eye dominance chooses how you shoot." And, like Mr. Ireland, his eye dominance (cross dominance or 'your eye dominance is opposite of your handedness) makes him block his dominant eye with a piece of tape. He picks up a little depth perception that way. If your eye dominance the same as your handedness you will be better shooting with both eyes open. If your eye dominance is opposite of your handedness you'll have to shoot the way Pat shoots or close one eye.

20. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have/had several friends that fit into the very good shooter if not great shooter role, all the trap shooters that they/we knew, kept telling them come out and shoot trap we'll all make money!

That only had one working eye!

It is more about what the person is comfortable with, that counts!

Me, I have the use of both eye's. In the year or there about's that I tried to use both eye's in shooting, I had times where I (was or) thought, I was losing my mind! Between the cross eye problems the left eye trying to over under around the dots all manor of aides, working so hard to see that I found myself seeing the black tape and only the blck tape with both eye's open and only ONE covered!

I will stick to what has worked for me for over forty years of shooting and that I comfortably know!

My only real problem with being the shooter I can be is finding the time and money to shoot often enough to be the, on demand shooter, that I show flashs of!

Give me the time and money, and this One eyed shooter will make believers out any and everyone!

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do people shoot with one eye or two
is it better to shoot trap with one eye or 2
one eye and two shooting technics
one eye or two for trap shooting
shooting trap with one eye open

shooting with one eye or two

trap shooting with one or two eyes open