1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

one eye=lower POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was told that if you are a one eyed shooter, your gun should have a lower POI than a two eyed shooter. Wondering whatbdo you one eyed shooters use for your POI, I'm currently finding that 70/30 is starting to work for me. Working my way out of a long slump.

Phil Berkowitz

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I started at 80/20 because that is the lowest my gun will shoot according to the factory testing. I have added 2 1/16" washers to the comb and put the rib in the middle spot. I do not know what the POI is with that setting because I haven't a chance to check but it crushes targets for me.

3. laura!

laura! Member

Your gun's POI should be where you are looking, regardless of how many eyes you use. Glad to here you're coming out of a slump. Slumps suck.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I shoot one eye (patch of tape over off lense)....FWIW I use a 60/40 POI

John C. Saubak

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I cannot understand how shooting with one eye or two eyes would require a different POI. I also must question the POI widely posted by other shooters. Patterns have a random distribution of shot, but POI always seem to be in nice whole numbers divisible by 10. Do you know any shooter who has a gun that shoots a 67/33 pattern? Few shooters bother to count the number of shot in a shell but they know that 70% of this unknown number are above where they aim.

Pat Ireland

7. ABH

ABH Member

I am a one eyed trap shooter.I can shoot my rifles or bow with one or two eyes open.The results are exactly the same.POI does not change for me.If shooting fast moving targets,I must close one eye for best results.Why is a mystery to me.

ART H.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

One-eyed shooters must use a lower point of hold than 2 eyed shooters relative to the trap house and the emerging target.

Their gun must be adjusted for a point of impact high enough for them to break the target without obscuring any part of it with the barrel in the process.

Otherwise, point of impact doesn't need to be no higher than that used by 2-eyed shooters.

MK

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Remember, the POI is where the gun shoots, not where you shoot the gun. The POI is best tested from a rest at a target 13 yards away. The rest is more important than the target distance. On the line, the same gun may shoot very low for one shooter and very high for another shooter.

Pat Ireland

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

____I shoot one eye--POI=approx 80/20. I think POI has little to do with whether you shoot one eye or two eye--Has more to do with how close to the house you normally break the bird. If you shoot quick you need a high POI if you tend to ride the bird and shoot further out you need a lower POI......SMOKIT

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Phil at work Saturday at the Rockingham Gun Club - Reidsville NC..

FRedmon

12. max trap

max trap Member

I would get Dennis DeVaults thoughts on this Phil. He spent much time on this very topic with me.

13. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

This is the same Phil that shot well enough last year to make the Mens vetern State team. All that was done with a higher POI. I give up.

Dennis

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Dennis-if you notice I'm shooting my old Beretta conversion,which I got back about 6 weeks ago. It was way to high for me. My Infinity is just too heavy for me, until I build up my strength. By the the way the O/U with the bondo stock is shooting & pointing fine for me. See you at the Cardinal Classic & I'll hand the O/U to you for final finishing. I starting to shoot better again. Got into two shoot-offs @ my state shoot-but pooped out.

Phil

15. carv

carv Member

I shoot one eyed and I hold a high gun for singles as instructed to do by Harlan. My gun shoots 18” high at about 15 yards, I would guess that’s about 100% or better. Since taking Harlan’s class and changing to a high hold I broke my first 100 straight in singles, hold a solid A class and moved back to the 25 yard line. As a one eyed shooter I no longer believe we must hold a low, on the house gun. I hold where I see a clear and whole target. Works for me.

16. wlc

wlc Member

carv,
    Frank Hoppe also says that a one eye shooter can hold above the trap house. I tried this with limited success. How are you able to consistantly pick up a left hand target from station one using only your right eye? I had a problem with these targets sneaking out under my gun when visibility wasn't good.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter.. When I started my shooting.. I was a dead 50/50... As more and more targets got shot.. and my style developed..my swing.. and speed also developed.. to 60/40.. then 70/30.. and in the end 80/20..

As my POI went up.. my hold point went down.. promoting a better view of the target.. and a fast.. controlled swing to the target.. From this faster swing comes a need for a higher POI.. as you don't want to slow down when you get TO the target..but pull/or release the trigger as you are pulling THRU the target..

Where you are on this journey will dictate to you..where you need to be..in both hold point.. and POI.. This is a very personal thing.. as every shooter is different..BUT.. I will say.. Holding on the front edge of the house.. or a little below..is a good starting point..

Alot of this is a function of your gun weight,your upper body strength,your foot position..AND.. YOUR shooting style.. All Good.. Mike

18. windyflat

windyflat Member

Carv....
    How high do you hold on 1&5? Inside the house or off the house?
    Thanks.... Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.