1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ONE BAD ROUND HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trappug, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappug

trappug TS Member

I cant seem to get past that one bad round.I'm a D shooter and for some reason I cant get past that one bad round.Let me explain.I would hope to at least shoot 90,91,92,93 targets,which I do about every third match I go to,but weather I shoot handicap or singles I always get that one bad round.I will shoot 24,22,18,then23.Or like today 19,23,22,23.I have even shot 25,23,17,24.How does this happen.Now you get the idea.I really do enjoy the sport,but cant seem to reach my goal of never shooting below 90 targets.If by chance I do get past that one round I seem to make that goal.I have been stuck in D for a while now.Every now and then I pop up to C then back down again,and I dosent help when out of the blue a? D shooter blows me out of the water with a95,96,etc.This is real funny thing to I have better averages in pita than ata,Whats up with that.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your problem is mental. Try some mental preparation before you shoot the targets. When you take your position on each post mentally picture shooting and breaking a left hand target, a straight away target, and a right hand target. This will prepare your mind for the task. HMB

3. Janet

Janet TS Member

I totally agree. When I first started shooting, I did the same thing and got so used to it, I expected it and caused me lots of problems until I got my mental attitude adjusted to expect to break the birds and problem disappeared.

Hang in there and keep shooting, look for the bird, shoot the bird and don't THINK.

4. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

Go back to basics. Lock trap on straight away. Go to post 3. Shoot until you are crushing targest. Then move to 2, repeat. Go to 4, Repeat. Go to 1 Repeat. 5 Repeat. Go back to oscillation trap. Shoot full box at EACH station before moving. You should be getting very solid breaks by now. After all of that it is still MENTAL. Work on a preshot routine. You MUST have a repeatable routine. Concentrate for that 5-8 seconds. What are you doing with your eyes? What are your hold points. One eye or two eye? Soft focus at a point a short distance in front of the house. Make sure that you are not moving the gun barrel before you see the target. Some times easy to say, but hard to do. Work hard and good luck.

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

trappug, The solution may be this simple - you may subconsciously be raising your head to see if the target breaks - happens to all of us. You shoot pretty well but have these puzzling slumps in a round or two. You get geared up to shoot...any round, 1st to last...you drop a bird, then you unconsciously begin to raise your head (ever so slightly) to make sure the next bird broke. Pretty soon you have missed enough - and keep looking up - to make a lousy round (or more). Later, you go back to the good basics you know and keep your head down (unconsciously) and wonder what happened to cause the bad round(s). Concentrate - mightly - on staying in the gun and keeping your head down. Best Regards, Ed

6. trappug

trappug TS Member

Thanks for the help,Im starting to get a little discouraged,but I beleive,I can shoot better.Tomorrow Im going back to the same shoot that I was at today to get this days shooting out of my head to try to finish on a better score.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

trappug- The good news is that it is better to have three good rounds and one bad round than have four mediocre rounds. The bad news is, that with even very good shooters, the one bad round or one bad post problem pops up now and then.

I was struck by the fact that you listed your low score in the third round. This seems to be a general pattern for many shooters. I have several times had a good score for the first 50 targets. My confidence is high and I believe that I have the game figured out. Then, up jumps the devil. On the 4th round I am disgusted with myself and I return to working hard. My misses do seem to come in clusters. Last week I shot a 96 and I missed the four targets on two consecutive posts. Then in doubles at the same shoot, I broke 48 in the first 50 (good for me). On the second 50, I shot a 7 on one post followed by a 7 on the next post. My score went down to 92. I still feel the pain seven days later.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It is the analoptic nerve taking over!

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Once again Pat nailed it. Its really hard for me to keep the concentration required to do well over 100 targets

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Concentrating on the one called out is better than thinking in terms of 25s,50s, 100 straights or looking for and expecting a "bad" round? Hap

11. trappug

trappug TS Member

Well I shot today seems to be a similer problem,I took some time to clean the gun real good,relax before shooting,tried to come out with confidence and concentrait.Started with a 23,then 20,20,23.Just couldent get that 90 I was looking for.This time I had 2 bad rounds.There was a time not long ago I dont think I ever shot below a 22.

12. trappug

trappug TS Member

Something else I dont seem to miss on station 1 or 5,Only in the middle

13. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

take one target at a time until the shoot is over.

14. eperry

eperry Member

When you start missing those targets in the "bad" round, do not panic. Don't think here I go again. When you miss, go back to basics, think positive thoughts, not " I better not miss this one" think, "I will hit this target well" One target, one target only. Obviously you can do it, because you have had good rounds after the bad round.

15. trappug

trappug TS Member

I went out to shoot today and got a few tips from a person who seems to always be at the club that I have never spoke to before.He overheard me talking about my issue.He also asked me just a few question about how long I've been shooting and what.Being a former feild and skeet shooter he made me realise alot of what I was doing wrong.I seem to be a pretty quick shooter and I like to cover the birds.He made me think that I was probably not shooting my natural point of impact I'm used to.So we lowered the comb 1/8,and set up my gun to shoot 50/50.Then he told me to draw an imaginary line from the trap house to the target,follow it,and when I get to it pull the trigger.I cant beleive it I smashed 24 out of 25(First try).The one I missed was the first one.I went on to shoot 23/22 etc.Sometimes it pays to talk to someone you never spoke to before.I've found that some people will help not laugh.What do you think of this advice?

16. trappug

trappug TS Member

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Coffee can be a problem for me in morning events.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.