1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Once fired smooth GM hulls coming apart!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by perga1, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Using all Federal components and American Select I get hull separation every so often after about 6 reloads. I now toss them after the second reload. The ribbed cases just keep on going. JRM

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've had several GM hulls come apart when loaded to normal (8~9 psi) pressures. Don't know what's up with them, but I only reload them once now.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Are you resizing the hulls?
    If I remember right with a MEC 650 you must resize the hulls individually before you start reloading.

How many time have the hulls been reloaded?

19 grs of Clays, 1 1/8 oz of shot, Fed 209A and Fed 12S3 wad is the fastest load listed. The listed pressure is only 10,400 psi. However if you crimp depth is very deep pressure will be higher.

Being that others have been having the same problem seems like a quality control problem by Federal.

Jason

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I tried Federal ammo for about 18 months two years ago. I had the same problem with the smooth hulls but the ribbed ones delivered good life.

Ed

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

The new "smoothies" are junk I had 4 of the first 100 I shot come apart and those were factory loads. Those were the last federal gold metal plastics I ever shot but I do love those papers. As said above the old "ribbies" keep going and going and going. Shot a few tonite that had 1992 grand american printed on them not sure how many times they've been threw the press but they're still going strong

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Federal has a huge problem but appear reluctant to admit it.

I know of two guys who are trying to get about 50 cases of ammo replaced after experiencing a number of failures. One man will NOT shoot Federal shells or components again and is converting to STS shells and components.

This looks like a bigger problem that the alleged AA base wad issue. If shooting a semi-auto without a shell catcher, you will not know the case has separated. The part that is stuck in the barrel (one guy had it lodged near the choke tube so the next shell will feed) could make the next shot interesting.

Don

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

To borrow a phrase from Leonard Nimoy... "I find this occurance fascinating" We have seen countless posts regarding the AA base wad phenemenon. Why in the heck has there been no information regarding this until now if so many of you have piped in with "Hey, that happened to me too!"?? If it true, this is also a huge sfety concern and just giving your fellow shootter a heads up would have been nice. Thanks Bill for sharing this info. You may have saved someone's gun, eyes, hands or life.

Jeff

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I've had problems with the ribbed hulls breaking halfway down before. Wasn't really that big of a deal though as the top half would just fly out the barrel. But I have since quit using Federals and now only reload Gun Club hulls with no problems yet.

Oh and Bill, we got our shotmaker set up and are making shot, we were messing around the other night and shot off the 27 and I out shot everyone with a 21 using my homemade shot LOL! Josh.

9. AveragEd

I use all Federal 209As and have never had a dud with my trap guns or my inline muzzleloader. But I much prefer STS ammo and hulls over Gold Metal.

Ed

10. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Bill, Try backing off your wad pressure on your MEC.
    An old back fencer once told me "to use 0# wad pressure, too much pressure causes the powder to go off like tnt" (His opinion) so i`ve since set my Mec`s 650, grabber, & 9000g too just move the wad press.scale,to properly seat the wad (works for me),(that was 18yrs. ago i haven`t looked back) I also use the GM & STS hull,1oz load w209 primer,claybuster wad. 33 bushing good luck MARK

11. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I had the same problem with the smooth hulls. Finally loaded them all up and dumped them on the ground. Luckily, I have several thousand of the older ribbed hulls and they just go on and on. I refuse to buy any more GM shells till they get rid of that junk. What was wrong with the ribbed hulls anyway?
    Nubs Wagner.

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I will stick with the AA hulls from the sounds of this.

13. crew

crew TS Member

Ive been shooting them a lot lately and just load them 4 times without problems using fed. wads with just enough pressure to see the spring move a little ,I use green Dot 19.5 or 20 grains. The smooth hulls. Ive had them come apart in the middle but they were used more and was at a registered shoot not long ago with a guy next to me with one stuck in his barrel he claimed it had been loaded only twice but looking at his shells they were loaded a lot more. I wouldn't buy them to reload but I like to shoot them when new at H.C. the 2.75 dram loads. W

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are these hulls coming apart only with reloads? Or even with new ammo?

15. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I just went out to the garage and cut one of my plastic Gold Medal hulls completely apart. It's a one piece hull. I bought them new this year.

16. AveragEd

Look Piddy,

If dirty chambers, high pressure reloads and excessive headspace are what causes these smooth plastic Federal hulls to fail, why aren't STS and AA hulls failing in those same guns? I've had one of many thousand STS hulls fail - the crimp came off during the first firing of the factory load on a Nitro 27 shell of early manufacture - but numerous smooth Gold Metals flat came apart and all that my gun's ejector deposited in my hand was the brass head and about a half-inch of plastic. And that was "numerous" out of just four flats! Not one ribbed hull - and I went through 12 flats of them - did that.

Sorry, but when I went back to Remington ammo, I stopped having the problem.

Ed

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I only load 24 gram Bunker loads in Gold Medal hulls. The very few 1200 foot 1 1/8 ouncers I DO load are in Remmy hulls. I use them on the back yard.

I like the 24 and 28 gram loads. I mainly loaded the above mentioned 1 1/8 ouncers because I had been given a case of wads that would work with the Remmy hull and the heavy shot load.

I am not overly impressed with the breaks the 32 gram loads give. My 1250 foot one ouncers will give the same quality of breaks. I have a 40 point Angleport choke in my Unsingle Browning.

At the 16 and for Dubs, my 1350 foot 24 gram Bunker loads give dynamic breaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.