1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On TV Tonight 3/24..........Guns in America.......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just a FYI, it appears that on National Geographic TV tonight they are running a show on guns in America. Looks to have pro-gun side to it. Commercial was very short but, it appears to have that angle to it. I'll be watching. 10 pm eastern.

Just throwing it out there.

Spank

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks Spank. I'll be there

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Explorer : "Guns in America"

We are the most heavily armed society in the world; nearly 80 million Americans own guns. Explore the gun culture in America, from a police officer to a young mother.

4. jfg1

jfg1 TS Member

DIRECTV channel 276.

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

dish network,,,9429 high def,,,,

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Missed it !!! Was it any good ??

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I viewed the video sample on the website, and it was a little queasy, talking about how easy it was to obtain guns in some states (Texas for example) but what I saw seemed otherwise not biased.

Would like to know how the rest of it went.

HM

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I heard a lot of "misinformation" and negative opinion.

Police officer who stated, "...unfortunately, everybody has a right to own a gun..."

I thought that was a little slanted.

"If you have guns in the house you are 22 times more likley to be shot by your own gun."

Wonder where they got that statistic, or this one:

"Of the some 28,000 firearms deaths in the US last year, over half of them were self-inflicted" (can't remember the exact wording they used.)

"Last year, on average, a child was killed by an accidental firearm discharge every other day."

Well, on that one, it kind of depends on at what age you make the cutoff for "child" and whether you include suicide as an accident, and a bunch of other factors, which they didn't elaborate on.

Also, in perspective, of the top "accidental causes of death" for children, guns are fairly low on the list. Auto accidents, drowning, house fires, and poisoning are the top 4.

They got in a lot of "jabs" about "assault weapons" too. Choosing to use the media's definition of an assault weapon.

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I watched the full hour. From what i saw if the anti gun group wants to curb gun crimes they should go after the gang bangers and drug dealers and leave the honest gun owner alone. But I think we all know that anyway.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It seemed to have an anti gun statement overall!

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Thank God I live in Texas. I got my concealed weapons permit in 3 days and can buy a gun anytime I want to! If you see an old man like me with a
    "fanny pak" you can be assured he is packin'. Kinda' puts some fear into those
    that are out there thinking they can raise hell and get away with it!!

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If it is about guns on television and not on the outdoor channel it is antigun. America didn't fall this far without the left brainwashing the idiot masses every night on television with lies and half truths.

13. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I watched it and thought it was, over all, anti-gun oriented. The quotes posted by timb99 are accurate and pretty much typical of all that was said. "whiz-bang's" observation are representattive of my take on the program as well, but then, I'm just a typical fat, complacent, paranoid middle-aged white guy,"clinging to my religion and my guns" (to quote el Presidente) so what do I know about hip hop urban "culture", anyway? The NAACP will probably file a protest due to the negative stereotype of gang-bangers protrayed on this show. What did everyone think of the guy who shot the two burglars coming out of his neighbors house after being told by the police dispatcher to leave them alone. The reenactment of that scene led the moderator off into a critique of the "castle doctrine" which basically states: ---"enter my house (in that case yard) with evil intent and, if I believe I am endangered, I have carte blanche to shoot you dead!" WELL YEAH, WHY NOT?

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's what I sent them on their "Contact Us" webpage.

As a gun owner and a 2nd Amendment proponent, I have a few issues with your Explorer : "Guns in America" program which aired Tuesday, 24 March 2009.

I heard a lot of "misinformation" and negative opinion.

Police officer who stated, "...unfortunately, everybody has a right to own a gun..." I thought that was a little slanted. This officer is sworn to "serve and protect." How can he protect me if he can't even protect himself. Law-abiding citizens must retain the right to protect themselves. The police can't be everywhere at all times, and as can be seen, criminals can get the means to commit their crimes regardless of onerous gun laws. By definition, criminals don't follow the law, so gun bans are worthless as a violent crime prevention strategy.

"If you have guns in the house you are 22 times more likely to be shot by your own gun."

Wow. Wonder where you got that statistic. There was a study done in the early 80's but the results have been found to be extremely flawed. Cite your source.

"Of the some 28,000 firearms deaths in the US last year, over half of them were self-inflicted" (can't remember the exact wording used.)

Again, where did you get this statistic? Cite your source.

"Last year, on average, a child was killed by an accidental firearm discharge every other day."

This is sensationalism. And again. Cite your source, and give details about the definition of a "child." This kind of depends on at what age you make the cutoff for "child" and whether you include suicide as an accident, and drug related shootings among friends and family members, and a bunch of other factors, which you didn't elaborate on.

Also, to put this in perspective, of the top "accidental causes of death" among children, guns are fairly low on the list. Auto accidents, drowning, house fires, and poisoning are the top 4.

The best way of keeping a child from dying in a car accident is to never let them in a car. Car accidents kill more children than any other accidental cause, by far.

"Assault weapons?" You made the leading statement, "these guns can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger." So what? So can my daughter's semi-automatic plinking rifle and her 12 gauge semi-automatic trap shooting shotgun. What's the point, other than sensationalism? And the cartridges used in these weapons are no more powerful than your average deer hunting rifle, indeed, they are far less powerful.

You also chose to use the media's definition of an assault weapon. The military's definition of assault weapon is quite different. The term "assault weapon" is a misnomer and was defined based on insignificant cosmetic features in the 1994 AWB (assault weapons ban.) With a few minor changes, practically any model of firearm legal before the ban was still legal afterward.

And the 1994 AWB banned very few actual firearms.

What it did ban were firearms with certain features, like a flash arrestor, a lug for a bayonet, a foldable stock, and a high capacity magazine (more than 10 rounds.)

Guns that citizens already had with those features were not banned, only the sale of new guns with those features.

The same gun was still available for purchase, just without those features.

The guns the ban affected were SEMI-AUTOMATIC firearms. It did NOT ban any fully automatic machine guns. Those have been severely restricted since the late 30's, but were still able to be purchased and owned by bearers of a Class 3 license, before, during, and after the ban. This is still the case.

So the AWB was the equivalent of banning red corvettes with rear spoilers because they look fast, while still being able to buy that exact same car in yellow, and without the little spoiler on the back.

Here's another tidbit:

There is absolutely no evidence linking the 1994 AWB to any reduction in violent crime. None, nix, nada, zero.

There is ALSO absolutely no evidence that the sunset of the 1994 AWB led to any INCREASE in violent crime. None, nix, nada, zero.

It was stupid, feel good, nonsense, meaningless legislation that congress people who voted for it could take to their constituents and say, "see, I'm working for you," when in reality, they were working against your freedom.

Next time, do a better job of reporting the facts.

Like, for example, how often guns are used by private citizens to thwart crime. Though harder to come by, and not nearly as sensational as crime facts, you may be surprised to find that they're used to prevent crime more often than to commit crime.

Guns are an amoral mechanical device. They are neither good nor evil. They only are capable of doing what they are directed to do by a user.

Sincerely,

Timothy J. Bruggeman

Shawnee, Kansas

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Great job Tim. I hope that they get the message, but I doubt it.

You're letter got me thinking. With all of the money that the NRA gets from us every day, month, and year, doesn't it seem like they could come up with the funds to do a prime time, major network documentary showing our side of the issue? I'm aware of the NRA tv show, however I have to believe that hardly anyone sees this besides we the members.

BTW, I watched the show also. It was way skewed towards making guns ugly.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A few nights ago Wayne LaPierre was on Glenn Beck's show (widely watched, ratings through the roof) commenting on the Mexican gun Biz.

He made the point that most of the guns the drug boyz were using were coming from banana republics, and illicit manufacturers overseas.

He also said that we do not sell grnades, rocket launchers, and machine guns to our population.

I'm really pissed about how the media is continually pumping the false precept of guns going to Mexico from the USA.

I have a feeling it's a warmup to kill gun shows and pave the way for more restrictions.

HM

17. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Guns in America on National Geographic will air again Saturday 28 March at 7:00PM eastern on the National Geographic channel.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.