1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Road a lot? a question for you.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Every since relocating to Fort Wayne for work I have been spending a lot of time behind the wheel. 10hr trips home, 1 to 3 hr trips to shoots ect. A lot of these trips are taken with just a little sleep (working 3rd shift). What is a good energy food or drink to help keep someone focused while driving? I rarely drink coffee and am taking medication for high blood pressure. I know someone will say beer and chips but I am serious. I will be heading back home on Friday after work and a 3hr nap. Nodding off during a 615 mile trip is not good.

Rich (trying to get there in one piece) in Indiana

2. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Doggai

What you say is true. That's why I always get some sleep before attempting the trip home. I do this once a month not every week. I have canceled some trips to shoots just because I was to tired to risk it.

Rich in Indiana

3. james25889

james25889 Member

5 hr energy i swear it works for me

4. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Take a nap before you leave, or during your trip. As an over the road truck driver for 27 years and 3.5 million miles I would recognize the signs of fatique and stop. As doggai mentioned you will lucky if you only kill yourself. I have witnessed accidents to numerous to count,( some fatal some not fatal) in my driving career, most of which were a result of a fatiqued driver . When a vehicle, no matter what size, leaves the interstate at highway speed diasaterous results occur EVERY time. When you get off work take a 2-3 hour nap before heading out on your trip no matter where it is going, if you don't have time for a nap don't go. Rethink your priorities, Life and health should rank at the top, if not please let me know what highways you drive and what times you will be on them so I can avoid those areas...Larry Lockhart

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Just keep thinking how you and John Boy kicked Brandon's and my butt at the 23 yard protection today.......Then have some strong ice tea. Drive safe.

Wayne

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A 21 year old girfriend, let her drive.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You need to consider, you are taking other peoples lives and gambling with them. Always remember that someone like you, could kill half of your family.

Don't sugar coat it, if you are not in condition to drive , you should stop.

What does it say on your bottle of blood pressure meds? Truck drivers are not allowed to drive while taking them, why should you.

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,Rich,Not the same but I have a cabin in W.V. that takes 6 hrs to get to.However it seems when I was younger 12hr drives were simple,but now,NO way.My max. if traveling is 8 hrs.I know that's 2hrs shorter than you have to travel.On my ventures to W.V. at my age I find that about 2 -3 hrs then stop and stretch,get some fresh air,3 hrs max.Usually get something to drink,yeah I drink coffee,but a chocolate bar seems to give me a boost now and then.In an 8hr bass tourney,, I find Propel and drinks of that nature also keep me going.But,the most help are those small breaks,just to get out of the car,check out the scenery and refresh myself seems to do the best.Don't envy your situation,I know right before I retired,I was considering a transfer similiar to you,lucky for me,our plant lasted just long enough for me to retire.Take care,look forward to seing you at the club.

Doug H.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I agree with James. I like the 5 hour, little caffeine, mostly B vitamins. Best thing though is a rest of about an hour in a rest area or somewhere well lit. Amazing what a little shut eye will do. Stay away from carbs; sharp drop after a little while.

10. larryjk

larryjk Member

Don't eat behind the wheel. It will make you drowsy. If your eyelids are getting heavy, don't fight them. Pull off the highway in a location where someone won't rearend you and take a nap. You will wake up when you are refreshed and won't have the drowsy problem. Walk around in the fresh air and get your pulse rate up a little. Chew a 3stick wad of gum and do try Mountain Dew because of the caffine. Dont drive when drowsy.
    My friend, a deputy sheriff, was hit on July 5th. Broken neck, two more back fractures, three broken ribs, three breaks in the left hip, and a crushed left hand. He has some feeling back in his arms and legs but will be in rehab for a long time. He is very lucky to be alive. How did it happen? The guy dozed and came over the center line into his lane.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rich, I drove an average of 250 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year in my job. I don't tolerate caffeine well so my doc said that eating a fresh apple will do as much to wake you up as a cup of coffee. I still do it and it still works. Good luck

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From my experience you need to<ul><LI>get yourself in good physical condition...shed extra weight and improve cardio fitness<LI>avoid sugars and simple carbs while trying to stay alert and snack on raw fruits and vegetables instead</UL>

MK

13. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

how about flying home instead of driving.more home time that way. only once a monrh trip home would be worth the financial investment wouldn,t it? i am similar to larry lockhart i have 30 years & close to 4 million miles under my belt driving over the road.i have seen my fair share of accidents.some i have witnessed have stuck with me for a very long time..nothing beats drowsiness like sleep. & 221 i have taken blood pressure meds for 20 years. there is no law anywhere that states you can not drive a truck when you are on blood pressure meds. you can drive while taking oral meds for diabetes as long as it is kept under control. but under no circumstances can you legally drive a truck if you are on the needle for diabetes..dwain

14. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Thanks for the input. As far as driving on my blood pressure medication, there is no restriction with this medication. I operate heavy equipment and drive with no problem. I don't feel that I have ever driven in an unsafe condition. I don't drink alcohol, smoke or do illegal drugs. Driving a plow truck for 40hrs straight may have been pushing the limit but that was in my younger years. I was simply looking for some ideas on energy foods or drinks that would not affect my blood pressure and help maintain focus while driving and shooting.

Rich (trying to stay safe) in Indiana

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"Energy" drinks are a misnomer; most contain either sugar, caffeine or guarana (hyper-caffeine) or a combination of some or all. They produce a short high and a long low. Physical conditioning allows for better sleep and more endurance than anything else.

MK

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Red Bull. The stuff will keep you awake. Sip it rather than drink it all at once.

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I don't fight it any more. I pay attention to how drowsy I feel an hour after a meal and just before dawn, but I'll grab a nap in the middle of the afternoon if it seems necessary. I'd rather arrive an hour or two late than wake up in a hospital. It ain't worth the risk.

If I get sleepy, I pull off at the next rest area and take a power nap if it's well lit and feels safe to do it. I wake up an hour later, and walk if off a bit before I start driving again. If I really crash, and it's three hours later, I figure I needed the sleep. I don't put much store in coffee, magic potions, energy drinks, or loud music. If you're tired, you need sleep.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rest is the best help. Other than that, fresh air, no smoking, talk radio, eat light and stay away from heavy carbs. Frequent stops to stretch your legs, and ABOVE ALL, stop driving if you are too tired to pay attention to the road. If you feel sleepy or you are having trouble keeping your eyes open, get off the road and eiher take a nap or walk around a little and wake up. The second time you pull over, it's time for sleep. A few hours sleeping in a no-tell motel could save your life. There is no schedule that is worth your life.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Your enemy is food that breaks down dirty.. NO Sugar.. no fried foods.. Fresh fruit or veggies.. Coffee is fine.. but NO sugar with it.. no soft drinks.. water is fine.. No bread or donuts..both break down poorly.. and make or have lots of sugar.. grilled fish is great..as is chicken.. The fat in red meat does not help you when you're trying to stay up and awake.. That means no Burger King..Mc Donalds etc.. The salads there are fine.. and the few crutons will not hurt you.. Basically.. the same diet a good shooter would have before a big shoot.. Oh.. eggs are good too.. If you must dunk the yoke.. whole wheat bread only.. Your B group of vitimins are good..and especially B-12.. Niacin helps you deliver more O2 to your brain.. as its a vaso dialator..
    Be VERY careful of your "bad" hour.. Mine is 1 hour before sunrise.. Know when to pull over..and just plain stop and rest.. sleep if possible..
    i use to drive the truck for our store and logged many a mile..Trouble comes quickly on a highway..speed kills.. and sleep is your BEST friend.. Happy travels..and safe ones.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.