1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On the fence!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff BT-99, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

I've been a one eyed shooter my entire life and shot trap for 2 years then quite for about 6 and have shot the last 2 years. I have a AA average and I'm considering changing to two eyes. At what point will I know its either a go or no? Will I need to shoot 500 to give it an honest try or more? It just seems that I don't have the precision or know where I miss with two eyes. I've officially shot 150 targets with two eyes so it's still very new. Seemed when I did miss that I was looking back at my white beads. I solved the bead problem by using a black sharpie on the beads.

Thanks in advance!

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's going to take a while to get used to two eyed shooting, it was about 6 months for me. Expect your scores to fall during that time until you teach yourself not to keep bead checking. As to where your misses are, try and get someone to stand near you so they can tell you. You know what to do, it's just a matter of unlearning an old habit.

Eric

3. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Will I truly benefit from shooting two eyes? I guess that's what I'm going to have to find out....

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I believe you will. Two eyes gives you a wider field of vision and depth perception. Since we do almost everthing with both eyes open it's the more natural way. It's almost a given that eventually your scores will be higher with two eyes than they were with one. YMMV.

Eric

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I started using two eyes about a week after I started shooting trap, for me it was a very easy transition. I used my clay target thrower at home and practiced it every day on that and twice a week shooting real trap, within just a few weeks, shooting with two eyes felt very natural to me. I feel that switching to two eyes this early has helped me progress faster in this sport. I feel that everyone, no matter how good they are, would do better with two eyes.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Changing from one eye to shooting with both can accomplished if there's no opposite eye dominance problems. One eye shooters that push or pull the barrel have the most difficult time making the switch. It's not an eye problem, it's a upper body control problem. Keep the gun and upper body moving as a single unit to overtake the target and it comes to you quicker. All the advantages of using both eyes are posted above. Hap

7. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to give it an honest try!

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

With any luck and a lot of practice you won't be ON the fence you'll be back at the fence. Good luck.

Eric

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are advantages of shooting with both eyes open, but there are also some disadvantages. Many shooters that are right handed and have a dominate right eye will still occasionally cross fire on left handed targets. I know of at least two of the perennial All American shooters who have this occasional problem.

Pat Ireland

10. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Kay and Phil?

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Handi Cap, I thought you shot with both eyes---(CLOSED) LOL Do it--two eyes are better than one. Steve

12. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

AA, Tell ya what when I miss with two eyes I sware they were both closed. I've seen that one-eyed sight picture so much it's engraved in my head. Guess it's time to relearn.

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

You know I was just giving you a bad time. I know it's going to be a change and take some time, but just trust it and it will come around. Betting on it.--Steve.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Handi Cap- Those are the two I was thinking about. I do not know Harlin.

Shooting, at least partially shooting, with your eyes closed can be very helpful. When a new shooter is shooting too fast because he thinks he has limited time I have him mount his gun and call for the bird with both eyes closed. Then open his eyes after the bird is in the air. It surprises most that this will not cause you to miss birds. Everyone should try it, they will be very surprised.

Pat Ireland

15. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

AA, I know you were razzin. Be paitent cause your going to be my mentor through this! :)

Pat, Thanks for all your advice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.