1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? ON STOCK DAMAGE REPAIR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

I have an old Winch TM1 Special I just bought. Very nice except it was dropped I think in gravel. Stock has some deep gouges as does the forearm.
    They are t0o deep and wide for the wet cloth- hot iron trick..............
    I tried the ink type pen in dark walnut--the "whiteness" is gone but the scars are still very evident. I then went and got one of those "waxy" type pens colored in dark walnut and tried that--it filled the hole just perfect...after waiting about an hour I tried wiping off the excess--out came the stuff out of the hole. So I tried melting some and dripped it in each hole and allowed it to cool-------same result.
    I do not want to refinish and if I try to sand those gouges out I will have a pit akin to the crater hole in Arizona! Anyone got any ideas or cures or solutions???
    Thanks for any help.
    Bill

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

No matter how you make the repair, I think you'll have to refinish it. I'd use a dremmel tool to harvest some wood dust from the bolt hole, mix it with acra-glass, and fill the gauges. After dry, sand and refinish.

Ed Yanchok

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

ED- For me, epoxy/sand dust from the stock always turns out too dark to match. Is there any way to match the color?-Jerald

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Send it to Dr. Longshot. He'll put it out of its misery. LOL

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you can find a furniture repair shop, They used to use stick shellac with a coloring in it that they could melt into the gouge. They would put it on with a soldering tyype iron and would use a french pad to buff it out with. Find someone that is capable of repairing cigarette burns in fine furniture (old school type) that would be your best bet.

Bob

6. turmite

turmite Member

I don't mean to be rude, but the first thing you did wrong was to try to fix it before asking advice. Very likely that "wax" stuff you put on and in the indentions, is gonna come back to bite you. How deep are the indentions, how wide, and did the finish break exposing raw wood? The answer to these questions will help with the proper method of repair.

I have repaired finishes on gunstocks, furniture and 1 $70,000 Boesendorfer Grand Piano. That was the new price back in 86. I can tell you it is easier to repair the finish on one of those than it is on a gunstock. It's hard to pick one of those pianos up and turn it in all directions to inspect the repair!!lol

Mike

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bondo baby....don't be a weenie...hahaha!

Curt

8. WWB

WWB Member

Hi Texas zephyr: Yes I have heard of that stick shellac--can only find it on the web--no one in town seems to have heard of it....{the web--have to buy like 5 sticks at a time & the shipping is like $12 bucks.} By the way, what's a "french pad??" [An apartment in Paris??} Thanx for the suggestions.

Dear Turmite
    First off your not being rude--probably right--will alcohol on a swab get the wax off ?? Yes they are deep 1/16" wide approximately and staggered along in a row. & yes, the wood is broke--------suggestions now?

Thanx guys

Bill

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

My suggestion is to either refinish the wood or learn to live with the scratches. You might wipe the stock with a bit of Min Wax stain while you are deciding which option is best for you.

Pat Ireland

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can buy the Shellac stick in various colors to match your wood at Brownell's.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Live with it untill you are ready to refinish it.

Joe

12. WWB

WWB Member

I have decided that most of you who replyed are correct...............
    I am going to "live with it".......I am to the point already where I hardly
    notice them, & wonder of wonders, not one person has come up and said- "Gee-
    Your Stock Is Scratched!!"
    Thanks for the thoughts guys
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.