1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on steaming out dents in a stock.......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have an old oil rubbed stock that has a few dents in it. Do I need to remove all the finish first or can I just put a wet rag on the dents and use a hot iron (carefully) over the finish?

This if my first time trying something like this so I'm just askin first.

Bill

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Look at the dents. If there is broken surface (i.e., a place for the stem to enter) you should be OK.

If it is a true oil finish and you need to re-do any of it let me know - I have the oil/wax mixture you'll need.

David D

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I believe you do need to remove all the finish, at least around the area to be repaired. I used a wet cloth with a very large soulding iron. That worked well on small dents. You will need to sand the repair to smooth it out before refinishing. That is just how it worked out for me.

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

An oil finish is not waterproof. don't use the steam from the oron, I wet a sall hand towel and put over the dent then ess the hot iron tip (gently) over the wet towel - repeat several times until the bruised wood under the scratch raises.

I set it aside for a couple of hours to see if need to work on it more. If so, repeat.

I use 600 grit sand paper next, dipped in small drops of your preferred stock oil (I use Tru Oil most of the time) and gently rub around the raised dent. Let it sit for an hour and wipe the spot with fine cloth or finer.

Repeat next several times with finger tip until satisfied that the oils has blended i around the work area

For an epoxy stock I brush out t 'crease' if it hasn' broken through - and use spar varnish in very small quantities (several times) sanding with 600 grit very lightly until flush with surrounding stock - then use a polishing compound to blend with the rest.

If it's deep, through the epoxy and you want to do it right - you have to take it all off being super careful around all inletting and flats and Checkering. I have to REALLY like that stock to do That!

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I had a forearm that I wrapped in e moist towel and put in a microwave along with a cup of water. Worked for me.....

6. drgondog

drgondog Member

Mike - I will ty that with an epoxy stock that I wont lose sleep over)

How long did you run the microwave?

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

IIRC, about 5 minutes....

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

I wonder how much that perazzi stock bolt will Zinnng.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I think its going to be a good project.

Great video. I also clicked on the full length version available at the Midway site. I guess I'm gonna be on the computer for a while...Thanks Bill4807 :)

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do sand first before steaming out dents in a stock

how to steaming out checkering from a stock

krieghoff epoxy stocks varnish