1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

?on Remington 870TC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

Is the barrel of an 870TC marked to set it apart or distinguish it from an ordinary vent ribbed barrel? Thanks. JM

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The old ones are.

You wont find any "production marks" on the left side, where it meets the receiver, like those on a TB, field grade or the later year TC's. The older TC barrels received special factory attention and are some of the best barrels ever produced by Remington. I'd pay more for one of them if I were putting together a shooter.

Good luck.

3. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

How old do they have to be before these TC barrels received special attention? And what would that special attention be? I have a bunch of older 870 barrels and would be interested in learning more.

4. Barry C. Roach

They were taken from the production line and time was taken to make sure they were true. The specific things done to make them true varied to what was necessary.

I don't know how far back Remington did this. They were made throughout the 60's and into the 70's for sure but I'm not sure when they stopped.

Some wiseguys would buy a TB and a TC at the same time and switch barrels. That way they could have the cheaper gun with the best possibility that the barrel was true. Then they'd sell the TC, with the TB barrel, to some unsuspecting soul, for the TC price. Just a cheap dirty trick. This is not to say that all TB "production" barrels were bad. In fact most were probably just as good, performance wise, that is. Most of the time it only affected the value of the guns....and most of the time the perp got away with it.

The same barrels were also used on the higher grade and the custom job 870's beyond the TC's.

It's not a very big deal but it's nice info to know if you're in the gun trading business.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Did TCs have white center bead?

GB
    DLS

6. Barry C. Roach

I don't remember if all had the white center beads. Mine did.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

I heard and read somewhere that Remington Model 31TC barrels are factory backbored which makes them more desirable. I am wondering if the same is true for the 870TC barrels and the 3200TCs?

8. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

There is a video on Youtube of Remington's factory in 1969 that shows some of the steps taken then to produce shotguns and the 700 rifle. It shows a worker hand-straightening a "target" shotgun barrel. The narrator said that was the procedure for all their target shotgun barrels at that time. He didn't go into details such as marking for certain models. Interesting though.

Not sure but I think you must do a search for Remington 1969 or something like that. It doesn't normally show up if you search only Remington Arms. Mark

9. Barry C. Roach

No. Neither any of the 31's or any of the old 870 trapguns were backbored from the factory. The more modern versions may be backbored but I've was out of the gun business by then and ignorant of their specifications.

10. john g.

john g. Member

I have had many remington 31s, 4-TC, 1-long range and 5 field. The TCs and long range all had a larger bore{.735 or .740 } I would have to check the one I have left to see the exact size. The fields were.729

I donot know if the 870 tc was the same.Some newer target barrels have a larger bore.

John G.

11. Barry C. Roach

Just experience as a long time retailer and a relationship with Remington representatives who pointed out the differences to me many years ago. Since the value of the guns was affected by the barrels, I made it my business to know as much as I could about any and all of the guns I would potentially buy and sell.

In the case of bores back then, what the factory bored them was not much of a concern.

12. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

Anyone know when Remington went to a blue shell carrier? My first 870TC had a chrome carrier and the one I have now is blued. Wayne

13. FIB

FIB Member

Wayne I beleive Rem. went with the blued shell carrier sometime in the early-mid '70's.

14. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

I looked through the Remington Sporting Firearms and parts Price List I have early 70s and a few others even earlier. What I found in regards to Remington 870 TB and TC grade barrel assembly is this. They both have the same part # 21145. This info is from original Remington parts books of early period. TB and TC barrels are the same according to the Remington parts book.

15. Barry C. Roach

Whiz. That only means that at the time the parts list was printed Remington had discontinued the practice and the only replacement barrels available for a TB and a TC were the same.

I sold a ton of 870Tsomethings and can assure you that, in the 60's at least, the barrels were different. My own 870TC, bought in 1966 for my high school graduation (a beautiful 150th yr. Anniversary of Remington model) had the hand picked barrel on it. I wish I still had it so I could show you all what The differences are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.