1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on remington 870 TC

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Does anyone know if these guns were backbored? I thought they were because they came with choke tubes in Full, Xtra full and superfull that Just seemed to pattern good in them? thanks

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The TC that I measured with a bore gauge was .733. All 3 of my Competition 870's were factory backbored, at .744 - .746.

3. 333t

333t Member

TC's have been made with different barrels over the years. Some were made with .745 overbored barrels and came with the chokes you mention. The full, extra full, and super full chokes are listed on Remington's choke tube site as "old style - pre-2000" tubes. The website is listed above for your reference. Since the barrels on all of the different 12 gauge 870's are pretty much interchangeable, it is hard to know for certain what came on the gun from the factory unless you are the original owner.

Phil

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

333 is close in his answer but not complete !!! look again at the chart from remington that he posted, the pre 2000 guns were choked completly differant from the now new ones or the very early ones ( I know this is confusing ) the pre 2000 that he mentioned has most of the choke already formed into the barrel before it gets to the actual choke tube this is why they are saying .745-.727 this constriction is built into the barrel before it reaches the tube, you will see if you measure the tube s in this model alone that the constriction of the choke itself is a lot larger that the standard rem chokes, and although the standard chokes will fit into this model gun they will not perform like the data that is printed on then. Example take one of the chokes from the pre 2000 gun marked full Trap and compare ( measurments ) to another rem choke that is just marked Full and you will see the differance. The best thing is ti call remington and give them the serial number of the gun and they can and will tell you the date it was made and then you have to go from there.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My TC was made in the mid-'80s and has a "Target" barrel with a .745" bore. My son's TC was made in 1994 and has a "Target" barrel with a .733" bore. A new "Target" barrel Remington shipped to me a year ago had a .727" bore. A bore gauge is a necessity when working with any barrel, especially these.

Ed

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

ED is very Correct......... Bore Gauge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.