1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

?? on Rem 1100 barrel 12 ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Active Member

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question:
    I have a Remington 1100 barrel (12ga) It is not threaded and when I drop the bore gauge in, it easily goes to CYL. There is nothing on the barrel telling what choke it is. Is there a "code" I should be looking for or do I assume it is a CYL barrel?
  2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Normally it will be stamped with the choke if it is a fixed choke barrel.

Screw in choke barrels are not marked.

Are you sure this barrel has not been reduced in length?
  3. mag410

mag410 Member

An original fixed choke 1100 barrel will be marked on the left side just in front of the receiver. Full, Mod, Mod Trap, IC or Skeet.

RemChoke barrels are not marked.

A barrel that reads CYL is either a Skeet barrel or a barrel that has been shortened enough that all the original choke has been cut off.

Michael
  4. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

There is also a SLIM possibility that it was a factory Cutts barrel. Those were the only non-remchoke barrels that wouldn't have had a choke stamp on them somewhere.
  5. yvonne

yvonne Active Member

The barrel is 29" from end to end....ported. I see nothing stamped to indicate the choke. It says Remington Arms 12 GA for 2 3/4 in shells.

[​IMG]
  6. Brian in Oregon

Barrel length is measured from the rear of the breech to the muzzle, not from the end of the tang to the muzzle.
  7. yvonne

yvonne Active Member

Then I guess it would be a 26" barrel....Do you think it shoots slugs also?
  8. yvonne

yvonne Active Member

I had someone else check the barrel and he found a SKEET stamped on the barrel!!! I say it's way more open than skeet and must have been worked on prior than when I got it...Mystery solved :)
  9. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

I think Remington skeet is about 4 thousands constriction.
  10. Brian in Oregon

You have to measure the muzzle in relationship to the bore a few inches in. The bore will taper down to the constriction. It's this relationship that determines the actual choke, not the muzzle diameter only. The reason is the bore will vary, from .725 to .729, with .727 being typical.

So if you subtract .004 for a skeet barrel, that means the muzzle could range from .721 to .725.

A cylinder bore will be .000, so the muzzle could run .725 to 729.

Note that there is an overlap in the .725 area between the skeet and cylinder barrels IF YOU MEASURE THE MUZZLE ONLY.

This is why you have to have a reference point, which is the actual bore diameter further down the bore, away from the choke and its taper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.