1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outlaw249, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlaw249

Outlaw249 TS Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I have a mec sizemaster set up for 1 1/8 oz lead loads and was wondering why can't just replace the lead with steel it would still be a 1 1/8 oz load.I guess what i'm trying to say is why can't I just load steelshot just like I load my trap loads without changing anything but the lead to steel.
  2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Steel and lead have different densities. Therefore #8 steel does not weigh the same as #8 lead
  3. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

May 27, 2009
    Steal isn't as dense as lead so your charge weight will be off and lead shot wads will not hold up to the harder steel shot which could cause your barrel to get scoured. The type of powder that you use may not be effective for steel loads as they usually use a slow burning powder. You can load bismuth and lead with nearly the same loads, but it would be best to check the load data first.
  4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Feb 16, 2009
    the number of pellets varies greatly from steel to lead. 7/8oz lead load will drop something like 1-1/8oz of steel, so if your bar is set to drop 1.125oz (1-1/8oz.) of lead, it will drop something like 1.625oz (1-5/8oz) of steel. You really should read one of the reloading books to understand the vast differences between lead and steel loading. A book I have not currently in from of me, of course is by Kurt D. Fackler and he goes in to much detail on this very topic.

Hope this helps.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Thats confusing ?? Do you switch by using the same pellet count or reload by weight ?? If your using the same size steel pellet (#8) count - 432 ?? then you would keep your same bushing, pushing less weight and use less powder. If you load 1 1/8 of steel, how many pellets would there be ? Would there have to be a ruling in competition of what you must or can`t use. I hope we don`t have to go to steel but thats my take on it ??
  6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    near Tucson Trap

Me thinks you got your metals in the wrong order! I can see a 7/8ths oz load of steel turning into 1 1/8oz of lead, or why else did the makers go to a 3 1/2 inch hull to get the same wieghts of steel shot down range as compared to the shorter lead payload shells.

Al Lingham
  7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Lead will weigh more than steel of the same size, in the same volume. Its denser.
  8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Use data and components designed for steel shot with Steel Shot and Lead data and components for lead shot. Doing otherwise can be an invitation for disaster. Do a little research and you'll understand the differences.
  9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shot through a shuttle bar is thrown by volume, and standard bars are designed for lead, not steel. Ounce per ounce by volume using lead shot, changes in shot size don't make a radical enough difference to make any given recipe dangerous, but that is with LEAD by volume. If you change to steel the entire relationship of weight per volume changes dramatically. Don't even think about loading steel without studying the differences and understanding them, and the different equipment and components required.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.