1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? on possible stolen property

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I’ve got a question above the morality of receiving “possible stolen property”. I’ve got a guy who has been making me some great offers on merchandise I want and need. The problem is - it is too good of a deal. What’s that old saying - “if it sounds too good it probably is”. The guy says it is on the up and up, but the merchandise the guy is offering is totally different than the business he is in. My question is - where is this guy getting the stuff. He says not to worry. Everything is kosher.

I don’t want to miss this deal, but then again I don’t want to do anything morally wrong, after all I’m an upstanding member of the community. From a legal stand point I will be free and clear. No way are they going to catch me.

What do you guys think? Go for the deal even though it might be shady but there is no way legally they can catch me, if something is amiss?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bisi......If the guy refuses to disclose his source, or cannot produce a valid bill of sale, or some sort of information for you to check out, you already know the answer, don't you? Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Agree with Dan and since you are asking here, you also agree.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

all of the above plus whoever holds stolen property loses it when they figure it out so your good deal would tun into an expensive one. I bought a car once and it turned out a year later to be stolen, I lost the car and the money

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Several years ago an acquaintance called me at my store and asked if I would be interested in purchasing a used pistol. I was and I required a bill of sale and Photo Id. Three weeks after my purchase the Chief of Police and Detective showed up at my door. They asked if I was familiar with the gun and I assured them that I was and that I had bought the gun. The dectective immediately started telling me that I could be charged for receiving stolen property. He changed his mind when I produced a bill of sale and copy of the fella's drivers license. There was nothing I could be charged with under the circumstances but I lost the pistol and money and it wasn't that good of a deal to start with. My Advice, Use disgression when making purchases. Also think of the example you may be setting. Jackie B.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

What is the crime involving receiving stolen property?

Receiving stolen goods is generally buying or acquiring the possession of property knowing (or believing in some jurisdictions) that it had been obtained through theft, embezzlement, larceny, or extortion by someone else. The crime is separate from the crime of stealing the property. To be convicted, the receiver must know the goods were stolen at the time he receives them and had the intent to aid the thief. Paying for the goods or intending to collect the reward for returning them are not defenses. Depending on the value of the property received, receiving-stolen-property is either a misdemeanor or a felony.

There are numerous federal laws that make it a federal crime to receive stolen property (e.g., vehicles, securities) if the property received was or had been in interstate commerce.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been told by PD years ago, that if you paid less than 50% of the retail value of the property new, then you are probably in for a case of knowingly receiving stolen property. Retail value not msrp.

I had a car audio store years ago, that was broken into a few times. I had a kid bring in one of the stolen stereos for me to install, we called the police and he was arrested, when asked how much he paid for the stereo, the kid said a friend gave it to him. We match serial numbers I had on file and off he went. Because he was a minor, and gave up his buddy, that had the rest of the stuff. The charges were dropped against him. His buddy went to jail.

Watch what you buy.

Jerbear

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bisi,

You wrote about this on a computer with an IP address.

You don't really want to do this, do you?

8. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

To thine own self be true and as night shall follow the day, thou can be false to no man. TheFew

9. BT99

BT99 Member

I wouldn't count on being legally free and clear. You're admitting the deal was too good. In this state if a reasonable person would have a reasonable belief that the property was stolen, you could behaving problems.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I think you should wait until we hear from one of the libs before make a final decision.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Since you are asking a question I'll tell you what I think. No-don't buy the goods that your friend will not explane how or who or where on. You know what I mean. My Dad was the fairest guy I ever met and he always said "It takes two people to make a thief, the guy who steals it and the guy who buys it." Dan

12. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Bisi, if it is "possibly" stolen, your words and you get a great deal on it. You are no better than the thief himself. I figure that people who pay 50% of the value stole 50% of the property. the thief stole 100%. No matter what the percent, you would be a thief. Do you want to be known as a thief? Just my thoughts, I am not calling names, just my opinion of what a person who does such things might be.

I would also suggest that it might be a little hard to sleep at night if one were to be a felon, particularly since you would lose the right to own firearms.

Do the right thing,
    Mike

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks guys for your advice! In my gut I wasn't going to go for the deal the guy offered anyway. Just didn't feel or sound right. Sure it sounded good, but in the end I figured it wouldn't bring me nothing but heartache.

Sounds like some of you guys might of ran into this same person. This guy making the offer - says he is from Chicago. At first he told me to call him - Barry. Then he started to go by the name of - Obama or something like that. He went by 2 or 3 names for a while.

He said he could get me everything I needed at a major discount: health care, education, retirement, food to live on, everthing..........I really knew he didn't produce all this stuff himself,but I was hoping. I know now where all that stuff came from, he had to take it or steal it from other people to offer it to me. Well I ain't taking no stolen property.

The only thing I'm left worrying about is how can what this guy does - be legal?

14. 682b

682b Member

Thrives and liars wear the same shoes . Do they fit? Do the right thing and walk. Distance yourself from this individual. JIM

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Good one Bisi. Jackie B. Now if I can just convince so democrats to read this it might make a difference. Jackie B.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well now, you do know where its coming from if what you write is true, he is taking from the rich and giving to the poor or in his words the "middle class" ... There is no way posible for him to give all of what he says without stealing it from someplace or somebody ... I watched a cartoon that he paid 4 or 5 million to publish into what he calls an infomercial last night and if anyone watched it you have to know this guy is so full of it that he is rediculous ... If anything the Politicians promise would even become reality, this would be a far better world that we live in, but it won't so don't get hooked into believing anything he says ... McCain/Palin 2008 and hope for some major policy changes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You can't buy your name back!

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Run the other way this can at the least keep you up nights at the worst get you jailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.