1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miketmx, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have no idea what 100% high means to you but my TMX shoots 9 inches high at 40 yards and that means something to me. I shoot with a leaf spring release trigger and have no idea if the front bead is a little bit under or 10 inches under a 27 yard target at the moment of truth because it is all relative.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Only if you break the target the same distance from the house. The percentage ratio is the amount of the pattern above and below your point of aim at a given distance.

Consequently, a POI of 100% is only at a fixed distance. If that distance is 35 yards it will be lower than 100% at 30 and higher at 40 yards. However, shot drop starts to come into play the further out you go.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Assuming you break the 16 yard target at 35 yards, and the 27 yard target at 47 yards, no. your POI at 47 yards will be higher than at 35 yards. POI for a paticular gun should always be determined at a given yardage. For example, my POI is always set at 28 yards. Others on TS.com start at 13 yards, then double it at 26 yards and triple it at 39 yards. I don't like the "percentage" designation. I use inches above point of aim. My Seitz shoots 11" high at 28 yards. The center of the pattern is 11" above the POA (point of aim)at 28 yards. My pattern at that yardage is about 20-22" diameter, so when asked, I say 11" at 28 yards or approx 100% high.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bill, I don't like percentages either, because almost no one understands what they actually mean. The percentage system was created using a standard 30" diameter pattern at 40 yards. If the 30" pattern was 60% above POA and 40% below, the gun was said to shoot 60/40. A gun that had 100% of the 30" pattern above the POA was said to shoot 100% high.

Most trap shooters believe you actually count the number of pellets to determine percentages. That's rubbish, and why I, like DC, prefer inches above POA. It also makes calculating answers to questions like yours easier.

If a 100% gun puts the entire 30" pattern above the POA (assumed to be the center of a 30" circle, the POI must be 15" higher than the POA. It is. For trap shooting distances you can forget about shot drop, etc., and just interpolate for other distances.

With your 100% gun, the one that shoots 15" high at 40 yards, your POI will be 34/40 x 15" = 12.75" above POA for a 34 yard singles target and 42/40 x 15 = 15.75" above POA for a quick 27 yard handicap shot.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt- Gravity will drop the shot charge almost 1 inch over the 11 yard difference between the 16 and the 27 yard line.

Pat Ireland

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

That depends on what planet you are on. HMB

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The sure kill pattern of most FC guns is about 22-24 inchs at 35 yards, not 30 inchs. As such, a gun shooting 11-12 inchs high at 35-40 yards is about 100% high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.