1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? on POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunjoej, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

At 13 yards a laser boresighter shows me my gun shoots 5" high on bottom barrel and 3" high on top barrel.

What is my POI and how much should I be floating the target from the 16 yard line?

I know most individuals do not like laser bore sighting to check POI,but this is better than not checking POI at all.

Thanks for any information you may have to offer.

Joe

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It is not better than checking nothing at all. You now have information you cannot trust, and want to use it to answer a question that can only be answered by you.

Did you rotate the bore-sighter in the barrel and try again to make sure it was concentric? Do you have choke tubes? Do you know if they are all concentric? Is your stock pitch correct? Are you shooting a light, fast load, or a heavy, slow one? Do you hold low on the house? Is your move to target fast or slow? Is your trigger fast or slow?

Try actually shooting for POI, then answer these questions. Or, go out to Post 3 and shoot straightaways and see for yourself.

3. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

The boresighter I purchased is used by high end gun dealer to fit stocks on K-guns in Colorado. Lets assume it is sitting in bore properly.

Joe

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Multiply your numbers by 3 and that will tell you where the center of your pattern is at 39 yards. Shoot a few 35-40 yard patterns and draw a circle around the part of the pattern that is sufficiently dense that there are no obvious target size holes. That is your "sure kill" pattern and with most chokes it will be about 22-24 inchs in diameter. If so, 4" above the POA at 13 yards will give you about a 100% high pattern.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does the bore sighter tell you what the effect of gravity on the shot string is? HMB

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the 4" high POI be relatively the same at 40yds...because of gravity? A month or so ago, I believe Neil mentioned this because I was asking why pattern at 13 yds and not 40yds.

Here it is....

http://trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=154404

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nobody can tell you this.

Nobody.

No-body.

Did I say, "nobody?"

I think I said nobody.

(...but that won't stop them from trying...here they come now...)

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'm not the Expert on barrel dynamics but I have always found that when fitting the gun it is always best to shoot it and not trust the devices. It's also preferable to shoot a pattern or two at the range you intend on shooting at targets. Both the height of the shooters eyes and how he is aiming or pointing the target will effect a difference in the down range impact. Brooks knows this one he posted one head tilting and impacts.

Having said the above I would guess that your between 85/15 and 100% high.
    Joe

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jim, I have three different bore sighters and have yet to see one that I trust totally. I don't know the one that you have as you didn't state but even if a K80 dealer uses it doesn't mean they are efficient. You really need to spend the time and shoot the board.

10. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

Thank you for all the input. I'll take every ones advice and go to the pattern board to check the lasers accuracy.

I report back on how the two methods compare.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.