1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on P/W loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have some play between the lower and upper actuaring arms on my 800+. I believe its in the hex shaft but not sure but I can move the upper and lower arms in seperate directions about a 1/4 inch. . Would this cause the loader to sometimes act like its bound or jumps alittle just as the shell ejector starts to push a loaded shell out of the shell holder?

I took the handles off the shot and powder bushing plates and took them out and cleaned but that is as far as I went.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bill

2. STOS

STOS Member

Alot of times that is caused by not having enough taper on the end of the shell.Increase your taper adjustment on your final crimp.[The nut on top of the spring]

3. likes-to-shoot

I'll try more taper. Thanks for the suggestion.

I should have added that the machine is smooth with no shells in the shell holders and I moved the final knockout housing with my fingers and it wasn't catching on anything. I'm sure you guys are aware how noise and vibrations move through an assembly, that's why I'm asking here to see if anyone else has gone through this..

I try to keep things lubed up good but I'll also look to see if a certain shell station is causing problems although I use STS Green and Gold.

Bill

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

How much play do you have on the Upper Actuating Arm when the handle is in the all the way back position? If you have more than and 1/8" or so (see last photo), then there is some adjusting that should be done, and it is rather involved.

Download and read my "Replacing the Upper Actuating Arm," and "Installing a new Index Pad" PDF's from my above site. Also, if your Upper Link/Actuating Arm is loose (left-to-right), and/or the smaller Lower Actuating Arms are similarly loose, then the horizontal hex shaft could be worn, and/or the two 1/8" hex screws on either side could be loose (see first photo). They MUST be tight.

I assume we are talking about the 800 Series and not the 900/950/Platinums.

Hard ejection can be caused from using steel based hulls such as Rio, Kemen, Gun Clubs, etc. Should this be what you are using, then I'd line up about 10-12 of them and spray them with WD40 around their metal bases, insert them and reload. If ejection seems a bit wasier, then that's where the problem lies.

Dies ID run around 0.802"-0.805". If your happen to be on the narrow side of tolerances, AND you are using steel based hulls, then you will have exactly the problems discussed here.

Removing the shot and powder handles does nothing. However, inserting them vertically into the center threaded holes in these shut-off plate and them removing the plates entirely - that's where you should clean... under the plates. Be careful, as the detent ball-bearing and its related coil spring may fall out.

In a nut shell, and if I had to GUESS, I'd have to conclude as others have, and that it's the base of the hull holding on for dear life at station 8.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. likes-to-shoot

Here's the skinny so far.

Yes it is a 800+.

I use STS Green and Gold.

When I took the handles off it was the shut off plates I cleaned under which it needed.

I unhooked the hydro unit and put the handle on and run the press real slow feeling for anything I could find. There were two shell holders side by side that were holding the shells tight before they were pushed far enough to drop. I took them out and tried other shells by hand and they were tighter than the other shell holders.
    All the other dimensions seem ok but I do think when I dis-assemble the press for its cleaning and lube I'll replace the hex shaft as there is some play.

Thanks for your replies

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.