1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On Ljutic, Seitz, Kolar, Bowen etc.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

A shooting buddy clued me in about these wonderful guns. We see many at the gun club, but only one shot well by a good guy who happens to be a senior vet. with lots of experience and talent. Our conclusion is that those guns demand custom fitting by the first time and serious buyer. On the open market, used, the guns depreciate a good deal 'cause they only/usually work best for the person for whom the gun was originally configured. The second or third etc. buyer falls in love with the gun due to its beauty in wood and metal and workmanship. But...and the big but so often, the second hand buyer overlooks that the gun is not fitting as well as it could. Often the buyer is older and well-heeled, somewhat new to shooting and loving it, and figures a little misfit is ok...and maybe is at their level as they are developing their style.

Therefore, I think a Ljutic, for example, with almost worthless wood, with price that reflects the condition of the wood and maybe worn bluing, would be a delight and a lucky find to the advanced shooter who knows what he or she wants and, more importantly NEEDS.

Responses, Disagreements? Appreciate others' take on this.

2. Message_Deleted_Twice

Message_Deleted_Twice TS Member

Disagree! IMHO your bud's are without a clue on this subject!

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I saw my Ljutic in 1982 and it had worn bluing and a "fence post" for a stock but when I shot it in 1983, and ran 75 straight with it and having never shot one before, I knew it was for me. It has since had a superb reblue and has been treated to some very tasty marbled English walnut and It's still my go-to singles and caps gun. All the high-end single barrel trap guns are good and are built by people who are passionate about what they do. Ljutic started it all and build a tank of a trapgun.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But if one is considering buying a Ljutic, Seitz, Kolar, Bowen, etc., would it not serve them better to go the factory for a fitting/adjustment given that committment? Or buy one new by going to Yakima. Or by a K-80 or KX-5 or some kind of adjustable Perrazi if that shooter doesn't want to go to the trouble of getting a Ljutic etc. let alone the desired POI?

Actually, I have a couple of expensive guns and shoot them as well as I can shoot anything, but do lust for a Ljutic fitted exactly to me given that one day my style is solid enough to warrant a "lifetime" gun.

5. pdq

pdq Member

Change2:

I think you have a couple of options if a Ljutic is what you'd like -- I have one and as others have commented they are built like a tank -- truly a lifetime gun if given reasonable care. Your first option is to buy a used one where the wood is beat up and use the money you save to have a custom stock fitted and built. Or, get one with pretty wood and have it fitted with an adjustable comb (if it doesn't already have one) and adjustable butt plate for a small amount of money. Get those 2 things dialed in and then start breaking targets. Mine came from the factory with standard stock dimensions and an adjustable comb and I find it very comfortable.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bowen vs seitz

ljutic vs bowen