1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? on K-80 case colored receiver

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Aug 1, 2013.

1. kenf

kenf Active Member

If anyone is shooting the K-80 with a case colored receiver, I was wondering how they hold up finish wise or how many 'annuals' they can go before needing recolored? I'm sure it is a personal thing, just like some guys sweat wearing bluing faster than others. The nickel receivers are nice- just going to be looking for something a bit different.

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Maybe I can answer your question. I had a hard case-colored k-80 until a few months ago. I bot it a couple years ago, and the lacquer finish was all but wore off. I had bot a case colored touch-up kit from Galazan and it worked great, and brought the color back. Case color is not the most durable finish,one finish below blue. But, I enjoyed the multi-colors it had. If you had to send back to Krieghoff to have redone, the last estimate was $4400.00. A little high. Any question you may have, send a PM.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I always liked the look of case hardened actions, but the rigors of target use will likely prevent me from every buying a gun with one.

$4400, thats nuts. You can buy an entire used K80 receiver and iron for that much. I almost wonder if for that price, they are keeping your old one and selling you a new one. Sure would be cheaper and easier for them to do that then try to reharden the one you already have.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Ian, no, that is what Krieghoff charges to redo the case colored receivers. That is the same price just for the upgrade. I agree with what you are saying.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any competent Gunsmith and can heat color a receiver in a couple of minutes. if the receiver is polished and off the gun.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Shot410ga your wrong! Don't recolor a K-80 receiver. Touch up yes. If your woried about the longevity of a cased receiver have it clearCoated with something like Imron. I do it for $150 and it lasts about $5 years of normal daily service if your rough on your equiptment then the nitrated receiver is best for you.

Joe

7. skeet_man

If you want real old-world case hardening, go to Doug Turnbull. Probably the best known and most highly respected person in the world with that capability.

His charge: $250 for a boxlock shotgun (I would assume plus disassembly/reassembly). Still under 1/10 of what Krieghoff wants.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Krieghoff contracts Doug to do their case colors.

Now the question becomes what to do if the metal shifts/warps during hardening, which I've heard of happening before. It would also be interesting to know if Krieghoff would work on a gun that was hardened by someone else.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

No Krieghoff sends all metal back to germany for finish ir engraving! Turnbull is good but DON'T SEND A K-80 TO HIM YOU WILL VOID ANY FACTORY SUPPORT.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Call Braxton at KI in Ottsville, and he will give you the rundown on Case Color options on your Krieghoff.

10. skeet_man

gun fitter- If the factory warranty is expired, what do you lose?

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

You loose any factory support that means if you have to have krieghoff or a krieghoff dealer work on it they probably won't.

Joe