1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? on handicap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have been shooting 16's for years now I want to just concentrate on handicap shooting. I will start at the 20 so how do you get yardage punches and who tells you the ATA or the people running the shoot? Do you have to win or if it is a small shoot just have a good score? And do they give it out 1/2 yard at a time? Just wanted to know how it works thanks

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

ATA Rules, Section VI, D, page 23

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, Glad to see your going to start shooting some handicap!!! Their are two ways to get a punch, first is to win the handicap shoot in first place. That will get you 1/2 yards to 3 yards depending on how many shooters are shooting against you. Most times its only a 1/2 yard at your local shoots. Second is if you shoot a 96 that will earn you a l/2 yard even if you don't win, and a 97 I believe will get you a whole yard, even if you don't win. They will combine the win and 96 or 97 together as well in one shoot. So if you win with a 96 you can get a l/2 yard for winning and another l/2 yard for the 96, so you would get punched a whole yard for that shoot. Don't worry about it, just take one target at a time and try to win your 19-21 yard class at shoots and the rest will fall into place as time goes on. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

It's true, there is, sometimes, some good information on this site.

Unfortunately, Jeff's post isn't one of those times.

You do not get punched for both a score and a win. And there isn't an instance where you would get 3 yards.

Other than that ...

Your best bet is to read the Rule Book, as "MTA Tom" indicated.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Do you know at the shoot or does someone there tell you or do you figure it out yourself?

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

targetmaster,

You need to know that all scores of 96 and above get a punch. If you shoot one of those scores, go to the handicapping/cashiering area at the completion of the event and tell them you need to get a punch. Bring your paper average card with you.

If you shoot a score of less than 96, but nobody shoots a score higher than 95, there's a possibility you might get a punch. Ask someone at the handicapping/cashiering area.

When in doubt, ask.

But you should get your punch before you leave the shoot. If not, and you shoot from the wrong yardage, you will be disqualified for that event.

Like I said, when in doubt, ask.

Have fun.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sorry Targetmaster, V10 was correct about the combined high score and shooting a 96 or better. It made me look at the rule book myself. I won a handicap event with a 97 and got a one yard punch for winning the event, but it was for the 97 only it appears. I thought it was a l/2 for the score and another l/2 for the win and that is what happens when I assume. Also the most you can move back in a single 100 target event is 2 l/2 half yards and not the 3 I copied from what someone said on here during the Grand 2 months ago. A score of a 97 or better will still get you a one yard punch even if you don't win. I hope I did not confuse you to much. But you will earn a l/2 yard punch for any high score you shoot as long as there are 15 to 39 shooters in the event. I have got a l/2 yard punch for a 90 score on a windy day as that was the high score for that event. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do i figure the handicap in trap shooting

how do you calculate handicap in trap shooting

how do you figure the handicap distance in trap shooting

how to figure handicap in trap shooting

trap shooting handicapping

trap shooting scored a 35 in handicaping

what yardage do you start at when shoting handicap trap