1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? on future product F/S - Shooting Vest Extender

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I know I'm going to get blasted from the "thread patrol police" for putting this in the shooting threads...But~ Is there a market for the vest extender? I've researched and made a few and now have a supplier for the YKK zipper that the vest will accept for fit. If you check your vest or jacket, it was probably put together with a YKK (made in the USA!) zipper. Most designers and manufacturers use the YKK zipper.(I made the mistake of buying a few C&C zippers, which is the home sewer zipper) I can make them in Black, Forest Green, Khaki, Navy Blue, Designer fabrics, etc. To save cost it seems the way to go is order the zippers in black (quantity) and make the extender panels in colors to match the vest. The panel would be 16" length and a choice of approx 2" or 3" width. (your choice...I'll also do custom widths) I've made a few for local fellas and the 16" length works well. Sometimes it doesn't reach fully to the top of the vest, but none of them had chest expansion ~ only waist expansion. Seems those vests somehow shrink in the closet over the years ;) The expansion panel will enable you to use a favorite vest that has "shrunk" and avoid buying a new one. What do you think I should fairly charge, including postage? Do you think this is a product shooters will buy?

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Yvonne,

As most people get older, their vests seem to shrink a little. Many have vests that have sentimental value and would like to continue wearing even after they shrink. Some of these vests have hard earned patches and awards.
    I bet you would you product would sell. Sell them for what the market will allow.
    Nice idea!

John

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I think it is an excellent idea. To sell I suspect that the 20-30 dollar range is about where they should be. Any more and I suspect folks will talk themselves into a new vest especially if there are a few years on the old one. Just a guess on my part.

--- Chip King ---

4. yvonne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some previews. The vest extender will be made with a NON metal Sport Separater zipper. They will all be made with YKK zippers. You need to check your zipper pull to be sure the zipper pull says YYK. If it says anything else, you need to tell me. I will start production next week. I should have the zippers in stock by then. Stock colors will be Black, Navy, Forest Green and Khaki. I will do custom orders (red/white/blue stars, etc) Once I have an inventory of fabrics, I'll post them. You will need to check the FOR SALE section of this website, as I am doing this as information only on a new product. I will NOT sell these on the shooting thread page. I would appreciate any suggestions on this thread and NO advance sales until I can get an inventory and post on the FS section. PM me with any suggestions, ect or post here. Thanks!

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I coulda used that 15 years ago when I bought mine. I got some extra fabric with it when I bought it and my wife added it. Now she's gonna have to take it out since I lost 150 lbs. Hangs on me like a tent now.

Ron Burr

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Yvonne. I have a friend who works for Burlington. His division makes wool fabrics for the manufacture of Police uniforms. A few years back he gave me three "end of runs" bolts because I told him I wanted to have a vest made for me. This is very high quality stuff and I have it in black and powder blue.

I'll give it to you if you want it. You pay the freight. There's enough for a lot of your extensions, if you can use it.

7. yvonne

Barry ~ Could you PM me with the weight of the BLACK material. I doubt if I'd use the powder blue. I appreciate the offer!

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have no idea, Yvonne. Just a thought.

9. yvonne

I mean the shipping weight from your zip code ;) If you think the material will work for the vest extenders, I believe you!

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing new here, thse\\ese have been available for years. British Sporting Arms vests come with a 2" extender built in

11. yvonne

Hey EuroJoe - Could you tell me if they're STILL available?? I know Kreighoff sold them with their vests, as did Bob Allen, and apparently The Brits. I cannot find them anywhere! That's why I decided to make them. Another American trying to use American made products to sell to Americans. If you find them on the internet, I'd really love to see it. Maybe the product won't sell and I'd like to know before I invest my money. I already have the American made zippers arriving Monday and the American made material for the middle and American made thread. If the vest extenders can be made in China for less, I guess I'm SH*T outta luck on this product. Maybe I should get an ObamaCard and try to make a living that way ;)

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have lost about 30 pounds in the last year and I will be glad to donate
    the extra material from two vests if anyone needs it.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yvonne, I don't remember when and where I got it. I think it was British, Ganton
    I've got a Barbour vest that appears to use YKK zippers. The one I've got is actually a two stage deal, I've had it for years. If you PM me your address, I'll send it to you. I've always been a vest freak, got many I haven't worn in years, but there seems to be numerous different zippers used.
    Don't forget the winter shooters, some of us shoot in the cold, I would think that a good part of your market would be for cold weather shooters wanting to wear their vest over more clothes. Good luck with your enterprise!

14. yvonne

The zippers came in...They were one tooth size too small. New zippers coming on Thursday. The material is ariving on Thursday. 2 posters here are sending me their old vest extenders and they should be here this week. Production will start this weekend. I'll post in the FS section on Monday to start taking orders. The price will be $20, including shipping. If you order 2 the price will be $35, including shipping. The colors will be Black, Forest Green, Khaki and Navy Blue. I will offer custom colors in the nest month. The zipper will be a YKK #5 zipper in 16" length.

15. yvonne

Well Boxbirder....I guess if you can afford to buy $189 vests, you don't need my extender, it just comes with your vest. You probably never shoot with a sweatshirt or a jacket under your vest either. Weather must be ducky where you shoot and you get to shoot in your tank top all year round ;)

16. yvonne

Production has started and I have my first order! This is the end of this thread. I now have a thread started in the For Sale sections and will take orders for my vest extenders and shot bag products from the FOR Sale section. Hope to see you there! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shooting vest zipper extension
vest extenders for zippers
yvonne coat expander

zip in extenders for motorcycle jacket

zipper extender

zipper extender for jacket

zipper extender for jacket ykk

zipper vest extenders