1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On dazzlewood stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by redhawk44, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I see a lot of hi-end guns with stocks on them that cost at least as much as an entry level trap gun (think BT99). I have a couple of questions about this.

No 1, how does a highly figured and sometimes even exotic wood stock enhance the performance of a shotgun? And no.2, when the cheaper guns like the Mossburg and the Remingtom Express guns are stocked, what kind of "hardwood" is normally selected as stock material?

I have also seen quit a number of laminated wood stocks, some of which are quite attractive and virtually all of which--I would venture--offer excellent servicability at a reasonable price.

And why not painted hardwood stocks? If I had a choice between a good paint job on a hardwood stock and a nicely figured walnut stock, I think I would choose the painted stock.

So, boys, is it just me, or is this fancy stock thing a little overdone?

2. Bob A

Bob A TS Member

I won't split hairs about fine wood stocks but one of my favorite OUs for sporting clays came from the manufacturer with a painted stock. That was the Browning Signature model.

Bob

3. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

The look of the stock has nothing to do with the perfomance of the gun. The fit of a stock has all to do with the performance of a gun, and if you got it flaunt it.......Roger

4. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

It also has a little to do with confidence, if you have a nice gun with a nice piece of wood, i think that makes a person more confident in the gun there shooting. When everything looks nice.

Mr. Marcy

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

A 400 pound woman can probably coook just as well as a young, beautiful woman, if all you want out of life is functionality. Some appreciate beauty for beauty's sake. Others just don't get it.

Bob

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I had a beautiful girlfriend once and it was the most miserable 6 months of my life.....

Beauty is as beauty does.....

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well, I love having a stunning piece of wood on my nice gun. But, I also sure do like to look a beautiful wood. I even paid a bunch to have it put in my house on the floors and cabinets. I sure do like to see beautiful expertly done wood work or other hand work. But then, I go to museums in big cities and look at art (if you can imagine). My office has a beautiful view which I pay for, even though I could do the same work in a dump. I also am a sad Pavarotti died. I think life is too short. Must be some funny gene. JAKE

8. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Not everything done to a trap gun is to enhance performance. Stock and engravin/inlays being examples. Many shooters enjoy the beauty of nicely grained wood which is checkered well as well as metal work. If you wish to shoot a gun with picnic table grade wood, you should. At the same time, you should not make disparaging remarks about those who enjoy shooting a fine gun. Your jealousy is showiwng through.

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

In reading this thread, I don't see where anyone, including myself, said anything disparaging about anybody.....did I miss something?

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I do my own stockwork and the pride of ownership I feel contributes to my performance. And the fact that I'm a sucker for a fine piece of lumber!!

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I love the look of nice wood...but I prefer the comfort of not having to cry when someone at the club bangs their gun into mine and leaves a ding.

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"...And no.2, when the cheaper guns like the Mossburg and the Remingtom Express guns are stocked, what kind of "hardwood" is normally selected as stock material?"

Birch and maple are very common.

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Nice looking wood stocks and forends are like women. The longer you have them the more you love them.

Had a friend with a new 325 with grade III wood. He took it out of the box at the club and went to shoot. On the first round a target blew up and out on low 7. His hand was cut badly and the 325 had a piece of target imbedded in the forearm. We both wanted to cry.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well, I gotta say that at least occasionally, the longer you have a woman, the less you like em. You know the old joke, no matter how beautiful a woman is, somewhere there is a man who is tired of her crap. Jake

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Jakearoo - another old one is never ever marry an ugly woman as she will just wear you down. Why shoot an ugly gun if you can afford a pretty one??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.